Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the story: My birthday is about a month away and I need a recommendation for a game to add to my wishlist.

I like the Axis & Allies family of games, but I find it hard to schedule the time and players for a full session. What I like about these games is the level and scale of strategy, i.e. general-level of control of power, technology, & economy. Asymmetric setup is a neat feature too.

Theme is not essential to me, nor is having lots of plastic (but I am a sucker for good components). I also don't need to roll lots of dice, though I'm not against having a good stand-up die roll either.

Would be nice to have recommendations that are less of a time investment and still relatively easy to find.

Please no games that would require reading equivalent to receiving college credit.

Thank you in advance to those of you who choose to make a recommendation. It is much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought from the family was Ikusa, but it's a big time investment, too. A game I played recently that has the same basic feel as Ikusa is A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). Alliances and backstabbing, combat and expansion, and "there can be only one" at the end. But it only takes 2-3 hours to play. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG edition Fortress America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: I like the Axis & Allies family - need a recommendation for another game akin
You may want to "try out" this ONLINE even: Superpowers and just follow their LINK to that. Have fun and do get the 'boardgame' version when you could. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Exodus: Proxima Cetauri ... it plays in about 30 minutes per player, has technology, a few figures, is easy to set up and play and with my group was enjoyed by all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial or Imperial 2030. The first one is Europe set around 1900; the latter is global with Risk!-style wrap around board. They're quite different from Axis & Allies, but they also play quicker. Players secure shares in the various super powers; the majority holder determines what that power will do on its turn. Build naval and army factories, produce new units, maneuver land and sea forces, tax conquered territories, combat opponents for territorial gain, and pay your troops. No dice or cards. It also introduces you to rondel mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Imperial or Imperial 2030. The first one is Europe set around 1900; the latter is global with Risk!-style wrap around board. They're quite different from Axis & Allies, but they also play quicker. Players secure shares in the various super powers; the majority holder determines what that power will do on its turn. Build naval and army factories, produce new units, maneuver land and sea forces, tax conquered territories, combat opponents for territorial gain, and pay your troops. No dice or cards. It also introduces you to rondel mechanics.

Imperial is great - or by the same designer - Antike, which also has a much more reasonable play time than Axis & Allies, and also has a (limited) tech tree, and is pretty much better than Axis & Allies in every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (Second Edition) - it's long but not as long as Axis and Allies. And it's ridiculously on the spot thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
While it doesn't have the technology control, I really think you'd dig 1775: Rebellion. It's a great game that handles strategy level while being very accessible. can't recommend it enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas De Wolf
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I am the Black Wizards
badge
My hammer listened to Amon Amarth and became Mjölnir
mbmbmbmbmb

A quick but interesting 'dudes on the map' game is Kemet. It plays fast and aggressive. The components are some of the best ones I have seen. Dice rolling is replaced with cards as in Agot the boardgame. There is technology in the form of tiles that give you access to a special unit or ability.

I would also recommend Fortress America from FFG, which is a quicker Axis & Allies with some minor differences. It's good for three versus one play.

Chaos in the Old World is about four evil gods fighting with cultists and demons on a map. It's more of an area control game were you cast spells on the board and try to score points by ruining countries. It's tactical in the way you place your units not so much tactical as in 'armies versus armies' tactical. It's properly balanced and there is a perfect amount of dice rolls. It's very asymmetric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Burdett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
I SHALL DESTROY ALL THE CIVILIZED PLANETS
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game - contains many A&A elements, fun pieces, and variable game length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorzogoth wrote:
Chaos in the Old World is about four evil gods fighting with cultists and demons on a map. It's more of an area control game were you cast spells on the board and try to score points by ruining countries. It's tactical in the way you place your units not so much tactical as in 'armies versus armies' tactical. It's properly balanced and there is a perfect amount of dice rolls. It's very asymmetric.

Highly recommend CitOW. The asymmetric powers are great, and every game is close right up to the end. It's NOT a wargame, however, so keep that in mind. It's an area control, mess with the other players type of game that's very entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also thought that D&D: Conquest of Nerath was a great game for people who enjoyed Axis & Allies. It uses a very similar system, but there are just enough tweak to make it feel fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.