Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Is there any way to get more crewman cards? It looks like the initial 2 (3 if less than 4 players) are the only ones you can get. I haven't dug through the event deck, so maybe there are ways to get them from there.

2) When an alien is attacking a shield, do they stop attacking as soon as they get hurt? For example, a slasher rolls a 2 and a 3, attacking a shield of strength 4. Looking at the bullet point list on page 12:
Bullet 1 doesn't apply.
Bullet 2 does, you compare the 3 to the 4, it is less, so the slasher takes a wound.
Bullet 3 doesn't apply.
Bullet 4 does apply, but bullet 5 does too. In what order do you check? If you check bullet 5 first, it means that only one shield is ever shattered. If you check 4 first, it means that multiple wounds can be taken - and then I don't know when 5 would apply.

3) How do brutes interact with shields? Do they ever take damage from them?

4) The game isn't clear about what happens when the gestation track goes past the end - if you are at 4 on the track, and you get two different gestation advances, after the gestation do you start the track at 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one Im sorta sure about is #4...I believe when I was doing my first read over on the rules it said it continues on. So it would go to 2 as you said.

One semi related note...and maybe its just because I was tired after a long day...but the rules really seemed a bit disjointed to me. I caught myself going back and forth more then usual. Those last 4 pages or whatever did a major wall of text crit on me.

Again...maybe I was just tired. Going to try to get first walkthrough game going tonight with my sons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Shawn - You get to draw one ever time the aliens Gestate!

They make all attacks at the same time, and in your example would take 2 wounds (1 flipping the token, the other killing the slasher).

Brutes roll their dice like others, and apply their hits like others, but must take 2 points of damage to flip. Example - You roll a 2, 4, 4, 4 vs a 3 shield. The brute takes 1 damage from the "2", smashes the shield with the first 4, turns up a new shield (a "5) and takes 2 more hits for a total of 3 hits. The first 2 hits "flip" the brute, and the 3rd kills him.

When you hit gestate, you wrap around and keep counting (the rules mention it is possible to gestate twice, say, if you are 1 space away and draw 5 eggs, it would move to gestate, reset, and advance 4 more spaces, causing another gestation. The good news is, you get 2 crew cards. Bad news is, they get 2 gestation cards!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, thanks for the answers! I somehow missed the rule about drawing crew cards on Gestations - but I like it. It makes it a little less painful when that happens.

Your examples are great, and I think I understand how the shield combat works now. But I think I'm not clear on what bullet point #5 is for: "If one or more shields are shattered, or Wounds have been taken, this Alien Tokens attack is over". I think this just saying "each alien gets one attack on the shield, and even if they shatter the shield they don't get another attack."

Thanks for the response! I'm looking forward to playing the game, and my kids are excited too after watching me unbox it last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime. That bullet is ment to signify that after you make the rolls and resolve, the aliens turn is over. He does not advance if he smashed the last shield down, or advance and attack. Now the slasher behind him, would advance and then attack a crewman (if one was there) if the first slasher smashed the shield before him (and all his buddies behind him too) but not the attacking slasher.

Example: There are 2 slashers in Zone 2 and 1 shield token. Slasher 1 rolls 4, 5 and a 3 shield is flipped. His first attack shatters the shield, and since there are no more shields to attack, his turn is done (even though he did not move and has one more attack).

Slasher 2 has nothing to attack, so he moves into a new area, and if a crewman is present can attack them. If not his turn is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ferrete
Switzerland
Aarau
Aargau
flag msg tools
Hi Sean, I just got the game today (over on the other side of the pond) and I was checking the threads to make sure I was getting things right. I read your example here and, although the end effect will be the same, I think the process of describing the Brute's attack against the shield is counter to the rules.

As written in the rules:

Quote:
Roll all of the Aliens Attack Dice and compare the
highest Attack die rolled to the top Shield Token.

• If the highest Die is equal to or greater than the
Shield Value, the Shield is shattered and discarded.
• If the highest Die is less than the Shield Value, the
Alien suffers a Wound and the Shield

According to this, I understand that you should compare the highest die first, down to the lowest. In your example, the brute might have been able to destroy all the shield in the zone before the rolled 2 ever went against a shield (although like I said, in this example with a '5' shield, the Brute stood no chance with this roll).

I just want to know if I should be comparing the dice results starting from the lowest result, as I understand from your example or from the highest.

Thanks!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCFRR3 wrote:
Hi Sean, I just got the game today (over on the other side of the pond) and I was checking the threads to make sure I was getting things right. I read your example here and, although the end effect will be the same, I think the process of describing the Brute's attack against the shield is counter to the rules.

As written in the rules:

Quote:
Roll all of the Aliens Attack Dice and compare the
highest Attack die rolled to the top Shield Token.

• If the highest Die is equal to or greater than the
Shield Value, the Shield is shattered and discarded.
• If the highest Die is less than the Shield Value, the
Alien suffers a Wound and the Shield

According to this, I understand that you should compare the highest die first, down to the lowest. In your example, the brute might have been able to destroy all the shield in the zone before the rolled 2 ever went against a shield (although like I said, in this example with a '5' shield, the Brute stood no chance with this roll).

I just want to know if I should be comparing the dice results starting from the lowest result, as I understand from your example or from the highest.

Thanks!

Mike
It'll be highest first per the rules. It would make a huge difference to the game if it was lowest first because it would be very common for Shields to kill Zothren, whereas in my experience it's an uncommon bonus when they do. I don't think that in my games a Brute has ever failed to take out a Shield with 4 or less tokens on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are correct Mike, I should have listed the 2 last in the example on this thread. sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.