Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt G
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long story short, a week after a late night on ebay looking for Elder Sign, I ended up with a copy of Eldritch Horror. (Sober, I swear, just dumb.)

So now I have both. Elder Sign is a'ight. I wanted a die rolling game, and boy did I get one.

But because I don't love Elder Sign, is there any reason to expect I might have a better experience with Eldritch Horror?

Gaming background: I'm much more of a euro-person. Favorite games are Agricola and Castles of Burgundy and all those standards. I play mostly with my wife--who also loves those games.

We haven't had much luck with co-ops. Pandemic was a bust. I had the Lord of the Rings LCG for a while, and enjoyed that solo, but my wife couldn't care less about it.

She sportingly joined in for two sessions of Elder Sign, but when she saw me setting up the game a third time, she said, "have fun" and read a book.

Things I like about Elder Sign: I like the Lovecraft stuff. (I've read all of his short stories.) I like the dice rolling and the clues and spells and items that let you add dice/lock-in dice or otherwise mitigate your luck.

Things I don't like: The repetition, the tedium, the repetition. The lack of any strategic variety. (Let's see, maybe in this game we should tackle the easier adventures first, collect some clues and items before going to the harder ones. And then in the game against this bad guy, maybe we should tackle the easier adventures first, collect some clues and items before we try the harder ones.)

So, should I bother with Elder Sign's big brother?

I have a used-but-unpunched (and odd-smelling) copy of Eldritch Horror. Should I go ahead and punch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I imagine that you wouldn't like it. If you're more of a non-coop / Euro person, I don't see why you'd like an Ameri-trashy cooperative, regardless of how good it is. I'd consider watching a long run through.

Rahdo Runs Through►►► Eldritch Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will like Eldritch Horror more than Elder Sign (there is a lot more strategy), but at its heart it is still primarily a thematic game.

If no part of the reason you want to play is because you want to be an investigator in the 20s fighting ancient evils, I would just buy more euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lukewarm on Elder Sign but I love Eldritch (full disclosure: I am more of a thematic games fan). It's a completely different game. Given your background, what might irk you at first is that there is randomness in the game - at worst a snakes and ladders feel in the first few games. That feeling abates to a good degree as you learn the game and know how to prepare for awful events, but it will never go away entirely. It works, though; a feeling of dread hangs over the game that was never there in Elder Sign.

It is also a longer game than you may have been playing. With one to four players, though, the time just glides by. There is much more variety in the game strategically. The investigators play differently and the GOO's create different game experiences. Finally, you will have to accept that you will lose - especially early on - and in ways which might seem like unfair doom spirals. You have to enjoy the ride. If you're a Lovecraft fan it's easier (I am and do). If your wife is not, then it's at least a question you might ask her.

Again, I love Eldritch Horror and would recommend it you give it a try (worth the price of admission for the difference in punched resale if you don't like it). Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is my other favorite co-op, by the way, for many of the same reasons. I have to mention that title given your appreciation for Euros; I suggest you give that one a look as well. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign is, in a word, shit. It has neither decisions nor story, and is basically an exercise in rolling dice until you win (because losing is next to impossible).

Eldritch Horror is much, much better. It tells a pretty good story considering the events in it are mostly random, and contains at least some element of strategy (and it's actually possible, nay, likely you'll lose).

I can't say whether you will like EH or not, but not liking ES is not an indicator (once again, because it's shit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not much of a correlation between the games, in my own experience.

Elder Sign became fun only when I modified with an elaborate variant. Even then it's hardly my first choice.

I like Mansions. I love Arkham. I don't like Eldritch all that much, despite the fact that it is very similar to Arkham.

But from the looks of it, Eldritch is worth a shot. The things you don't like in ES aren't much of an issue in EH. There is significantly more strategy involved (yet not so much, I feel, that the game can't go off the rails from bad luck).

Sorry I can't contribute much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not enjoy Elder Signs very much. I love Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is a long game, but it is not repetitive in the way Elder Sign is. You actually feel like you have achieved something by the end of the game, whether that is acquiring an awesome arsenal of weapons and spells, or acquiring a depressing array of madnesses and injuries.

The real thing is that there is a sense of progressing (in a good way or a bad) instead of just getting things, turning them into "points" (elder signs), and then doing it over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say if you'd like it or not. You really haven't rated too many Ameritrash/Thematic games. As others have said, the two games are completely different.

Elder Sign strips away too much of the theme imo. Eldritch is very much a thematic game. It's not a Euro. It's not balanced, you can lose just from bad luck of the draw. Winning or losing isn't really the point though. It tells a story. If you immerse yourself in that story, good or bad, you'll enjoy yourself. If not, you probably won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
I was lukewarm on Elder Sign but I love Eldritch (full disclosure: I am more of a thematic games fan). It's a completely different game. Given your background, what might irk you at first is that there is randomness in the game - at worst a snakes and ladders feel in the first few games. That feeling abates to a good degree as you learn the game and know how to prepare for awful events, but it will never go away entirely. It works, though; a feeling of dread hangs over the game that was never there in Elder Sign.

It is also a longer game than you may have been playing. With one to four players, though, the time just glides by. There is much more variety in the game strategically. The investigators play differently and the GOO's create different game experiences. Finally, you will have to accept that you will lose - especially early on - and in ways which might seem like unfair doom spirals. You have to enjoy the ride. If you're a Lovecraft fan it's easier (I am and do). If your wife is not, then it's at least a question you might ask her.

Again, I love Eldritch Horror and would recommend it you give it a try (worth the price of admission for the difference in punched resale if you don't like it). Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is my other favorite co-op, by the way, for many of the same reasons. I have to mention that title given your appreciation for Euros; I suggest you give that one a look as well. Have fun!

This ^....verbatim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Elder Sign is, in a word, shit. It has neither decisions nor story, and is basically an exercise in rolling dice until you win (because losing is next to impossible).

Eldritch Horror is much, much better. It tells a pretty good story considering the events in it are mostly random, and contains at least some element of strategy (and it's actually possible, nay, likely you'll lose).

I can't say whether you will like EH or not, but not liking ES is not an indicator (once again, because it's shit).

Chris, I have in the past always enjoyed reading your comments as they are informed and amusing. But, please don't use offensive language. It is unnecessary and makes you seem to be deliberately trolling. I have stopped posting file updates to BGG because I've noticed a disappointing increase in the deliberate use of offensive language and the tendency of members of BGG to reward such language with thumbs up.

[Added]
The use of the word crap would have worked just as well and would have been much less offensive than shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Chris, I have in the past always enjoyed reading your comments as they are informed and amusing. But, please don't use offensive language. It is unnecessary and makes you seem to be deliberately trolling. I have stopped posting file updates to BGG because I've noticed a disappointing increase in the deliberate use of offensive language and the tendency of members of BGG to reward such language with thumbs up.

[Added]
The use of the word crap would have worked just as well and would have been much less offensive than shit.

I use whichever word most accurately conveys my thoughts and feelings, and in this case, crap just doesn't cut it.

That's a weird image. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Eh is much better then Es. If you like ES you will fall in love with EH… but beware you might not back to ES after EH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

[Added]

I use whichever word most accurately conveys my thoughts and feelings, and in this case, crap just doesn't cut it.

That's a weird image. gulp

Yes but you're clearly an educated person and so you should be able to express yourself without swearing - it just takes a little bit more effort.

You could have posted ES is a complete pile of the proverbial - to my mind just as funny and would convey your feelings just as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, that if you don't like a post, you can hide it with the X button.
When you quote or repost the offense, you are not only repeating it, but also inviting others to respond and repeat it further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Remember, that if you don't like a post, you can hide it with the X button.

But only after you've already read it, to realize that it's offensive. yuk

I like forums that offer chat filters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An update, if you're curious. I went ahead and punched and we tried it last night. It was fun. It all works very cleverly and it was fun to read the cards and enjoy the story. We lost. We spent too much time trying to fight monsters instead of trying to get through the first mystery, but it was fun. The game length is a bit of a problem, our game-playing time is in the precious few hours between when our kid falls asleep and when we do. I probably won't keep the game, but I will try to get through a few more plays before trading/selling.

And, everyone is right, it's much better/different than Elder Sign. And after playing this, I understand a lot better what people mean when they talk about theme.

Thanks for all the comments, they were helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Salwitz
msg tools
Eldritch Horror definitely better. There's a lot more in depth decisions. I think the theme is better done in that one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.