17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gaming tables - suggestions/photos? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Goodrich
msg tools
Hi folks!

My family and gaming group are primarily board and card gamers, but we have a glass dinner table and people leaning on it just scares the bejeezus out of me. We're looking at upgrading our dining set, but in the meantime I'm interested in seeing ideas or photos of the tables you use to game on.

I'm well aware of Geek Chic's products and like them in theory, however I'm unwilling to wait 12-14 months for a table.

Thoughts/photos/recommendations are appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Built the table below this weekend for about $300. It would be half that without the fancy legs.

I was inspired by this thread:
First time working wood...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Built mine about 2 years ago. It ran me about $1000, but it's all oak as well, and would have been about $300 cheaper without the fancy legs as well. And have to remember I had to essentially use a little over double the wood for the play areas as they fold out... Had I to do over again I probably wouldn't have bothered (with the foldout sections that is, still would have made the table).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Goodrich
msg tools
Thanks for the information, photos, and threads! This is great stuff.

Are either of those designs made to be dining tables as well, or are they gaming-exclusive?

Also, as for the surface of the sunken area, is there any trick to applying the fabric/gaming surface? I presume one doesn't just glue felt/fabric down or stretch and staple it. Is there some kind of material I should put under the top surface?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psypher1000 wrote:
Also, as for the surface of the sunken area, is there any trick to applying the fabric/gaming surface? I presume one doesn't just glue felt/fabric down or stretch and staple it. Is there some kind of material I should put under the top surface?

I can't speak for the previous responders, but when I made my gaming table I glued down a thin layer of headliner foam (I think maybe 1/4") and then covered it with velveteen (secured by staples to the bottom of the wood on the insert in my table). It provides a small amount of "bounce" that lets you easily pick up cards, tokens, etc.

Should I need to replace the velveteen anytime soon, I'll probably go with speed cloth.

Others will surely chime in with suggestions of a mouse pad-like material, but I don't have any experience with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Psypher1000 wrote:

Are either of those designs made to be dining tables as well, or are they gaming-exclusive?

Either design would allow for a topper to cover the sunken area and whatever might be under there. The bigger the table, the bigger the topper required, obviously. A topper is to come later for me. IT will not be a dining table, though it certainly could be. the external dimensions are 42x71 and it would seat 6 comfortably.

As to the gaming surface, mine isn't done yet (I still need to stain/seal it), but the intent is to put down a fabric surface neoprene sheet inside. It will not be glued or stapled. The material should be heavy enough that it will stay without requiring any permanent attachment. I'll have the massive mouse pad next week and then I will know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Goodrich
msg tools
drsingle wrote:

Should I need to replace the velveteen anytime soon, I'll probably go with speed cloth.

Others will surely chime in with suggestions of a mouse pad-like material, but I don't have any experience with that.

Thanks for the thoughts, David. What is it about velveteen and/or speed cloth that has you favoring speed cloth at this point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Goodrich
msg tools
coopasonic wrote:

As to the gaming surface, mine isn't done yet (I still need to stain/seal it), but the intent is to put down a fabric surface neoprene sheet inside. It will not be glued or stapled. The material should be heavy enough that it will stay without requiring any permanent attachment. I'll have the massive mouse pad next week and then I will know for sure.

Thanks for the idea! Hadn't thought of a freestanding solution like that. Do you mind sharing where you sourced your neoprene sheet/giant mouse pad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Be warned... it's not cheap. I'm not sure any surface (other than bare wood) will be particularly cheap. I went with 3mm. Again, I will have it in my hands next week and be able to say more about it then, but I ordered it based on impressions here.

http://www.foamorder.com/neoprene.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psypher1000 wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts, David. What is it about velveteen and/or speed cloth that has you favoring speed cloth at this point?

Speed cloth would be much more durable, waterproof, and likely wouldn't pick up quite as much cat hair as my current setup. On the downside, I would imagine that it's significantly more expensive.

On the plus side for velveteen - it's cheap, comes in just about any color, is probably available at your local fabric store, and doesn't pill like felt.

EDIT: Having just looked up some prices, I guess velveteen isn't THAT much cheaper. My impression is probably based on the use of a coupon and outdated prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psypher1000 wrote:

You can attach the felt using the same process as replacing the felt on a pool table. You use a 3m spray adhesive, I can't remember off the top of my head which number in particular. There are a bunch of on-line tutorials for refelting pool tables just adapt it to the basing material you're using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psypher1000 wrote:

I made a cover to my table so it can be used as a dining room table. There is a recessed ledge around the inside top of the table that they sit on. As for surface I bought this:

3mm, black front, textured backing. It stays down, doesn't fuzz up and is essentially a GIANT mouse pad. Pretty nice and IMO far better than felt. Looks better, plays on better, just all around a smoother looking and feeling product.

Darn... ninja by the Coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:

Yours is based on experience. Mine is based on reading the threads you and others have posted here and at reddit. Yours still counts. Still waiting for my giant mouse pad to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my Frankentable:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1116438/diy-frankentable-cus...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Psypher1000 wrote:

I made a cover to my table so it can be used as a dining room table. There is a recessed ledge around the inside top of the table that they sit on. As for surface I bought this:

3mm, black front, textured backing. It stays down, doesn't fuzz up and is essentially a GIANT mouse pad. Pretty nice and IMO far better than felt. Looks better, plays on better, just all around a smoother looking and feeling product.

And keep in mind that these pads are machine washable, as long as you have a machine large enough for the piece that you bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is what my family uses. It's the Catan: Table of Catan. Made for playing Settlers of Catan, it is the perfect table for us to play every game in our collection.

This is the same table used in all of the official Settlers of Catan tournaments and championships and is all handcrafted in the USA with real solid wood by Amish craftsmen. It has steel folding legs to transport and/or store if needed. It comes with a flat wooden removeable table top which I don't have pictured here since we're not using it.

The top pic shows my son and daughter playing Deadwood with a special removeable tablet (the long black piece the gameboard and pieces are sitting on top of) which I purchased separately that you would normally use for a 5-6 player Seafarers of Catan setup. But it also works great for games with larger boards if you want to play with the tabletop removed and still be able to use the component wells underneath.

The bottom pic shows the table with that tablet removed as we're actually playing Settlers...while my wife tries to figure out where to move the Robber. I highly recommend this table.

A fraction of the price of Geek Chic stuff...I think I paid around $350 for the table and another $50 for that tablet. The quality is outstanding, we'll have this for many years. And doesn't take up near the footprint of Geek Chic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Game
United States
Marion
AR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must agree with Clammy. I received this for a birthday present a couple of years ago and it works perfectly. Very sturdy and having the option to fold it away is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.