Casey Kretschman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi -

I'm a literate adult (mostly), and I've got a 5 year old son who's not quite able to read yet. But he's good with counting, can follow directions, and understand the rules of games. For example he plays Too Many Monkeys with no help, and when my wife and I play the DC Superhero Deck Builder, he hands us the kicks we buy and refills the main row on his own.

I know that's an option to solo play this game.

Any parents out there think that I could 'solo' play this with my 5 year old in charge of one hero with a serious helping hand from Dad? Would it be possible for us to play with 3 heroes so that when my wife is available, all three of us can play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casey Kretschman wrote:
Hi -

I'm a literate adult (mostly), and I've got a 5 year old son who's not quite able to read yet. But he's good with counting, can follow directions, and understand the rules of games. For example he plays Too Many Monkeys with no help, and when my wife and I play the DC Superhero Deck Builder, he hands us the kicks we buy and refills the main row on his own.

Any parents out there think that I could 'solo' play this with my 5 year old in charge of one hero with a serious helping hand from Dad? Would it be possible for us to play with 3 heroes so that when my wife is available, all three of us can play?

I think it would be possible. Give him a more simple character, like maybe Valeros. That will mean he can know that for combat he gets to play a weapon (he won't have to mess with spells) and he can use blessings or allies to boost his checks. If he can match the number from his character card (Valeros's d10 Strength) to the correct shape die, all the better.

You'll definitely have to give him a helping hand, but I think it is at least worth a shot that he can understand the mechanics of the game.

The images on the card might be a little bit of an issue, depending on your preferences and your kids sensitivity. I know even my 7 year old might find some of the zombies and such a bit disturbing. But I'm assuming you know the game, know yourself, and know your kid and can make that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!!! Do play PACG with your kids. It's co-op, you can kind of "DM" it along and help your kid out. It's mathy and has all kinds of dice, that's a good thing for kids to work on.

And you can roleplay and trash talk and make up stories and do whatever you want.

The object of RPGs is to have fun so boardgames that emulate RPGs are perfect for little kids and grownups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Casey Kretschman wrote:
Hi -

I have 4 kids of ages 4,6,8,15.
each have their own interests in games, their own tastes and most importantly different attention span.
I would rather try to play Mice and Mystics with the younger ones as you can guide them but they still have some choices and can grasp the theme and keep focused longer. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is a bit too abstract i think to immerse them, and let them make in any relevant choices, they will only roll dice mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At that age, you may need to supply more of a story line to the game, both so that he can understand what the cards say, and to keep his interest up. However, I think it's do-able as long as you keep his character simple and give him a lot of help with the more difficult mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking back on my own mindset as a 5-year old I'm going to say no. The gameplay is not going to be engaging having someone else direct your card plays for you.

I'd suggest Defenders of the Realm if you own that title. It requires a lot less hand-holding and your 5 year-old gets to roll dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say go for it. I play Talisman with my 5 year old and as long as I do the majority of the reading and sort of give him his options for his turn he is totally fine.

I have yet to play my PACG with him, I plan to do so in the near future and I feel that provided I maintain the same guidance, give him his options, then I think he will grasp the concepts of the game and enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dungeon also worked well with my 5 year old

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play this in the same way you could play any game with your son. You will, of course, have to read all of his cards, and help with play, and new cards enter your hand/deck very often, so this will be a permanent feature of play.

If you are asking if this is a fairly suitable game for a 5-year old in the grand scheme of games available, I'd have to say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder is not a good choice of game for a child of that age. There are plenty of games which he will find much easier to understand and more enjoyable. Save it for when he's a couple of years older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe your son has a better attention span than mine, but it's all I can do to get my 4 1/2 year old through a game of snakes and ladders. He might enjoy watching me play solo, but I think he'd soon be more interested in rolling dice (I always play with a pile on the table) or looking at the pictures on the cards. I probably wouldn't try it with a child younger than about 10, or perhaps a slightly younger child who was especially interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.