Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on using Will Schubert's excellent new set of 2014 ATG Heavyweights to conduct another winner-take-all HW tournament. (My previous efforts can be found on Delphi Forums.) I plan on using all 180 boxers in the set at least once, so there will be 76 byes with 104 fighters fighting off in a qualification round down to 52 to make a final field of 128 ATGs.

The 104 who will be fighting in the qualification round are all the boxers ranked 7 or lower (with 7 of those 7s getting put into the bye group, chosen by my favoritism). There's still some interesting names in this opening group though like John L. Sullivan, for instance.

All qualification round matches will be 10 rounds in length. The rounds of 128 will be 12 rounds, and from 64 onwards, the full 15 rounds.

Why the "Mel Turnbow Memorial" tournament? It's named in honor of Title Bout's previously lowest ranked boxer (rated a 1) in the original set. Mel passed away last year in December of 2013, but he'll always have a place in my heart. See, I must have started these tournaments about 5-6 times in the past (I did actually finish ONE of them all the way!) and for the first 4 times I did it, I always seeded boxers according to ratings.

This turned out to be incredibly boring after awhile since the opening brackets was always a series of no contest fights. After that, I went to my current format of picking pairings randomly. Sure, Jack Johnson may meet Ali in the first round now and only get to fight once, but I rationalized that if Johnson WAS going to lose to Ali, then it didn't really matter if it was the opening bracket or the final championship bout.

Anyway, to get back to Mel Turnbow. Because I started this project so many times and because I used high-low seedings so many times, I actually probably fought more fights that had Mel Turnbow in them than Ezzard Charles. And poor Mel, he was the sacrificial lamb on more than one occasion to the likes of Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis, and Muhammad Ali. So I saw a lot of good old Mel. I'll miss him, even though all I know about him is what boxrec.com tells me. I'm really glad Will included him.

And hey, with Will's new expanded 180 man roster, Mel Turnbow can actually turn up his nose and look down on the five or six ZERO rated boxers in the set! Finally, boxers lower than him!

Next, on with the fights.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in '79 through '81 I can't count how many fights I had. I absolutely loved that game. Yes, Mel was the worst of the worst in the game. Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Muhammad.....Duran, Arguello, Sugar Ray....no not the guy that got a gift in the Hagler fight.....Robinson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QUALIFICATION MATCH #1

Vaughn Bean 1992-2005 45(34KOs)-6-1 vs Joey Maxim 1941-1958 82(21KOs)-29-1

Vaughn Bean
was 27-0-0 when he met Michael Moorer for the IBF Heavyweight Championship. But of those 27 wins, only a handful were against fighters with winning records (and those just barely). Still, he gave Moorer a good fight, losing a Majority Decision. He went for the IBF and WBA titles against Evander Holyfield and lost a not close unanimous decision. His last title shot was another IBF title shot against Vitali Klitcshko, the only person to ever beat him by knockout in 52 fights, an 11 round TKO. He retired 3 years later after losing 3 of his last six bouts.

Joey Maxim had much better success as a light heavyweight, holding the title for several years, beating Bob Murphy for the title and even defending it successfully against Sugar Ray Robinson. That fight was Robinson's only loss by KO in his career and even that was due to 104 degree temperature that day and Robinson couldn't answer the bell like LeBron James in this year's NBA Championship series.

As a heavyweight, the light hitting, defensively nimble Maxim didn't fare so well. He fought Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe Walcott together a total of 8 times, the only win was one decision over Walcott. But none ever knocked him out. The only person to knock Maxim out in 117 fights was Curtis "Hatchetman" Sheppard who KOed Maxim in the 1st round and sent Maxim out on a stretcher.

THE FIGHT: Well, given both fighter's records, I didn't expect any KOs in this bout and none happened. And a fight going to the distance only works to Maxim's advantage, not to Bean's. Bean wins only a single round, the fourth, and after getting warned for a low blow in the fifth, Bean faded away and Maxim takes the unanimous decision to enter the round of 128.

JOEY MAXIM defeats VAUGHN BEAN by UNANIMOUS DECISION 100-90, 97-91, 99-91
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Price
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the 80's my friends and I actually drafted stables of boxers and would go from house to house to fight for belts. My buddy had Rocky Marciano and I had Cleveland "Big Cat" Williams. We fought for the title with the promise of a rematch at a later date. Willims won and I never gave him the rematch, something he still brings up to this day. What a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.