Subject: 3 Player Economic games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
caleb G.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself playing Power Grid 3 players fairly often and (though I love the game) it's not as good 3 players as it is with more. I was just looking for suggestions for preferably shorter economic games that work well with 3.

I looked at acquire, and speculation, but I'm not sure how scaling is. I am opening to any suggestions though.

P.s. I know about the robots for power grid, but I was really wanting a shorter alternative if I only had 3 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Black Friday, also by FF, is an excellent game that plays well at all player counts. The rules are not as complex as many say, it's just the rulebook is horrible. Ignore it and print up one of the excellent rewrites available on the files page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how you define a "shorter" game (different people have different expectations when it comes to that sort of thing), but I'm quite a fan of Vinhos, a great deep economic game involving Portuguese wine production and has a Euro-like style that is great at getting Eurogamers (who might not typically jump into pure economic games) to play. It's my go-to heavy economic game and we can usually get a game done in under two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caleb G.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:
I'm not sure how you define a "shorter" game (different people have different expectations when it comes to that sort of thing)

Sorry didn't mean to be vague, I meant shorter than power grid. Which is about 2 hours with 3 players.

Thanks for the suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indonesia is great at 3 but you can't really call it short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Wealth of Nations. I've never played it with 3, but I know it has some interesting starting mechanics to provide good variation with different players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reef Encounter gets top billing for 3p economics, although the economics are in aquatic guise.
Age of Industry or Brass: Lancashire are great with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador is a great economic game with a floating market mechanic.
Brass: Lancashire is an astounding game, probably lasting 90m at 3 if you are snappy about it.
Steam should last about 90m and there are maps that work best with every number from 2-6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is a great economic game that is best with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Black Friday, also by FF, is an excellent game that plays well at all player counts. The rules are not as complex as many say, it's just the rulebook is horrible. Ignore it and print up one of the excellent rewrites available on the files page.

thumbsup

Better game than its rating and reviews suggest. Rule book is dire though. Game play (process) is actually really quite straight forward. I enjoy it every time it gets an outing.

Shame you are not in the UK where it is available for about $15 at the moment from a discount outlet (The Works).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caleb G.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check these out. I don't mind if they're lighter games than power grid either, most of these I believe are about on par.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express would be my first recommendation.
Also check out Airlines Europe and Santiago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3 is a tough number for most economic games. I find that the best number for most economic games is 4. I find that with 2 or 3 players that the mechanics used in a lot of economic games don't get a chance to shine.

Now as for being useful....can you elaborate as to what kind of economic games you like? What is it about Power Grid that you like? Do you want to build an engine or do you like buying and selling things on the open market? I find with economic games the type of mechanic you like is really important to know.

A suggestion I would make for you if you haven't tried it would be Village. Technically not an economic game but it is an awesome 3 player game and I could probably make some very far fetched argument as to how it could be an economic game...but instead I will say that my group and I love Power Grid but since getting Village Power Grid has had to sit and watch us play Village.

One other game that might be worth looking into would beSuburbia. Again a great 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masters of Venice is a hardcore economic game that plays pretty well with 3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
Check out Wealth of Nations. I've never played it with 3, but I know it has some interesting starting mechanics to provide good variation with different players.

With three players, each player starts with more startup packages than with more than three players. This scales the game well but it's been a long time since I've played Wealth of Nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alonso Alvarez
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
Coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look at:

Prêt-à-Porter

Indonesia

The Great Zimbabwe

All 3 games work great with 3 players.

Also I could point you in the direction of Locomotive Werks, it is worth a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you haven't tried it, the Power Grid: Benelux/Central Europe expansion for Power Grid is excellent with three players. You can get a full game played in under 90 minutes, too, in case you're concerned about game length.

Edit: Play the Benelux board with three. I haven't played Central Europe with three, but it is excellent with 4-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.