D S

California
msg tools
I, unfortunately, lost the plastic wells that my Falcon and Slave I were in while transporting it to various houses to demo the game.

I'm now looking into getting some Pick N' Pluck foam that I keep hearing about but on the cheap.

Anyone have a link to some good foam that will do the job but not cost an arm and a leg. How much should I expect to pay?

Also, I'm a tad confused as to how this stuff works. Is it solid foam but easy to "pick n pluck" or is it pre-cut into little squares which you then pull out.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is some of the foam I've been using:
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1062-Pick-Pluck-Micro-Case/dp/...

You can see it storing the Falcons, slaves, and a shuttle here:
The 40th Storage Solution: Hello Wave 3

It fits perfectly in the large compartment of the most popular storage case: the Plano 5231.

Now I am using this foam:
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/charcoal-pick-and-pluck-foa...

And you can see it storing ships here:
It's been a while since . . . A New Storage Solution

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S

California
msg tools
Perfect, thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonel_C64 wrote:

Also, I'm a tad confused as to how this stuff works. Is it solid foam but easy to "pick n pluck" or is it pre-cut into little squares which you then pull out.

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully you can see from the links I have above, that it is precut into squares. These cuts go all the way through the foam. It is VERY easy to tear the sections out. Because it is so easy, it is also very easy to tear too much. My recommendation is to measure 5 times so you only have to tear once. Err on the side of caution. You can always rip another square out. Not so easy to glue them back in.

Also, because when you tear the section out, it makes a hole all the way through the foam. So if you are using a plastic case, the foam will protect you ship from sliding back and forth, but it will be sitting on the hard plastic of the case and can freely bounce up and down. Because of this I recommend making the fit with the ships a little tight so it grips them and keeps them from bouncing up and down. Also, I try to remove the cutout all in one piece. Then I get a perfect block of foam in the shape of the hole that is about 2" thick (whatever the the thickness of the foam is). I then take a scissors and cut a cross section of the removed block so I have a cut out shape that is only 0.5" thick. Then I put the thinner section back in the hole, so my ship is resting on that instead of the hard, plastic case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S

California
msg tools
Thank you thank you thank you!!

I'm definitely checking out the storage threads which I've ignored lately only because I didn't need to change things up much. But my collection is not only growing but my uses are changing.

Before, I mainly gamed at home but I've been taking it to various friend's houses so I need something a bit more organized/travel friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a whole bunch of pluck foam and also .25" sheets for top and bottom. It's very possible If you already have boxes or what not, I can hook you up with some foam for pretty cheap.

Geekmail me and we can chat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan S
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the APC carrying case by Portable Warfare. Pretty cheap and you can fit a lot of stuff in them.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/pow0205-1-1.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.