Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It recently dawned on me that one characteristic that factors into how much a game appeals to me is how much stuff is included in the box. It came as a bit of a surprise when I realized that I favor games with less stuff, not more stuff.

I love co-ops, but appreciate the sleek beauty of Pandemic over Police Precinct, which I thought I'd love but ended up trading away. I recently sold Lost Valley without even playing it after punching out multiple flavors of cardboard tokens. I lost track of how many different things there were - but more than I wanted to deal with.

I wonder sometimes if designers think they are heightening the appeal of a game by loading it with "stuff". Then again, maybe they are - is it just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've experienced this myself the longer I've been playing/collecting. Having two little ones my time is limited, and more stuff translates to longer setup and less play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's *useful* stuff, then fine. Agricola for example has a lot of pieces but they all are used in a logical way.

If it's extra bits just for the sake of adding the number of components, especially if they could have been incorporated in a more efficient way... no thanks. In my opinion the D&D board games (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, etc) are super guilty of this, they have tons of pieces but some of them are rarely used, sometimes even just one use, and I think a lot of it could have been handled better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiselphane wrote:
If it's *useful* stuff, then fine. Agricola for example has a lot of pieces but they all are used in a logical way.

That's a good point. The many pieces in Agricola don't bother me at all - I love my animeeples & veggies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
If I see a game laid out and it has a thousand different tokens, I instantly shut down. Lots of the same tokens are fine, lots of different cards are fine, it's the chit overload that drives me made. Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game makes me cringe every time I get it out for this very reason, my brain just doesn't want to deal with all these little pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Interesting. Now that I think about it, I get super excited when I open a new game and it is packed with bits. Conversely, I often experience a sense of disappointment when I open a box and it is little more than air, some cards and a few cardboard/wood bits for tracking. When I then consider which games actually make it to the table though, the games with fewer components almost certainly win. Long setup and lots of bits to track are just too daunting on many evenings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
I recently sold Lost Valley without even playing it after punching out multiple flavors of cardboard tokens.

All I can say is - don't even bother to open a 'classic' wargame. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:

All I can say is - don't even bother to open a 'classic' wargame. Ever.

laugh That was unlikely to happen, even without your warning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found a good Plano box goes a long ways in easing setup woes for bits heavy games. Being able to organize everything in a Plano and then just pop up the lid, put out the board and/or cards and you are ready to go takes that mental overhead off of getting things on the table. My Squadleader and Descent set-up times are much faster after switching to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate Planos. They are a pain to reach into and pull stuff out of.

I'm not sure there is a board game that comes with more components than Caverna does. Not counting wargames with a couple thousand counters, though.

cornixt wrote:
If I see a game laid out and it has a thousand different tokens, I instantly shut down. Lots of the same tokens are fine, lots of different cards are fine, it's the chit overload that drives me made. Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game makes me cringe every time I get it out for this very reason, my brain just doesn't want to deal with all these little pieces.

You only ever touch a fraction of the tokens in the D&D adventure games in a single game. I don't think I even take them out of the box until a card pops up that requires one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BBTM definitely has a lot of different kinds of cards and different tokens (especially with expansions) for being in a small(ish) box. I've started pulling baggies out and heard more than one person say "I don't think I'll be able to get this game, it looks too complicated". I think despite that it is a pretty simple game to teach and learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I'm not sure there is a board game that comes with more components than Caverna does. Not counting wargames with a couple thousand counters, though.

Antiquity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

I have no idea how many components Caverna has, but I'm sure Android would give Caverna a run for its money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite the opposite... I love games that come in big-heavy boxes full of cardboard and wooden pieces.
It's mostly irrational, but tons of stuff is eye-candy for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Antiquity?

1613 total components in Antiquity, for the record... more than double Caverna's count. In fairness, 472 of those are pollution counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Antiquity?

Antiquity was my thought, too. As well as Roads & Boats, which I thought had a a LOT of chits until I got Antiquity. And those things get piled 3 layers deep on the board, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love the game, I dislike the way Eclipse player boards look with all those many many pieces serving the most minimal function. Please don't touch the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like more "stuff" in boxes when it is optional or to keep it fresh with variants,different maps,factions,etc. Then I say bring it on,Dont care if the box weighs 50lbs!

But when you have all that stuff that needs to be set up for every game just to play it,Doesnt mean its a bad game but it is one that Will Not get played very often due to set up time and not to mention it usually means it comes with a rule book of equal weight shake

I found out over the years that my family and I have More fun with a lighter game,with something that takes around 15 mins or less of set up time. But thats just us,then you have those people who take it as a personal achievement to learn and play big complicated games and praise them to the limits. Some say those games are better as you have a 1,000 choices to make and gives it deeper game play. I guess thats true,but just turns out to be more of a task moving all these cubes and markers keeping track of my choices rather than just having Fun with your friends.

Long story short,I dont mind games with less "stuff" in the box either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.