Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My group and I play Pandemic every now and again and I'm wondering if it's worth picking this up too.

I think we would enjoy it, I just don't know if it's worth spending the money on it when it seems like it will scratch the same itch that Pandemic does?

I know it's not expensive, I just think I could spend the extra on a new game entirely, or a Pandemic expansion instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island is a bit like a light Pandemic. Forbidden Desert is quite different.

Unless the "itch" is simply co-operative games in general, I can definitely recommend owning both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good game, but pandemic is deeper. They do scratch a similar itch. Forbidden Desert is really cheap for how good the production quality is, exceptions being the early printings having issues with some cardboard pieces. I own both and Forbidden Island, and I would say unless you really love these types of games you may not need both. If you really love it and are looking for some variation (getting equipment, exploring tiles, some unique powers, and a sandstorm whirling around) then this is the one to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
Desert not that deep, fun, but you won't get much run with it like pandemic.

Maybe a new co-op entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got the Lord of the Rings co-op which we play too, but to be honest we haven't mastered Pandemic yet, I think this is more a case of I have some cash and want to buy games!

We would definitely enjoy FD, although the game play does look very much like Pandemic, and we don't want to go any lighter either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert feels very, very different from Pandemic, and (strangely enough) is far more interesting and fun while remaining lighter than Pandemic! Mind you, both games are both pretty light to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
maybe Flash Point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic and Forbidden Desert are very different. Forbidden Island, on the other hand, is Pandemic lite. Desert, in contrast, ditches the hand management puzzle at the heart of Pandemic (and Forbidden Island) in favor of an increased emphasis on exploration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Pandemic and Forbidden Desert are very different. Forbidden Island, on the other hand, is Pandemic lite. Desert, in contrast, ditches the hand management puzzle at the heart of Pandemic (and Forbidden Island) in favor of an increased emphasis on exploration.

Now that is what I tried to say and failed miserably at!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Grenier
United States
Fort Leonard Wood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Forbidden Desert and Flash Point (I do not own Pandemic however I have read/watched several reviews and game play videos so I am familiar with the game).

If you’re looking for a similar experience to Pandemic I would pick up Flash point if you haven't already. Flash point and the massive amount of expansions will make every game slightly different and has a high replay value. There is also a new board currently on kick starter! This adds two additional maps I believe that look interesting and are only $15 with some kick starter exclusives. This is also a good place to get all the expansions for under market value with free shipping to the US. I would purchase Flash Point from Amazon though as it is the same price plus you won’t have to wait until November for shipment. Flash point is a great game even with 2 players and from what I have heard/seen it is much better than Pandemic.

Forbidden Desert is also a great game however like others had said it is not as deep as Pandemic or Flash Point. I have played this game with 2 players (several times) and 4 players (twice). It is good with two players and can still be difficult but is really cool with 4 players and involves more strategy and working together to be successful. It is very easy to adjust the difficulty as you only change one aspect of the game and that is to start "the storm" at a higher difficulty level which I like because it is an easy change. I highly recommend this game although if you don’t own Flash Point and have $10 more dollars to spend I would purchase this first.

Just so you have a cost idea Flash Point runs for about $28 on Amazon and Forbidden Desert is about $18. Both great games at an excellent price for what you are getting.

It’s also worth noting that both Flash Point and Forbidden Desert are of excellent quality (especially Forbidden Desert which is so dang cheap!)

I have not played Forbidden Island however it is a little cheaper, the quality looks just as good but it is worth noting that the majority of gamers prefer Forbidden Desert over Forbidden Island from my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil May
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Although a fantastic game, Pandemic is better. I would recommend spending your money on the on the brink expansion or if your itch is a co op game with impending doom on every turn, may I also recommend flashpoint fire rescue or ghost stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.