Subject: Optional Start Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurred to me that the existing start rule re road selection could lead to some problems as players get to know the board better, with each player trying to obtain the most advantageous start point. The logical way out of this, is to dice for who gets the first choice of entry road ( with a re-roll on ties ).

However, I have come up with a more equitable means of dealing with this ; which also provides for a generally more challenging ( and random ) game . Note that you will need a 1-10 ( 0-9 ) die.

Firstly : Label all of the entry roads with a number between 1 and 10. You will note that there are eleven roads in, so one number ( only ) will be duplicated.

[ I have labelled mine as follows : Barsham : 1 , Breaume and Larch : 2 , Fromage : 3 , hawkfield : 4 , Lype : 5 , oakleigh : 6 ,
parlham : 7 , pimbury : 8 , Sarbury : 9 , vincium : 10 ( 0 ). ]

The rule : Instead of selecting a road on which to enter the board, roll a 1-10 die. The number rolled is the entry road ( for that player ). If a player rolls the same number as a road already allocated by a previous roll, a re-roll is made until an unused ( entry ) road is rolled. Note that a roll of 2 [ substitute your choice of duplicate number here if required ] gives a choice of two entry roads. If after a choice has been made on a roll of 2 [ or whatever your substitute number is ] , a second roll of 2 [ or whatever your substitute number is ] occurs ; the player does not re-roll but gets the second ( unused ) entry road. A third roll of 2 [ or whatever your substitute number is ] will thereafter require a re-roll to be made.

[ Note that the detail inside the squared brackets in the actual rule above, is not part of the rule and should not be “written” out. It‘s just helpful reminder information. ]

A cross reference to this optional rule on : Page 4 : 3. Starting the Game ( inserted after the second paragraph ), is recommended ( if you decide to use it ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't argue, just play!
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
...or D12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could easily adjust the stated methodogy to use a D12 die.

Whatever works for you ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.