Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franklin Stinson
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night i got a game of concordia in. everyone had a great time, but half way through i was questioned about how i interpreted the rules for the Praefectus Magnus card.

i don't have the card right in front of me, but in essence it states that when using a prefect to produce in a province that you receive double of what is in that section in the upper left of the board and province production is unaffected.

i interpreted this to mean, i use it, i get double and province does not produce, since it is unaffected.

another at the table suggested that i use it, i get double and province does produce, just not double.

i can see it both ways, which is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parchman
United States
Henderson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you get double and the province also produces for normally for everyone that owns a city in that province
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pretzel76 wrote:
Last night i got a game of concordia in. everyone had a great time, but half way through i was questioned about how i interpreted the rules for the Praefectus Magnus card.

i don't have the card right in front of me, but in essence it states that when using a prefect to produce in a province that you receive double of what is in that section in the upper left of the board and province production is unaffected.

i interpreted this to mean, i use it, i get double and province does not produce, since it is unaffected.

another at the table suggested that i use it, i get double and province does produce, just not double.

i can see it both ways, which is it?

"Another" is correct. Province produces as normal for all players who have buildings in cities in the province. The bonus the player who chose the action gets is doubled.

This is not voluntary and the doubled amount must be taken, even if that player would prefer deferring it. The card has no impact and the card is neither used nor passed to the player to the active player's right if Prefect is taken for money. The card's power applies whether Prefect is taken directly or if the player uses a Diplomat card to take the Prefect action because another player has Prefect on the top of his or her stack of played cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A related question re: the Praefectus Magnus card: the rules say that "a player must use the Praefectus Magnus card when able...." Does that really mean that if it's in my hand on my turn I have to use it in lieu of another card if I have a Prefect (or Diplomat, if applicable) card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
roger-e wrote:
A related question re: the Praefectus Magnus card: the rules say that "a player must use the Praefectus Magnus card when able...." Does that really mean that if it's in my hand on my turn I have to use it in lieu of another card if I have a Prefect (or Diplomat, if applicable) card?

No. It means that if you call the Prefect action to harvest resources, you must use the Prefect Magnus card. You cannot hold it until later when it might potentially be more profitable for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roger-e wrote:

You can't "use it in lieu of another card". It changes the effect of the Prefect when you play the Prefect, but you can't "play" the Praefectus Magnus itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
roger-e wrote:

You can't "use it in lieu of another card". It changes the effect of the Prefect when you play the Prefect, but you can't "play" the Praefectus Magnus itself.

What I meant was, if I have the PM card in my hand, and a Prefect card (or a Diplomat card that can be used as a Prefect card), must I play the Prefect (or Diplomat card) and PM card since I am able to, as the rule seems to say? Or am I only required to play the PM card IF I play the Prefect (or Diplomat) card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
roger-e wrote:

No. It means that if you call the Prefect action to harvest resources, you must use the Prefect Magnus card. You cannot hold it until later when it might potentially be more profitable for you.

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roger-e wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
roger-e wrote:

What I meant was, if I have the PM card in my hand, and a Prefect card (or a Diplomat card that can be used as a Prefect card), must I play the Prefect (or Diplomat card) and PM card since I am able to, as the rule seems to say? Or am I only required to play the PM card IF I play the Prefect (or Diplomat) card?
You are only required to play the PM if (1) you take the Prefect Action and (2) you Prefect for goods, not money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.