United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for recommendations for a Co-Op game for a 10 year old girl, 13 year old girl, and a 14 year old boy.

When playing games they all start out fine, but fighing always occurs later in the game. What I am hoping to do is find a game that will get them working together as a team to bring them closer together. Of course it can't be too complicated for the 10 year old, but not to boring for the 14 year old (or an adult playing with them).

Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you ruling out games with secret traitors like Shadows over Camelot and Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game?

If so, take a look at Flash Point: Fire Rescue. There's also Pandemic. Both are expandable.

I prefer Lord of the Rings, but I don't know if it's still in print and available for a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might take a look at Mice & Mystics. Of all the coop games I have it seems the best one for the age spread of your children. Otherwise you might consider an RPG to get them to learn to work together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are younger but really like Defenders of the Realm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 year old daughter has been asking to play Forbidden Island over and over. She relies on us to guide her for most of her actions, but a 10, 13 and 14 year old should be fine on their own.

I can't wait to play Mice & Mystics with my daughter when she's a bit older. I don't think she has the attention span for it just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mice & Mystics
+1 for Flash Point

Castle Panic + Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower - it's technically semi coop, but if your kids are prone to fighting over the game, you may want to skip the whole "master slayer" thing and just play pure coop.

I think which one probably depends on which theme would appeal most to your kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Big +1's for:

Castle Panic, possibly with Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower
Mice and Mystics
Forbidden Island

As they get older, you'll find some excellent co-op games waiting for them, too (I am a fan of Eldritch Horror and Robinson Crusoe...one day I will be able to play these with my daughter). I am really happy to be living in a time when these gaming opportunities are available for parents and kids to enjoy together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Forbidden Island (great first co-op)
+2 Forbidden Desert (more challenging, but more satisfying to win)
+1,000,000 Flash Point: Fire Rescue (huge replayability and TOTAL teamwork challenge - our family's favorite)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rochford
United States
Summerfield
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Forbidden Island (cheap first co-op)
+1 Castle Panic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebbecca Barry
United States
CHILTON
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids and the kids in our game group are in that age range and they really love Forbidden Desert, Pandemic, Mice and Mystics, and Castle Panic. In addition, they also really like playing Escape: The Curse of the Temple .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
I'm shocked that I am 5 posts in and nobody has yet mentioned Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert. These games are perfect as an entry-level co-op experience. Hanabi is a bit different, but it is also a good entry-level co-op that encourages problem solving and teamwork.

Defenders of the Realm fired Forbidden Island for us unless there is a time crunch. We still like Forbidden Island and I can also support Castle Panic as a fun choice - we just got Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower and haven't tried it yet. My kids are 6 and 8 BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most have been mentioned already, but I'll add some to the list:

Galaxy Defenders

Castaways (technically semi-co-op)
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game (again, technically semi co-op, but easy to play co-op)

Sentinels of the Multiverse Superb super hero game

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) - will need a player to be the Overlord
Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror - theme might be an issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Castle Panic - definitely.
+1 Escape: Curse of the Temple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Wolf
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Very fun coop game. Quick play time +/- 45 mins. Lots of team work.

+1 Mice and Mystics
Also very fun, but comes with more of a story than Flashpoint. There's a story line with numerous chapters, each which build on the other. We found it quite engaging.

+1 Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Not a 'pure' coop, as an overload is needed. But if you don't mind a them vs you game, this can work. It's a dungeon crawler that can be played with individual sessions, or as part of a campaign, which then takes longer to complete. My boys like this a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an almost 10 and almost 8-year-old who love coop games (as do I). I also work with scouts and have played coops with younger teenagers. Here are some of the games that have clearly risen to the top for us in these groups that you should definitely consider:

Shadows over Camelot (if you are worried about your kids fighting, you should probably leave out the traitor and play pure coop; still very fun IMO)
Lord of the Rings
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Castle Panic
Flash Point: Fire Rescue (this has family rules and more advanced rules so you can tailor it a bit)
Pandemic

I think any of these would fit what you are looking for. Although these have varying levels of complexity, I think all of them can work for the age range you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Sentinels of the Multiverse would be good, though I don't know if it would be too complicated or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.