Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say that for the most part my gaming group is my wife and my son (age 7 almost 8). Occasionally others.

My son has played plenty of different games and gets gaming at a basic level. Like can he play Pokemon, King of Tokyo, etc. for sure... might need help at points but he can make good strategic decisions.

My wife likes to play games where she can kill me... she's hates co-ops.
But basically likes stuff that we can play in under an hour instead of a TV show.

I take it this is a pretty easy to get into game and I clearly understand the rules and I think they're simple enough for my group to enjoy... plan, move, shoot, repeat.

I also understand that it can last in the 15 minutes to hour range for the most part.
That is a great target range and there's a luck factor too that's not there in short games like Hive (which is so chess like).
Play anywhere to a degree is a plus too.

Anyway I was wondering if this is enough to keep us occupied for a long time:
1 - Core Set (1 x-wing and 2 tie)
1 - Tie Advance (i.e. Darth Vader)
1 - Millennium Falcon (i.e. Han Solo, Chewy)

I'm sure we'll play both generic dogfight and also scenarios.
I'm not gonna be looking to create some mega space battle or anything.

Also do any of these come with extra dice or is it just you get 3 red 3 green in core.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you need still something for the Imperium side or the Falcon is going to swipe the floors with them. Either Slave-1 or maybe Imperial Aces. And then you need another small ship for the rebels, one X-wing can not do much. But now it starts to spiral out of control..

Only the core set comes with dice. You can choose to buy an extra dice pack or an extra core set. (Good value for money, and then you'd have two X-Wings and enough TIE Fighters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can purchase the separate dice pack, but it's not worth the investment. I (and I'm sure many others) would recommend to purchase two Core Sets to start out. You'll get the extra dice, some templates and it'll really give you the best options for some great squads.

Most people would suggest to stay away from the TIE Advanced as there are better and more fun ships to fly. I would recommend getting the Imperial Aces pack for some good bang for your buck and the TIE Interceptor is one of the most fun ships to fly. That pack will also give you some great cards for customization (Push the Limit, lots of ship upgrades, etc).

The Millenium Falcon is really easy to fly and a gorgeous piece, but it will give your rebel team a distinct advantage if you're just starting with what you have. I would recommend looking at another smaller Rebel ship that would give you some different choices. The Y-Wing is a great choice and becoming very popular in the meta.

All that being said, you aren't really playing tournament so get whatever you want and I'm sure you and your family will have a good time.

TL;DR:
My personal recommendation for the best way to spend your money:
-Two Core Sets (check your local Targets to see if they have any in clearance left)
-Imperial Aces (comes with two TIE Interceptors and lots of upgrades)
-A Y-Wing to round out your rebels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 2 cores to start. But if you need that Falcon, go ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's hard to know as a Noob what will balance out the Falcon.
Much easier to get kids involved when the know the ship Falcon or person Vader.

I thought maybe Vader would help that! He's gotta be somewhat decent right?

Maybe having 2 cores with 4 Tie.
Plus the extra dice for core #2.. they seem a bit skimpy on that.
Then Falcon and Tie advanced.

And I see how it can get out of control fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is balanced based on build points, so you'll probably want one more imperial ship to balance things out if you get the Falcon. (the falcon's useful ships are between 42-46 points, the tie advanced is 29 for the best one - Vader) 2 Core sets is pretty necessary so that each player can have their own maneuver templates (no reaching across the map) as well as 6 of each die (just share dice all around).

I'd say if you want to start with what you've got:

2 core sets
Falcon
Tie Advanced
One more imperial ship

or

2 core sets
Falcon
Bounty Hunter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll spiral out of control fast!! Enjoy the ride!

With that set up, you should be okay to face a Falcon (just send as many TIE's after it as you can).

Here's an example match up that fits the components of 2x cores, a TIE/Ad and a Falcon.

Imperials:

Darth Vader (29)
Squad Leader (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

"Night Beast" (15)

"Dark Curse" (16)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Expert Handling (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder
Edit: You could give Darth Vader some Concussion or Cluster Missiles instead of the Shield Upgrade on Dark Curse. My concern would be that Vader is likely going to be your target and if he's taken out before the missiles can be fired, then that's a big loss. Definitely worth experimenting with.

Rebels:
Han Solo (46)
Marksmanship (3)
Gunner (5)
Chewbacca (4)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Core set > Second Core Set > Tie Fighter Expansion (Or print out the pilot cards from it) > X Wing Expansion (Or print cards) > Millenium Falcon > All other ships (Just pick and choose which ones you like, but try to keep a balance between the two sides).

Just my 2 cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funkleton Funk
United Kingdom
swanage
dorset
flag msg tools
southj95 wrote:

2 Core sets, TIE Adv and the Falcon would make a pretty good opening purchase.
Just add a Y-wing, either straight away or later down the line, and you have all the ships and many of the named characters present at the Battle of Yavin.
That wouldn't be a bad place to call it a day in terms of your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's probably what I'll end up with Toby...
2 core
1 tie adv
1 falcon

Maybe 1 Y, etc. if we all like the game.

I like Star Wars but it's more at the 30,000 foot level.
I don't feel the need to have every little guy or ship for sure.
That and I'm not gonna be at the game store in some massive battle/tournament (those days of carefree kid-less gaming are gone for now).

My kids will like the 3D-ness of the game and the overall simplicity is at the right level I believe.
Luck is in there too which I know some people hate but when you play with kids and wife you need some of that to balance things.
Plus the kids know Darth Vader even if that's just from a birthday party at Chik Fil A where they whacked him with nerf light sabers.

The wife loves Harrison Ford... I'm mean loves
She's actually more the sci-fi person in the family too.
She'll readily turn stuff like star wars re-runs on way before I ever would.

If we can get it out setup quick and have a battle and it be done in a hour and feel like Dad doesn't always win then it's a success in my book.

Thanks for the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funkleton Funk
United Kingdom
swanage
dorset
flag msg tools
southj95 wrote:
Yeah that's probably what I'll end up with Toby...
2 core
1 tie adv
1 falcon

Maybe 1 Y, etc. if we all like the game.

I like Star Wars but it's more at the 30,000 foot level.
I don't feel the need to have every little guy or ship for sure.
That and I'm not gonna be at the game store in some massive battle/tournament (those days of carefree kid-less gaming are gone for now).

My kids will like the 3D-ness of the game and the overall simplicity is at the right level I believe.
Luck is in there too which I know some people hate but when you play with kids and wife you need some of that to balance things.
Plus the kids know Darth Vader even if that's just from a birthday party at Chik Fil A where they whacked him with nerf light sabers.

The wife loves Harrison Ford... I'm mean loves
She's actually more the sci-fi person in the family too.
She'll readily turn stuff like star wars re-runs on way before I ever would.

If we can get it out setup quick and have a battle and it be done in a hour and feel like Dad doesn't always win then it's a success in my book.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I know what you mean - sometimes it feels like I spend more time tinkering with lists, trying out new ways to store and transport my collection, and deciding how many of each ship in each new wave to buy (not which ones, but how many lol!), than I do actually playing the game.

Then of course there's resisting the urge to buy more minis just for the unique upgrade cards

and I call myself a casual player lol!

There's something to be said for deciding upfront what your collection should consist of and sticking to it - and if you're going to do it that way then a set which has all of the most iconic ships and pilots would be the obvious choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play against my wife regularly, as well. She's gotten pretty handy with a "Han Shoots First" list similar to the one mentioned above!

I'll join the chorus for two core sets. Two sets of maneuver templates/dice and the second damage deck are huge for one-household play.

For rapid setup, I'd recommend having lists at the ready. Use a list builder or print pre-made sheets. There are some threads floating around with storage and quick-play suggestions already.

If you can, leaving assembled ships/game stuff out will cut down on setup time dramatically (and allow you to pause and continue a match the next day). Cats disallow this strategy.

HF!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funkleton wrote:
southj95 wrote:

2 Core sets, TIE Adv and the Falcon would make a pretty good opening purchase.
Just add a Y-wing, either straight away or later down the line, and you have all the ships and many of the named characters present at the Battle of Yavin.
That wouldn't be a bad place to call it a day in terms of your collection.

I particularly like this recommendation. I think having the Y-Wing and the Falcon to offer two turret weapons would be a good option for a younger kid to have while he learns. It allows him to still get some shots in while he learns how to predict his opponent to get things into a normal firing arc.

Darth Vader's pretty much the only TIE Advanced that's worth taking; if you guys enjoy the game with the above, I'd suggest also picking up an Imperial Aces pack for a few TIE Interceptors; they're a lot of fun and will offer your two core + Vader list a little more in the way of options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.