Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recieved a few questions on this topic, so I thought I'd post my answer here also.

Maintaining unit integrity is one of the keys to success in CWATS (aka ATS Gettysburg, aka Gettysburg: Turning Point 1863).

Unit integrity involves two things: command and isolation. The positioning of leaders in CWATS is absolutely critical. A regiment will have a certain number of field-grade officers (FGOs) and company-grade officers (CGOs). Being within a leader’s command range (4 hexes for FGOs, 1 hex for CGOs) means a unit or stack of units is in command. If a unit is not adjacent to at least one other unit of the same regiment, it is isolated. The combination of these two variables has four possible outcomes:

1) In command, not isolated. The unit can move or fire normally (but moving and firing is done as part of a larger command, not as an individual unit).

2) In command, isolated. During the Random Events Segment (the sequence of play is Random Events—Fire & Movement—End of Turn), the unit has to move toward the nearest hex containing another unit of the same regiment. The isolated unit, and the command it joins during the Random Events Segment, are marked as moved (“Close up those ranks!”).

3) Not in command, not isolated. The unit (or multiple units that could form a command but lack a commanding officer) must roll on the Random Events Table during the Random Events Segment. The RE table has seven different outcomes, everything from falling back, to firing at the nearest enemy, to taking casualties (stragglers), to going prone and doing nothing. A unit’s “Experience Rating” (which is similar too but distinct from its morale rating) impacts the severity of the random event: elite units (veterans, regulars) tend to not fall back or straggle as much as units with a low ER (militia, green units).

4) Not in command, isolated. This is what happens when everything falls apart: The unit (or multiple units that could form a command but lack a commanding officer) must take an immediate morale check. If the unit fails the morale check, the entire unit’s status is broken or surrendered. If it passes the check, it rolls on the RE table.

So, maintaining a solid line and an effective system of C2 is the only way to go. Things will start going to hell rapidly if leaders are picked off and a regiment starts to scatter about.

A unit designated as a skirmisher is a special case, as it does not need to be within C2 range of a leader and does not need to be adjacent to another unit of its regiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,
In the Scenario "Fight or Fight" is Lt Col Harris' flight enough to qualify for leader replacement? (I'm thinking not)

Does the 1-2-9 CGO take control of the regiment but roll for Random Events as per 10.3.11 & 10.4.1d? (I played it this way)

Guess I'm not sure how this might split into two commands (per SSR 1)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Pasha wrote:
In the Scenario "Fight or Fight" is Lt Col Harris' flight enough to qualify for leader replacement? (I'm thinking not)

Correct: no Leader Replacement due to the departure of Harris.

Scott Pasha wrote:
Does the 1-2-9 CGO take control of the regiment but roll for Random Events as per 10.3.11 & 10.4.1d? (I played it this way)

No

Scott Pasha wrote:
Guess I'm not sure how this might split into two commands (per SSR 1)

In the second-to-last sentence in SSR1, substitute the word "detachments" for "commands" (should state ". . .functioning as up to two Detachments"). See 10.3.12. Basically, the departure of the FGO will result is the CGOs being able to command their troops without having to worry about direction from above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.