Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for Camp and Village say:
Quote:
The Camp (1 VP): You may now move the Camp Worker. If the Camp Worker isn’t on the Work Cycle, place it on the top Labor space.
The Village (2 VP): You may now move the Village Worker. If the Village Worker isn’t on the Work Cycle, place it on the top Labor space.

The rules also say when hiring a Sailor:
Quote:
Then take a Sailor Worker of your color from the supply and place it on the top Labor Space of the Work Cycle.

"You may now move" sounds like you can move the Camp Worker or Village Worker immediately when the corresponding Structure is built. "[P]lace it on the top Labor Space" means the newly placed worker "lands" on the Labor Space. Since none of this is happening in the Work Cycle Phase, however, I read this as you don't get to move the Camp Worker or Village Worker until the next Work Cycle Phase, and you don't get an immediate +1 Labor (or +1 Coin by moving a Camp Worker or Village Worker already on the board) during the Resource Spending Phase when you build the Camp or Village or hire a Sailor. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say so, yes. I've always interpreted it as "you now have the ability to move" instead of "you may now immediately move".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmaginity2 wrote:
Quote:
The Camp (1 VP): You may now move the Camp Worker. If the Camp Worker isn’t on the Work Cycle, place it on the top Labor space.

"You may now move" sounds like you can move the Camp Worker or Village Worker immediately when the corresponding Structure is built.

I think you're just seeing some ambiguity in English. "Now" could be replaced with "henceforth" to be more precise, though it's clumsier. The sentence is saying that you have the ability to move the Camp Worker; your opponent does not, unless she also has a camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hernandez
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC60jOuYKt-7X3Jk2QR7N94A
badge
Cards and Cardboard (CnC) Reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching the game it is very important to remember that you only have two phases and you can't do either thing on the other phase. So when you buy a worker you place it with no benefit and can't move it till your next "Worker Movement" phase.

Commonly I have had a few people try to "Grind" or "Union" during their "Worker Movement" phase, but really I don't see a problem with it since they would do it anyways during the "Spending Resources" phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBob wrote:
mmaginity2 wrote:
Quote:

"You may now move" sounds like you can move the Camp Worker or Village Worker immediately when the corresponding Structure is built.

I think you're just seeing some ambiguity in English. "Now" could be replaced with "henceforth" to be more precise, though it's clumsier. The sentence is saying that you have the ability to move the Camp Worker; your opponent does not, unless she also has a camp.

Another possible alternative phrasing could be to replace "may now move" with "now have access to".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Kleihege
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Since your production phase occurs BEFORE the building phase, you cannot move the new worker to gain anything. I would also say that since it is no longer the production phase you will also fail to be able to gain more production from the placement of the worker. Thus the ambiguity of the wording is voided by the phases of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Laster
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
I think it's worded that way because it may be on the board before you have access to it. So I think of it as "If it's on the board, you may move it, too."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.