MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, and sorry for barging in! =) Could you please give me a hand in a few questions?

A couple of English-speaking students of mine, who are currently staying in the USA through Work and Travel program, plan to visit New York before they fly back to Russia. Since I managed to somehow help them in adjusting to the culture, they asked me where should they look for a few good places to buy nice and relatively cheap clothes, sneakers, gadgets and computer addendums.

Could any New-Yorkers please recommend some stores, shops or malls for this purpose?

Being nice guys, they asked me if there are any (portable) board games I want, and where to find them. =)

Are there nice board game stores around the NY, too? Is there anything you could recommend that would not cost too much and require too much space in their trunks?

Thank you in advance for the invaluable hints! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Yes, we can try to give you a hand.

No, I couldn't recommend a store in NY/NYC.

Edit: If they are looking for camera/photography stuff, both B&H and Adorama are excellent. Almost everything else I order online.

board game store in NYC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The board game stores in NYC are all list price or higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on availability in Russia, it may be worth paying MSRP for some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
I like The Compleat Strategist a lot. Cluttered craziness full of games, with a few display cases of cool minis, and some room to play games (downstairs, I think. Not sure if it's always open). Added bonus, it's just a few blocks away from the Empire State Building, which is a nice touristy spot to check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice! Will make sure to relay that to my students. =)

Still, are there any good clothes, shoes or gadget stores or shops that might be worth visiting?
From skimming Reddit, I got the notion that Gap stores are something like that. Am I right, or do I deserve to be yelled at and flipped off by an old lady for my ignorance? blush

I plan to ask them for Looney Pyramids and Tichu, and perhaps Animal Upon Animal if it is there. Are there any other good and portable games that might be worth asking for?

Speaking of list price: shipping to Russia basically doubles the price for a game the size of Elk Fest, and triples if it's Looney Pyramids or bigger. I'll PayPal them any sum they need if I save on shipping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
I plan to ask them for Looney Pyramids and Tichu, and perhaps Animal Upon Animal

These are not standard stock at the Strat. If you want them, you might want to call ahead and have them order them.

It's a lot more war gamey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
I plan to ask them for Looney Pyramids and Tichu, and perhaps Animal Upon Animal

These are not standard stock at the Strat. If you want them, you might want to call ahead and have them order them.

It's a lot more war gamey.
Thanks for the note. =)

Are there any places around NY, or Manhattan in particular, where at least the Looney Pyramid are standard stock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have any local friends/family that have an Amazon Prime account (free 2-day shipping), it could be worth them ordering things, and having it delivered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Are there any places around NY, or Manhattan in particular, where at least the Looney Pyramid are standard stock?

$10 shipped from CSI through Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Labs-048LOO-Pyramids-Rainbow/dp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.