Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The German rules for the Profiteer say "(also) wins alone, if there's no connection to the treasure and there are no Saboteurs in the game".

I gather that phrase was added later to clarify things, and it's not in the English rulebook. But it confused us even more - what does: "there's no Saboteur in the game" mean?

Imagine the following situation we recently encountered: There is one Saboteur, but he is jailed; there is one Profiteer, unjailed; and a third player is some other role (blue or green dwarf or geologist).
After the round is played, there is no connection to the treasure; so the Saboteur team should win - but since the only Saboteur is in jail, he doesn't receive any gold.
So what does the Profiteer get? Nothing, since the winning team gets 0, and the Profiteer 0-2, so 0; or does the "he wins alone" rule apply, and he gets 3? But for that to be the case, being in jail would be the same as being not in the game at all? I didn't think so, but anything else would be kind of unfair, wouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remember that in saboteur 2 you use a different score system!
so the less dwarf wins (with dwarf i mean every role available apart from geologist)the more gold you gain!

in your case would be 1 dwarf win (profiteer) so he would gain normally 5 gold! since he is the profiteer he would gain only 3 gold...
if the saboteur was there, the sab would get 4 gold (2 dwarf win) and the profiteer 2 (4-2)

the new score system goes basically like this:

1 dwarf win = 5 gold
2 dwarf win = 4 gold each
3 dwarf win = 3 gold each
4 dwarf win = 2 gold each
and so on

you count every player that meets the objective apart from the geologist! (they don't count in the total)
then for each single player you apply malus if they have one

if someone is jailed they don't count for the win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darklaw90 wrote:

in your case would be 1 dwarf win (profiteer) so he would gain normally 5 gold! since he is the profiteer he would gain only 3 gold...
if the saboteur was there, the sab would get 4 gold (2 dwarf win) and the profiteer 2 (4-2)
[...]
you count every player that meets the objective apart from the geologist! (they don't count in the total)
then for each single player you apply malus if they have one

if someone is jailed they don't count for the win

Oh dear, that changes everything! Thanks for the nudge!

Of course I realized that there is a new gold distribution system and I was using it for several rounds already, it just turns out I was not using it as intended.
What I didn't realize was that the "winning" team is not in any way connected to team green or team blue, but instead consists of ALL players whose win condition is fulfilled.
Somehow that just didn't click for me, and all the seemingly "special rules" about the boss and profiteer winning "alone" when this or that happens and then gaining exactly this amount of gold didn't help - they are in reality just logical conclusions of following the gold distribution rules in the table you just posted. Instead I was just trying to memorize and understand them out of context.

I guess it would have been better if the rules had more strongly highlighted the difference between the "winner teams" and "golddigger teams (green vs blue)". I'm tempted to say it was just me being dense, but a lot of people in my game group read those rules and didn't get it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.