Greg C
msg tools
A friend of mine has just posted a new Kickstarter for some playmats that are great for any space game. Check out the link below for Stellar Vista Playmats by Wargaming Industries.

I have played a few games on their prototypes and have to say they are a step up from the GF-9 Mats. Durable and with just at bit of "grip" to them to make them perfect for X-Wing, Star Trek Attack Wing, or any other space ship combat game. Plus some of the extras are really nice add-ons.

Check the Kickstarter out here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1763861491/stellar-vist...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks neat, but is there anymore information on the materials?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Claussen
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, without knowing the material, they seem expensive when you can get a BCG battle map for about $10 cheaper...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg C
msg tools
Mats are vinyl.

Have to admit I am not familiar with BCG mats. Are they printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Burns
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might back just for the pack of planets and asteroids, can't have too many of those (I'm pretty happy with the maps I have already). It would be especially cool if they make a couple of moons that are scaled to the planets, since there's a complete lack of those from the actual game.

$15,000 seems a bit ambitious though. The DS'Tone guys got around 10k with theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebaghead wrote:
True, without knowing the material, they seem expensive when you can get a BCG battle map for about $10 cheaper...

BCG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Claussen
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... Apparently I got my anagrams mixed up. I meant HCD. They are neoprene printed mats (kind of like giant mouse pads) and they are very nice. Check them out..

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/hcd96669.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwin
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see anything re: the 36" x 72" mats on the Kickstarter. Where did that come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am more interested in these magnetically receptive mats I noticed in the X Wing Forums.

The idea is that the map is kind of like a big fridge magnet, except it isn't actually a magnet, but acts more like the fridge - you can put magnets on your base, and they stick to the mat.

I like that idea, especially if you magnetize the maneuver templates too. You don't need gun metal/earth magnets either. Just weak little fridge magnets should do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Availability/existence of mats is a solved problem for most everyone, however more and varied die-cut counters for obstacles, ships, debris, objectives, moons, etc. is interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg C
msg tools
Jack,

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see anything re: the 36" x 72" mats on the Kickstarter. Where did that come from?

Think of this as a BGG exclusive. The 36" x 72" mat is one of the stretch goals to be unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It would be interesting to know how these vinyl mats will compare to those printed by BannersontheCheap, for instance. BotC will usually custom print a 36x36 mat for a very reasonable $12-15 depending on the sales at the time.

Demonstrating that these mats are of a superior quality in one way or another to those other well known vinyl-mat options (if true) will help gain much more support for the overall project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hillman
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Seems to me GF9 already has this covered for the same money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.