Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I have done several armies and about 150 figures and put the on 20mm squares. After a test game to figure out the rules, I am thinking 25mm rounds would gave been easier. Its the rank contributing to attack dice. Seems easier to interpret with rounds.....Options? I haven't painted yet so I can still change the and only be out 20 bucks or so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basing options are pretty open for this game, it's just the size that really matters. 20-25mm for infantry, 40mm for Warlords.

I'm not sure I understand your question on ranks contributing to attack dice, either you have to rules wrong or I'm not properly understanding what you mean. Attack dice are generated by models in base to base combat (engaged) with an enemy, plus those friendly models that are within VS range of an enemy that is engaged. So, ranking doesn't really matter, it's the proximity to the engaged models. In that case it might be somewhat easier to get models in with round bases than square, but I would think that would be minor.

Personally I prefer round bases as I think they disappear from view better when looking across the table. Square basing might be a better option if you intend to use the models in other games that require ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am pretty sure they added ranking to account for mismatching base sizes, 3 ranks for inf and 2 for cav. Because a 30mm base only allows 1 maybe 2 models to contribute where as a 20mm will allow 2 for sure maybe 3 . You can demonstrate by lining your units up in a line with bases touching and measure.

Seems they built the game around 25mm rounds, then said use whatever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was that in an errata/FAQ? I have never seen any rules about ranking in melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The website is hard to navigate, I seen it tattered in the forums about it being in the newest book. Let me see if I can find it and edit the post

http://studiotomahawk.freeforums.org/post22256.html?hilit=ra...

Page 23 in Raven's Shadow

The text reads... 'Our intent was that a foot model could be "supported" by two friendly models standing behind him. So any base smaller than 2cm for a foot model should be considered as unfit for Saga. For mounted models, the intent was that each horseman could have a single rider behind him joining the melee, so any base smaller than 4cm should be considered illegal.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So it got me thinking.... what about support from sides and angles "from behind" doesn't work for these situations, but I don't know if its even an issue. Just seems a 25mm round would be the simple fix,but not sure I want to drop 40 bucks to rebase, just to find out it never comes up in game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I see, I haven't picked up Raven's Shadow yet. From reading that it sounds like this was just a clarification to prevent people from exploiting the existing VS range rule and using small bases to get more models in. As long as your bases are at least 20mm deep nothing is changed.

In my opinion you should not count up ranking but rather use the existing rule that any model in the unit that is within VS of an engaged enemy is in the fight. This ruling only applies if your base sizes are less than 20mm deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The material from Raven's Shadow is a clarification of the rules--there is no ranking rules per se as in Warhammer or other miniature rules.

I played in a tournament last Saturday with 9 other players and basing seemed to be about half square and half round. Base size has never been an issue in any of the 20 or so games I have played face to face.

As an aside--Normans took 1st place, an Anglo-Dane army took second, and the Pagan Rus came out third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this at Historicon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rule of one figure in base to base contact that can be supported by two more figures behind makes sense if people use different sized bases. My friends basing is smaller than mine and he did this purposely after he found that clarification. (He prefers smaller bases than the 25mm I use). So no problems with different sizes. Works out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No it was at Great hall Games in Austin, Texas. This is the third tournament we have had there.

This one went three rounds with one round a 7 point battle using either a hero of the Viking Age or a mercenary unit. We are all anxiously awaiting the Crusader book and armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 2 pence pieces as they are a standard size and cheaper and easier to get than other bases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
rounds or squares?

I prefer round bases for Saga, however, all my cavalry are based on square (actually, rectangle) bases. I use metal disks that are 20mm diameter, and they actually work very very good! I had originally tried using these 25mm plastic bases, but it just didn't look right (looked too sparse or open), so I found and use these metal disks that work fantastic, and they are a dime a dozen.

Two reasons why I use metal bases. 1) all but eight of my 28mm miniatures are plastic, and the metal base places the center gravity so low that they don't topple over easily - even on an inclined hill! 2) more importantly, the metal disk has a good magnetic property, so I make these magnetic move platforms (and storage) which keep things in place. Especially if you use neodymium magnets! The neodymium magnets can be too strong actually for some purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also converted all my bases to metal so I can magnetize them in their carrying case. No more broken spears or guys falling off their horses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
you found metal rounds for a dime a dozen...do tell.

Where? How?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
you found metal rounds for a dime a dozen...do tell.

Where? How?

These are local round 20mm metal disks not found in America... sorry. But in the US, you can find 3/4" (19.05mm) diamater steel washers with small 1/16" holes. A little bit more than dime a dozen, but they will work great.

I used them on all my 25mm Dervish, Boers, and Zulus for TS&TF. I was going to use them for my Saga, but didn't have enough left, and couldn't find them locally. But I found a substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.