United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fireflythegame.com/

and on FB: https://www.facebook.com/FireflyBoardGame?fref=nf

Check out some highlights from the new gameboard section in Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun. This game expansion adds a new region of the ‘Verse, Rim Space. In the Blue Sun expansion you will get to travel to the far-flung areas of Rim Space such as the Blue Sun system and its capital planet, Meridian. Or set your course to the most dangerous area of the ‘Verse, Reaver Space and chasing forgotten fortunes. See highlights of the new gameboard here: http://www.fireflythegame.com/

Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun contains a new game board addition, two new Contact Decks, new Jobs for existing Contacts, a new Nav Deck for Rim Space, a new Supply Deck for the planet Meridian, new rules for Reavers, two more Reaver Cutters to increase the likelihood of encountering these murderous space cannibals, new Story Cards and a new game-changing Set Up Card.

Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun will be in stores in mid-September at a MSRP of $39.99 USD. A limited number of advance copies will be on sale from GF9 at Gen Con 2014.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On one hand -- very cool!

On the other -- I was hoping for more crunch, less fluff with the update. Oh well. Hopefully, this begins weekly updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Ah, but there are more biggies in the illustrations. I see PLANET MIRANDA, noted as Reaver Central. Also Shadow, Mal's home planet, which is still inhabited, although reduced (the status of this planet was an early question when the game came out). And the text also says "in stores by mid-September."

I'll take it, for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think we knew all that already.

Well, maybe not the date, but who knows if it'll be true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
On the other -- I was hoping for more crunch, less fluff with the update. Oh well. Hopefully, this begins weekly updates.

I think so.

I recall an update or a reply where they said something along the lines of 'maybe we'll take a closer look at leaders, supplies etc. next' but they weren't explicitly asking what people wanted to see (like with P&BH) so no one really said anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Fireflythegame.com is showing two complete cards from the Rim Space nav deck, and the update also says that the expansion will replace some of the Border Space nav cards to account for the new reaver ships. Objects In Space is quite interesting, and the other one is just brutal. These plus grav well maneuver make traveling through rim space look like high risk/high reward proposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the new cards being put in play for Border Space will have to do with Reavers, will they replace cards already about Reavers and make them more intense, or other types, to make Reaver encounters more frequent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just hope they can get the colour on the new card backs to match up...

Although, having said that, the colour differences on the backs in Breakin' Atmo weren't that noticeable compared to the faces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"New Beginnings--The Introduction of Set Up Cards" is hardly 'one of the most exciting aspects of Blue Sun' as noted, but should provide useful player aids by taking you through a game set up that may differ depending on the parameters of rules you are using. Formatted like a story card, only with green borders instead of brown, the STANDARD GAME SET UP, whose pdf I just successfully printed out, follows the usual procedures outlined in the base game rules booklet. Its a nice idea, although hardly a game changer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The most disappointing of three disappointing updates, if you ask me. I feel like the updates for PBH (and even Breakin' Atmo) were much "meatier."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's still plenty of time, and they haven't even gotten to the supplies or the new jobs yet. They've been showing off stuff 'unique' to this expansion first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Galloway
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are previews available at GenCon we can expect everything to be spoiled by this time next week though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Stinson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I have my copy of Blue Sun right here within arm's length. Ask me anything.

Atherton has two Negotiate, and one Fight skill. He has Fancy Duds and Fake ID as keywords, and may not hire any Companions due to his black mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can we get a breakdown of new supplies (gear/crew/upgrades)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Stinson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
gwek wrote:
Can we get a breakdown of new supplies (gear/crew/upgrades)?

There are 11 new Gear items, 7 Crew with only 4 being new, 6 new Ship Upgrades, and 1 new Drive Core.

Let's start with the Ship Upgrades.

Reaver-Flage x2

Ship may move into a Sector occupied by a Reaver Ship

Discard after losing any Crew to Reavers.
Cost= 800

Hull-Mounted Flak Gun x2

When a Sector with a Reaver Cutter, discard to ignore Reaver Cutter's effects and move that Reaver Cutter 1 Sector within Rim or Border Space.
Cost= 400

Long-Range Scanner Array

During a Fly Action you may resolve Reaver of Alliance Alert Tokens in adjacent Sectors.
Cost= 800

Modded Fuel Catalyzer

When iniating a Full Burn, Spend 1 additional Fuel to add +2 to your Drive Core's Max Range this turn.
Cost= 600

Drive Core
Xunsu's Whisper X1
Range- 6
1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn.
Whenever a Reaver or Alliance Ship enters your current Sector, you may immediately roll a Dice:

1-2: No Effect.
3-6: Evade.

Cost= 1600

New Crew

Cortland
1 Fight
1 Tech
He is both a Soldier, and a Mechanic

LAWS ARE FOR THE POOR
May pay Bribed before any Negotiate test.
Bribes may not be used in Showdowns.

Cost= 300

The Middleman

1 Fight
1 Negotiate
He is a Grifter, and is Wanted.

FACILITATOR
Whenever you sell Contraband to a Contact, take an extra 100 per Contraband sold.

Cost= 200

Sheydra

2 Negotiate
1 Tech

She is a Companion, is Moral, and has Fancy Duds.

COMPOSURE
Once per Job, she may treat a Fight Test as a Negotiate Test.

Cost= 300

The Salesman

1 Negotiate

He is a Grifter.

WHOLESALER
As a Buy Action, discard to purchase a Ship Upgrade or Drive Core from any discard pile, at half price. This may be done from any location.

Cost= 200

The rest of the Crew consist of 2 Gun Hands and 1 Head Goon.

Gear

Fruity Oaty Bar x2

Discard before rolling to add +1 to any test result.

OR

Discard to remove Disgruntled from the owner.
Cost= 100

Maque Tiles

GAMBLING
Discard to Use:
Choose Red or Black.
Draw 2 Misbehave Cards.
If both Suits match Choice, take 1200.

Cost= 200

Kaylee's Parasol

1 Negotiate

Does Not count towards Gear Limit.

Cost= 0

Mal's Brown Coat

Disgruntle Owner to their Fight Skill to a Negotiate Test.

Does not count towards Gear Limit.

Cost= 800

Mal's Frontier Model B

FIREARM

2 Fight Skill

Before each Fight Test, remove Disgruntled from the Owner.

Cost= 800

Love Bot

Counts as COMPANION

1 Negotiate Skill

You may use an Action on your turn to Remove Disgruntled from a Crew.

Cost= 1200

MF-813 Flying Mule

TRANSPORT

After completing a Crime Job, Load 6 Good, minus 1 per Crew Working the Job.

Cost= 1400

Heist Intel

On your turn, discard to look the the top 3 cards of the Misbehave deck.
Return them to the top of the deck in any order, or discard all of them.

Cost= 500

The Operative's Sword

2 Fight Skill

Counts as a Knife.

Discard to count as an "Ace" for any Misbehave Card: Proceed.

Cost= 1000

Simon's Sonic Stun Baton

FAKE ID

Discard, after a Fight Test, to count the roll as a 6 and add Thrillin' Heroics bonus roll.

Cost= 1000.

That's all for the Supply Deck, only 25 cards. I'm sure GF9 will expand on this in the future. Apologies for the length of this post, I tried to make it as readable as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fantastic! Thanks!

Can I beg for more?

Based on the rule book, the new material seems to still include:

- 30 Nav Cards
- 75 Job Cards
- 3 Story Cards
- 2 Set Up Card
- 88 Tokens

I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd be excited to hear any of it!

Let me start with 2 straightforward requests:

1) Are the tokens all Alliance/Reaver Alert tokens? (Are they all double-sided?)

If not, what else is there?

2) According to the rules book, there are 10 new Nav cards to replace the 10 Reaver Nav cards in the Border Space deck. Is the only difference adding "or Rim Space"?

If you're willing to share those... What are the Story Cards like? The Set Up Cards? The remaining Nav Cards? (How many are Keep Flying?)

I'm really curious about the Job Cards too, but there are so very many of them that that just seems greedy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me among those interested in hearing what the new Setup and Story Cards are like?

Thanks for all the updates provided so far! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Stinson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
gwek wrote:
Fantastic! Thanks!

Can I beg for more?

Based on the rule book, the new material seems to still include:

- 30 Nav Cards
- 75 Job Cards
- 3 Story Cards
- 2 Set Up Card
- 88 Tokens

I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd be excited to hear any of it!

Let me start with 2 straightforward requests:

1) Are the tokens all Alliance/Reaver Alert tokens? (Are they all double-sided?)

If not, what else is there?

2) According to the rules book, there are 10 new Nav cards to replace the 10 Reaver Nav cards in the Border Space deck. Is the only difference adding "or Rim Space"?

If you're willing to share those... What are the Story Cards like? The Set Up Cards? The remaining Nav Cards? (How many are Keep Flying?)

I'm really curious about the Job Cards too, but there are so very many of them that that just seems greedy.

We get 70 double-sided Alliance/Reaver Alert tokens, 7 Disgruntled Tokens, a new set of 7 Haven tokens, and 4 Warrant/Goal tokens.

The 10 replacement Nav Cards for Border Space consist of 1 Reaver Cutter, 1 Reaver Bait, 5 Reavers on The Hunt, and 3 Reavers Dead Ahead!
Reavers on the Hunt and Reaver Bait are all the same.

Reaver Cutter

Player to your right moves a Reaver Cutter to your Sector.

The options are unchanged from the original.

Reavers Dead Ahead

The player to your right must move a Reaver Ship to a Sector adjacent to your current location not occupied by a Firefly. Keep Flying.

The Rim Space Nav Deck.

The new Nav Deck has only 30 cards instead of 40 like the other two. Plenty of room to expand in the future though.

The break-down is as follows

The Big Black x10

Keep Flying

Reavers on The Hunt x6

Player to your right must move a Reaver Ship 1 Sector within Border or Rim Space.

Keep Flying.

Reavers in Orbit x3

The player to your right must move a Reaver Ship to a Planetary Sector not occupied by a Firefly, in Border or Rim Space.

Keep Flying.

Fuel Coupling Failure

EVERYTHING'S SHINY CAP'N

Breakdown- Spend 1 Part,
Keep Flying

SHE'S HEMORRHAGING FUEL!

Keep Flying.
Discard 1 Fuel for each additional Sector you move into this turn.

Nav System on The Fritz

THOSE STARS LOOK RIGHT TO YOU?

The player to your right must move your ship two sectors.
Keep Flying

RECALIBRATE ON THE FLY

Requires Mechanic:
Tech 7 Breakdown
1-6 Full Stop.
7+ Keep Flying.

Abandoned Tanker

SMELLS LIKE REAVERS

Keep Flying.

FILL'ER UP!

Requires Mechanic:
Salvage Op: Load Fuel, no limit.
Full Stop.

Ravaged Transport

LEFT NOTHIN' BUT GHOSTS

Keep Flying

SURVEYORS OF WHAT'S LEFT

Requires Mechanic:
Salvage Op: Load 2 Goods.
Full Stop.

Blown Out Buffer Panel

NOT TO FRET

Spend 1 Part.
Keep Flying.

SHOULDA REPLACED THAT....

Tech 6 Breakdown
1-5 Full Stop.
6+ Keep Flying.

Reaver Booby Trap

HARD TO PORT!

Requires Pilot:
Place Reaver Token in Sector
Spend 1 Fuel.
Keep Flying.

REAVERS! WONG DAHN!

Place Reaver Token in Sector.
Full Stop.

Locking Horns Over Scraps

FINAGLE THE LION'S SHARE

Negotiate 6 Test
1-5 Load 1 Goods
6+ Salvage Op: Load3 Goods.
Full Stop.

WINNER TAKES ALL

Fight 10 Test
1-9 Load no Goods.
10+ Salvage Op: Load 4 Goods.
Full Stop.

Local Tariff Patrol

HEAVY HANDED ENFORCEMENT

Negotiate 9 Test w/ BRIBES
1-8 5 Good not in Stash are seized.
Full Stop.
9+ Keep Flying.

TURN AND BURN!

Spend 1 Fuel.
Warrant Issued.
Evade.

Objects in Space

FANCY MEETIN' YOU HERE!

If you have space in your Crew, take 1 Crew Card from any discard pile, for free.
Full Stop.

NOT ANOTHER MOUTH TO FEED

Keep Flying.

Grav Well Maneuver

SLINGSHOT ROUNDHOUSE

Requires Pilot:
If in a Planetary Sector, +3 to Ship's Range this turn.
Keep Flying.

STEADY AT THE HELM

Keep Flying.

Looks like they significantly beefed up the Reavers, as well as made Pilots and Mechanics worth their weight in Platinum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once again -- awesome! Thanks so much! Hope you're enjoying going through things in detail for us. It's much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh I CALLED THE LOVE BOT! And they called me mad at the University...

Thanks, Josiah--Keep Flying at Gencon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm hoping someone from GenCon will weigh in on the Story and Set-Up cards next! *hint hint*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Now I've had a chance to print out and read the BSRS Rule Book, and it looks like we're in for a fun time (next month for most of us). It seems that this rules book has been more carefully edited than previous ones--despite the inevitable minor typo or two--and a few rules are there just to answer previous FAQ (such as No Moving Diagonally, Planetary Sectors defined, Reshuffle Cards, and What Are Goods?).

Typo not mentioned in above posts:

Page 12 Para 3 Last Sentence: an extra 'a'.

1. Question: Does Mr. Universe have only Challenge Cards and no regular jobs in his deck? BD challenges it seems are the designers' answer to those who manage to break the game by putting together the perfect crew--although we haven't heard much more of that after Pirates and Bounty Hunters came out. Maybe I'll start playing with those BD Heroes now after all.

2. Eventually we'd love to hear Session reports from you lucky folks who get to play at GenCon, either at an official events or up in your hotel room. (And okay, I won't make another Love Bot joke here...) And best wishes to everyone still trying to snag those "rationed" copies on future Con days. If I had anyone offering to bring me back just one thing back from GenCon...but none of my local NYC pals are attending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Does Mr. Universe have only Challenge Cards and no regular jobs in his deck? BD challenges it seems are the designer's answer to those who manage to break the game by putting together the perfect crew--although we haven't heard much more of that after Pirates and Bounty Hunters came out. Maybe I'll start playing with those BD Heroes now after all.

Interestingly, I was thinking exactly the opposite -- that this idea REWARDS a well-balanced, well-prepared "perfect" crew. We've only seen three Cards, but a crew like that will have no problem Misbehaving without needing to Fight, or making a Bribes check, or even doing two additional Misbehaves.

On the other hand, we've HAVE only see 3 of 25, so we don't know what the rest of the cards will look like. It's easy to think that there will be cards prohibiting Tech and Talk, too, but who knows?

Actually, this set seems designed, to some extent, to boost Talk. Certainly, that holds true of the tree cards we see here, and it's interesting to note that we're also getting the first Talk test Nav cards we've seen. (by my quick count, I think there are two tests for each skill in the new Nav deck).

In addition, the new Crew are very talky: Cortland and Sheydra especially, but the other two new ones are both Talker/Grifters, and another Head Good is a great boon to someone trying to boost Talk. Kaylee's Parasol, Mal's Brown Coat, the love bot..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Stinson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Here come the story cards.

PATIENCE'S WAR

Patience has gotten embroiled in an all Range War. She is paying hard cash to any crew smart enough to use a gun and dumb enough to put themselves in harm's way... and you know just the right crew for the job!

PROVING YOUR WORTH

You Must be Solid with both Patience and Mr. Universe to Work Goals. Warrant received while working Goals do not cause loss of Solid Rep with Patience or Mr. Universe.

GOAL 1: GUNFIGHT AT THE SILVERHOLD CORRAL

Silverhold Heinlein

Three Misbehaves

Fight 8 Test

1-7: Kill 2 Crew. Attempt Botched & Warrant Issued.
8+ : Kill 1 Crew & Goal Complete.

GOAL 2: THE HILLS HAVE EYES... AND GUNS!

Three Hills Georgia

Three Misbehaves

Fight 10 Test

1-9: Kill 3 Crew. Attempt Botched & Warrant Issued.
10: Kill 2 Crew & Goal Complete.

GOAL 3: THE QUICK AND THE DEADWOOD

Deadwood Blue Sun

Three Misbehaves

Fight 12 Test
1-11: Kill 4 Crew. Attempt Botched & Warrant Issued.
12+ : Goal Complete. You Win!

ANY PORT IN A STORM

The Alliance has got a burr in their collective britches: patrols have been tripled and strict enforcement of penal codes is in effect. Times such as these can make for strange bedfellows and safe harbor is wherever you can find it. Any port in a storm...

THE SET UP

Choose Havens. Havens must be in Alliance Space. Londinium may not be chosen as a Haven.
Place an Alliance Alert Token on any Alliance Planet that is not a Haven.
All Players start with a Warrant Tokenn

STORY SPECIAL RULES

Increased Enforcement: Any time a player successfully completes an Illegal Job, they receive a Warrant Token.

Safe Harbor: The Alliance Cruiser may not be moved to a Haven, for any reason. If a Card would move the Alliance Cruiser directly to a Haven, the player to the right places it in an adjacent Sector.

Friends in Low Places: At any Haven, you may use a single Buy Action to BOTH Buy Fuel and give your Crew Shore Leave. At your own Haven, you may use a Buy Action to take Shore Leave for free, and load up to 4 free Fuel

WINNING THE GAME

The first player to reach their Haven with at least $12,000 wins the game.

THE GREAT RECESSION

Life on the raggedy edge can be a hard slog. Paying work is precious enough in the good times, but when things get lean the competition for jobs can get downright unsavory. Make hay while the sun shines or get left in the dust, beggin' for scraps.

THE SET UP: JOBS ARE SCARCE

No Starting Jobs are dealt.
This Story Card uses dramatically smaller Contact
Decks. Each Contact Deck start with a number of Job Cards equal to the number of players in the game.
For example, 3 players= 3 Jobs in each Contact Deck.
These cards form the entirety of the Contact Decks. Place the remainder of the Contact's Job Cards back in the box- they will not be used this game.

THE SUDDEN, INEVITABLE BETRAYAL

When four Contact Decks and their discard piles are empty, the game ends immediately. The last Job to be accepted is discarded.

SETTLE INCOMPLETE JOBS

At the end of the game, all players must pay the bank the Pay Value of all their Active and In-hand Jobs.

WINNING THE GAME

After all player settle incomplete Jobs, Credits are totaled. The player with the most Credits is the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Josiah! Looks interesting. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.