23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a solo game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and love Mage Knight, but sometimes i just dont feel like setting it all up or playing for that long.

I have Thunderstone Advance but didnt really like it solo, not sure why.

I have no interest in playing as multiple players in a co-op.

I am thinking about getting the Lord of the Rings LCG, but have yet to pull the trigger.

From what i hear, the Pathfinder Adventure card game doesnt really spark my interest.

other than all that im kind of open to most kinds of games. got any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Take a look at Friday, and come join us in the 1 Player guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk Death Angel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get away from the multiplayer games and try some designed to be played solitaire.

Something like Victory Point Games' Legions of Darkness or Dark City Games' "Legends of the Ancient World series Legends of the Ancient World: Shadows in the Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My go-to game for quick playing (about 1 hour) but has great decisions is Freedom: The Underground Railroad. Yes, it's a co-op but it scales perfectly from 1-4 (only playing one character) and it's one of my most frequently played games, all of which have been solitaire with one character. I made a video about this game that is part review, part playthrough: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/44961/freedom-underground-rai...

For something even quicker, look at Zulus on the Ramparts!. One thing I love about Mage Knight is the hand management and Zulus does that mechanic very, very well. This plays in 30 minutes, once you're familiar with it.

Also, yeah, join the 1 Player guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions!! Space Hulk looks great!

Also, im still sorta new around here and i'm not really sure how to use a "guild" or what it is for but i joined anyway.

"there's no better time than now" to learn i guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
sirstevie3 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions!! Space Hulk looks great!

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is a great game, but you said you don't like co-ops where you're playing more than one character. And that's what you have to do in SH/DA.

Here's a GeekList of solitaire games that people love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I don't feel that Death Angel is really a co-op about "playing characters" it's a squad game where you activate your squad members in the best way. It feels like a solitaire game to me, whatever the box says about player count. Friday is a weird one for me, it took a while to click (I think the rulebook/setup sheet combination is poor at explaining the game) and I find it kind of miserable to play.

Zulus on the Ramparts! is good fun, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, definitely agree that SH: Death Angel feels like a solo game more than a Coop game (it's quite boring as a Coop game due to reduction in choices).

Friday was a great recommendation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're up for printing out a sheet or two of paper and sourcing a few tokens from other games, Maquis is a FANTASTIC solo worker placement game.

Here's a review I wrote for it that outlines why I think so:

Maquis: The perfect solitaire game - A Whattheproblemis 10 x 10 Review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark is a surprisingly fun hand management game that plays quickly solo and offers unique hand management/hand-building card play. As a Mage Knight fan who especially enjoys the deck-building/hand management portion of the game, there is a good chance you will enjoy the solo puzzle in L&C as much as I do. The game is a breeze to setup and play, and offers a nice quick challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieren Medley
United States
Brady
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia is a fantastic game that has a theme that I find incredibly charming that is really enhanced by the simple yet lovely art. The variation in the set up of the track mixed with the weather mechanism and the contract cards makes every game play a little differently. The events keep the game fairly short and the games solo option is just great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing Sentinels of the Multiverse solo....actually better solo than with other people. Take 3-5 heroes go against a villain to see if you can pull it off! There are many things you can do to make it easy or hard. There is bookkeeping involved with keeping track of the stats, but there are a few apps that can help with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a great solo game. Yes... you do play multiple characters but it's not that involved at all. Highly recommend it. And this is coming from a guy that loves Mage Knight Board Game and fully understands why it doesn't hit your table as much as it used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My three favorite solo games are:

Sentinels of the Multiverse

It might be a tad fiddly and running everything might take some processing power, but it is seriously fun.

Zombicide

A superb tactical exercise for the old brain. There are plenty of opportunities to adjust the difficulty. More or less survivors, more or less spawn points - play it your way!

Commands & Colors: Ancients

Simply play both sides to the best of your ability and ignore the 'first strike' card. It is fun to set up and makes for a very relaxed solo experience as you don't win or lose - you simply play to see which side wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hostage Negotiator is a solo game that is currently live on Kickstarter. I had the opportunity to playtest it and really enjoyed it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) and Darkest Night (First edition), both from Victory Point Games victorypointgames.com. Both are a lot of fun and have great theme. I also would agree with Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game. I've only played it solo, and kind of feel the same way that other posts have already said - this feels more like it's meant to be solo. It's kind of a good go-to game for me when I want to play a game and don't have a lot of time. Quick setup, and you can play within an hour. You could also check out Space Infantry, this is great in campaign mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tigger Nicholson
msg tools
+1 for :

Space hulk: death angel
Robinson Crusoe
Sentinels of the multiverse

Also, Hornet leader :CAO is excellent (imo better than TAL) as you can set up individual missions and put it away again fairly quickly, while still playing a campaign over several sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
Get away from the multiplayer games and try some designed to be played solitaire.

Something like Victory Point Games' Legions of Darkness or Dark City Games' "Legends of the Ancient World series Legends of the Ancient World: Shadows in the Dark

This. Most of the solitaire specific designs I've played are much better than variants.

VPG makes a lot of great games that are playable in an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
For some excellent PnP games, check out The Dungeon of D, The d6 Shooters and Utopia Engine.

Onirim is a neat little card game that may work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirstevie3 wrote:

I am thinking about getting the Lord of the Rings LCG, but have yet to pull the trigger.

Why don't you pull it already? It's an awesome game (and also difficult as hell)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.