Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this game is horribly low on content out here and most of me loves the game I thought I would try and start a discussion on variants.

1. I've seen plenty of people mention starting all stats at two or giving a certain number of points out at the beginning for you to distribute. I am going to adopt the second option (mabye starting with 5). This will give people the option to specialize their character at the beginning.

2. Roll and move upsets some people. The frustration of the mechanism just bothers people. I've been playing around with movement is from 1 to 3. You can not return to a space that you just left. Move Cards Add to your movement range so a 4 would move you from 5 to 7. Move cards become a valuable late game commodity since they will allow you to land on the same type of square multiple turns in a row. This will be the most controversial change I assume.

3. I have seen 6 being rolled for spells ruin peoples game. So we will be adding a 5.5 and a 6 spot to the sheets. Meaning it takes two +1 Spell turns to increase from 5 to 6.

4. Talking chips. It just doesn't feel right to me. It takes so much time for everyone to talk to everyone else. What if I'm not ready to talk to that person. Just seems forced. Maybe a couple of tokens per person and you have to pick one person to talk to. Everyone else stays at the table and may talk "Publicly". In a 4 player game this is effectively also a private conversation but it keeps things moving.

To me this game is supposed to be about the deduction. Who are your opponents? How do I accomplish my best endgame given what everyone else is trying to do. This game has a level of intrigue that I have not seen in other games. I have high hopes for shadow hunters but it still lacks the bell/book/candle concept. I may be over thinking things here but right now there is just too much random in the game and it can run a little long sometimes.

Ok. let's hear if people love or hate my ideas. Or any of your house rules to help a good game be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
This all sounds pretty good. I'll put your ideas in the box and will take them for a spin next time we play. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Mangiameli
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
This is probably my #1 favorite board game. Someday I'll post a strategy guide or review for it, but for now:

I take a simple approach of saying that turn 0 is everyone 'landing' on a +1 spell. Thus, just before game start, every player acts as if they just landed on '+1 Spell.' I find it's simple and helps speed the beginning of the game up by a few minutes, since +1 spell is equally beneficial to all players.
I don't use the idea of starting with all spells at level 2, for 2 reasons
1) This is a bonus of variable use to any character that doesn't gain points for ruling a specific country. Someone playing an advanced character would be unlikely to put points into Learn Country except to fool opponents.

2) I use the advanced rules where you can choose Knowledge, Power or Wealth. A flat 'start at level 2' is incompatible with this, but a simple 'gain +1 spell' synergizes just fine.

I love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.