Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played each of the single day scenarios twice it was time to attempt the full battle before putting the game away for a while to play something else. We set aside 8 hours of playing time as suggested in the rules with meal breaks after each nigh turn. As with previous games I played the USA while Steve took the CSA. We actually played for nearly 9 hours and reached 6PM on Day 2, after the CSA took Cemetery Hill and the score stood at 17-5 + 7 (Peach Orchard, Lutheran Seminary, Gettysburg, Cemetery Hill, Benner Hill) = 19. I conceded the battle.

The previous two Day 1 battles had resulted in a draw and a defeat for me (USA) respectively. The first battle was actually abandoned but I had retreated too quickly giving the CSA an opportunity to attack before nightfall had we continued. In the second battle I attempted a first day victory by trying to hold the town and lost Culp’s Hill in the process (well you’ve got to experiment); in trying to retake it I lost 3 units!

In this battle I would try to strike a better balance between retreat and defence. I held Seminary Ridge with a strong line at 1PM (see Gettysburg - Day 1_1PM.jpg) having to reinforce the left flank (but leaving the centre weak) with newly arrived Corps I units because Steve chose to reinforce along the Fairfield Road. Unfortunately I stayed to long, lost a double initiative and 5 units!

I retreated in an orderly manner through the town (see Gettysburg - Day 1_6PM.jpg), not making the mistake of leaving forces in the Pennsylvania College which cannot be defended, but obviously not fast enough because I lost 2 further Corps XI units to melee. This put USA casualties at 7 and CSA at just 1. Even discounting the taking of Little Round Top by the lone Jenkins the score stood at 7-1+4=10 (Lutheran Seminary, Gettysburg, Benner Hill). We decided to proceed to Day 2 anyway.

After lunch the first job was to deploy Corps II reinforcements and eject Jenkins. I had left Sickles in the Peach Orchard for the points (see Gettysburg - Day 1_Night.jpg) with the intention of withdrawing during the morning. The CSA started by pounding Cemetery Hill then taking it with 3 units. I retook it the next turn using the newly arrived Artillery Reserve at short and long range along with fresh units from Crops VI. They got pounded again and were reinforced; a difficult process as Steve had cleverly occupied I6 subjecting me to the “one in one out” ZOC rule. At this point the brain burn I had experienced in previous Day 2 battles set it: how do I hold Cemetery Hill, manage the lines of supply and make the best use of all the reinforcements arriving along the Baltimore Pike?

I was also feeling the heat from CSA Corps III units along the ridge and in a move worthy of Sickles himself decided to attack from the Peach Orchard with USA Corps III and the Cemetery Ridge with Corps II before Longstreet and Corps I arrived. The result was a disaster, I lost a double initiative and 4 units (see Gettysburg - Day 2_1PM.jpg). I clearly wasn’t thinking straight!

After a skirmish in the Rose Wheatfield and at the north end of Cemetery Ridge I lost Cemetery Hill again but this time to a much stronger force. I had reinforcements from Corps V but no way of getting them in position. I was also feeling the heat again, this time from the newly arrived McLaws making a withdraw and regroup impossible without the whole line unravelling. The battle and the game were over (see Gettysburg - Day 2_6PM.jpg).

I am certainly glad we played the full battle but I’m not sure whether I enjoyed or endured it. Surviving Day 1 should be possible but I am still not sure how to handle the congestion on Day 2. Next time we will swap sides and I’ll see how Steve fares!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.