Subject: Warded clarifications - Scenario 4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am playing this scenario tomorrow with a few of my friends. And I just wanted to get the "Warded" Special Rules down. So far, I am a bit confused regarding these rules, and would appreciate your help.

As far as I understand it, the rules state the following:
- Monsters on the Ritual Site are ALWAYS warded, no matter what happens.
- The Dunwich Horror likewise is ALWAYS warded, no matter what happens
- Any other Monster that is anywhere else on the map is NOT warded

Warded means different things in different circumstances:
1. As long as there is a Lock card (i.e. Fog) on the Ritual Site, NO warded monster can be attacked or deal damage in any way
2. If there is NO Lock card on the Ritual Site, any Monster on the Ritual Site is STILL safe from attack or damage (as they are generally warded from harm)
3. If there is NO Lock card on the Ritual Site, and if a warded Monster (i.e. the Dunwich Horror) moves away from the Ritual Site, it now CAN be attacked or dealt damage
4. Regardless of where a warded Monster might be, it CANNOT be stunned and CANNOT be moved by the investigators.

Is this correct?
Or does the "ward from harm" situation on the Ritual Site change once the Lock is removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
So I am playing this scenario tomorrow with a few of my friends. And I just wanted to get the "Warded" Special Rules down. So far, I am a bit confused regarding these rules, and would appreciate your help.

As far as I understand it, the rules state the following:
- Monsters on the Ritual Site are ALWAYS warded, no matter what happens.
- The Dunwich Horror likewise is ALWAYS warded, no matter what happens
- Any other Monster that is anywhere else on the map is NOT warded

Yes.

Quote:
Warded means different things in different circumstances:
1. As long as there is a Lock card (i.e. Fog) on the Ritual Site, NO warded monster can be attacked or deal damage in any way
2. If there is NO Lock card on the Ritual Site, any Monster on the Ritual Site is STILL safe from attack or damage (as they are generally warded from harm)
3. If there is NO Lock card on the Ritual Site, and if a warded Monster (i.e. the Dunwich Horror) moves away from the Ritual Site, it now CAN be attacked or dealt damage
4. Regardless of where a warded Monster might be, it CANNOT be stunned and CANNOT be moved by the investigators.

Is this correct?
Or does the "ward from harm" situation on the Ritual Site change once the Lock is removed?

1 and 4 are correct, 2 is not correct. Once the Lock is removed from the Ritual Site, any warded monster can be attacked or dealt damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you mean the sentence in the rules...
"Monsters at the Ritual Site are warded from harm."
...is ONLY a thematic description, referring to Stunning and Movement by Investigators, too?

This might be a bit unclear, so let me explain.
I understand "warded from harm" as a description of "being safe from damage and attacks". As this sentence stands alone, and is first in the paragraph, I understand it as a general rule, not one that depends on whether the Lock is still in place or not.

Of course, I can be mistaken, here...
It all depends whether "harm" can also only mean "stun and move", or if "harm" generally means "attack and damage"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
If a monster is "Warded", then it is a warded monster and has the warded condition.

While the lock remains on the ritual site, warded monsters cannot be attacked, damaged, stunned, or moved by investigator effects. Once the lock is gone, warded monsters cannot be stunned or moved by investigator effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and while I wasn't referring to the word "warded", but rather to the descriptive "from harm" and its possible implications...

...thank you, Roberta.

All in all, I didn't want to drag out the discussion, or insist on my "interpretation", anyways.

So thanks for your answers, both of you. I think it might have been worded a little better (even if only slightly)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The "harm" in "from harm" is defined afterward. I don't have a copy but I'm not surprised it ended up being worded awkwardly.

Basically the intent is "can't kill the dudes performing the ritual until you break the lock, can't stunlock the Dunwich Horror."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberta, verbatim it is:
"Warded Monsters:
Monster(sic) at the ritual site are WARDED from harm. In addition, the Dunwich Horror is WARDED regardless of room. Investigators cannot move or stun warded monsters. As long as there is a lock card on the ritual site, waded monsters cannot be attacked or dealt damage.

For example, "Ashcan Pete" cannot use his "Guitar" to move Wizard Whateley from the ritual site."

Dumon, if it is worded strangely, it is only to try to account for everything. Basically, you cannot mess with Wizard Whateley until the lock is lifted. The Horror is only warded from being moved or stunned, because that can really make for some anti-climatic games. You may still damage the Horror, just not stun or move.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.