Mr Suplex
msg tools
The Beast of Nurgle's "Immobilize" ability states that "players at this matchup cannot use the Pass skill". RAW interprets this to me that NO player, even the Nurgle coach's players, can use Pass. This seems odd to me, and part of me thinks that maybe this is intended to only be meant for opposing players, but maybe I'm thinking too hard on this.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you are thinking too much on it, and honestly the Nurgle team doesn't need the boost of only they can use the pass skill. That would be kind of ridiculously strong. They are already a very good team.

He's got tentacles all over the place. No one gets to pass, not just the opposing team.

Of course your guys (or theirs) can still drop the ball if they get knocked down. Plus there are those abilities out there that state if the ball is at mid field at X time, move it to X player or one of your players. These abilities/cards are not a pass skill so they would still work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
I'm trying to understand why the tentacles would affect the BoN's team. I play alot of tabletop Blood Bowl and its weird to think his tentacles would hinder his own teammates.

Obviously by RAW it is what it is, but I'd like FFG to comment and explain if this was a typo or intended, because it is suspect enough that a FAQ response would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would suspect that if they changed it so it doesn't effect Nurgle they would need to nerf other things on the Nurgle team to make up for it. As I said, they are already a very strong team without them being the only ones allowed to use the pass skill.

2. Fluff wise, it makes sense. He is a Beast of Nurgle, he's not job blow human. He's a creature of chaos and disease. He likes to fling tentacles all over the place, cause disease and create mayhem for Papa Nurgle. He cares little for your measly ball and 'pass' plays, whether you work for Nurgle or not.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything (and I really hope it's not coming off that way), just explaining why it is probably exactly as intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
Mordus wrote:
As I said, they are already a very strong team without them being the only ones allowed to use the pass skill.

I don't find them to be a particularly strong or weak team. What makes you think they are so strong? I have not played with them yet but just looking at the team and upgrades I don't see anything that stands out as very powerful. I'm not disagreeing, just curious why you have this opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This makes sense to me also (card blocks all passing abilities, even your own). Even the flavor text supports it: "Nothing gets past the long tentacles of this foul creature..."

Gameplay wise, it can occasionally be a double edged sword when you need to get the Beast of Nurgle out early, but it's just not going to be a big deal most of the time -- Nurgle has control over when he wants to play the card, so he can just do so when he doesnt care about passing at a matchup. By holding onto the beast he is risking being fouled though, so there can be some interesting risk management as well

Also, Nurgle's Disease tokens can infect the Nurgle player's own players, so the team in general is no stranger to double-edged swords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those disease tokens are nasty. The team upgrades work really well with those as well. I realize they look kind of average, but being able to put -2 or 3 on your enemies across a couple of matches is amazing and for me those have typically been the difference in a close match. Their skills aren't bad either.

The lack of sprint is a headache, but the amount of attacks and strong players they have, especially with those disease tokens makes up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
I guess I'm too married to the tabletop game, where the BoN does not hinder friendly players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which I completely understand. Chaos Dwarves are my favorite race in the tabletop, so part of why I'm not liking their team on the cards might stem from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
BTW, you are both correct that it affects all players. FFG answered my question directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.