Subject: A new twist on religious freedom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was interesting. A nurse-midwife in Florida applies for a job at a family planning clinic. When they find out she would refuse to prescribe the pill to someone who wanted or needed it, they did not hire her. So she sues for religious discrimination.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/07/21/sara_hellweg...

This one is a bit ridiculous. As a nurse you KNOW what family planning clinics do. Why are you applying to a clinic knowing full well what the job requirements are, if you know you are not going to be able to fulfill those job requirements ahead of time.

That's like someone seeking a job as a surgeon whose religious beliefs dictate that cutting into someone is against their religion and shouldn't be done.

You can add your own analogy if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
So she stated she wouldn't prescribe the pill for a woman who thinks she needs it to regulate a dangerously oscillating period for example if the doctor is not convinced it's absolutely needed? How could she be hired?

EDIT:
I overlooked a key phrase before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
I thought this was interesting. A nurse-midwife in Florida applies for a job at a family planning clinic. When they find out she would refuse to prescribe the pill to someone who wanted or needed it, they did not hire her. So she sues for religious discrimination.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/07/21/sara_hellweg...

This one is a bit ridiculous. As a nurse you KNOW what family planning clinics do. Why are you applying to a clinic knowing full well what the job requirements are, if you know you are not going to be able to fulfill those job requirements ahead of time.

That's like someone seeking a job as a surgeon whose religious beliefs dictate that cutting into someone is against their religion and shouldn't be done.

You can add your own analogy if you like.

Sounds like she's fishing for some SCOTUS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I'm sure the lefties who don't think businesses should be able to impose their religious views on their employees will be here to defend her actions at any minute.

If she had been hired for the job after stating her religion did not allow her to do so and then she was fired for it, she might have a case.

Could I sue a business in the US if I applied for a job selling Philly cheese-steak sandwiches on Saturday mornings, told them I couldn't work on Saturdays or directly benefit from the mixture of meat and dairy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I'm sure the lefties who don't think businesses should be able to impose their religious views on their employees will be here to defend her actions at any minute.

There are certainly lefties (and righties, for that matter) who think that businesses shouldn't be able to impose their religious views on employees with respect to their private lives. That's a bit different than someone saying, "I'd like a job at a business that does X even though I refuse to do X for religious reasons."

Probably the closest analogy you have is with those who object to the Catholic school who fired a gay teacher when he got married. I think you can make a solid case that they should be able to fire him but I think there's a difference between "doesn't reflect the values of our mission" and "won't carry out the basic job".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Could I sue a business in the US if I applied for a job selling Philly cheese-steak sandwiches on Saturday mornings, told them I couldn't work on Saturdays or directly benefit from the mixture of meat and dairy?

Could you sue? Sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Could you sue? Sure.

Yes but it would be thrown out of court.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

I don't know any of those. As a lefty who thinks that businesses can't have religious views because that's stupid, I think that a business should be free not to hire someone who tells them up front they won't do their job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
We are assured, absolutely assured beyond any doubt, every time family planning is raised that abortion is a tiny fragment of Planned Parenthood and other services. It's all about condoms and counciling.

Perhaps this woman believed the lies? She was under the impression that a nurse midwife was supposed to deliver babies and give prenatal care? She wanted to work in an arena that support adoptions?

She answered an ad seeking a nurse midwife thinking the place actually wanted a nurse midwife who would function as a nurse midwife? If that is the case, I think she has a case.

What does abortion have to do with anything? She stated she would not prescribe birth control pills of any type without a pathology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Could you sue? Sure.

For the not working on Saturday thing, I wouldn't count on it, due to Religious Discrimination Laws. The Dairy and Meat thing, I don't know enough about to know if it is also religious discrimination.

Now if it could be shown the person hired instead of you was better qualified, then it would probably be dismissed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
We are assured, absolutely assured beyond any doubt, every time family planning is raised that abortion is a tiny fragment of Planned Parenthood and other services. It's all about condoms and counciling.

Perhaps this woman believed the lies? She was under the impression that a nurse midwife was supposed to deliver babies and give prenatal care? She wanted to work in an arena that support adoptions?

She answered an ad seeking a nurse midwife thinking the place actually wanted a nurse midwife who would function as a nurse midwife? If that is the case, I think she has a case.

In what world does a nurse-midwife not write scrips for birth control, Koldie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

What does abortion have to do with anything? She stated she would not prescribe birth control pills of any type without a pathology.

I missed the last phrase in my scan but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Take two condoms with a glass of water and call me in the morning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

No wonder you mormons have so many kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

No wonder you mormons have so many kids.

And all our cooking tastes like latex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Something something, Kolob.

Aaaaaaaaaaand /thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

The midwives who deliver babies and give prenatal care?

Post a poll outside RSP. Ask what midwives do. Prevent pregnancies or deliver babies?

You are shocked that a woman who has dedicated herself to life opposes abortions or contraception?

Take psychiatrists and psychologists. To a layman they are about the same. However psychologists cannot prescribe meds. That is the very reason some people become psychologists. What distinction is there between A midwife who wants to do prenatal and deliveries, and one who wants to be more involved in family planning to include contraception? There isn't a legal difference. It is up to her to state the scope of service she wishes to offer.

A big part of her lawsuit depends upon the size of the clinic. If she is the only provider, the clinic is gold. If she is one of many her case gets more solid. Also depends upon the nature if their advertisement.
What world do you live in?

Ah, I see. You're confusing nurse-midwife and direct-entry midwife. Your psychologist/psychiatrist analogy is actually pretty apt there. A nurse-midwife is more akin to a psychiatrist--their job is to deliver babies and provide pre-natal care, but also to write prescriptions and provide services like an OB/GYN. A direct-entry midwife is more like a therapist--trained for the one specific job (childbirth) but not for medical practice.

You can't be a CNM who expects to work in a practice and not write scrips. Practices like this hire CNMs specifically to do this kind of stuff so they can get by with fewer doctors on staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
It is up to her to state the scope of service she wishes to offer.

Also, if you believe this to be true, what sort of conservative are you who thinks she's entitled to a job even if she doesn't want to perform all the job duties? She's saying she won't do X, they're saying "fine, don't do X, but you can't work here if you won't because that's part of this job." What is it all y'all said about the Hobby Lobby thing? "If you don't like it, go work somewhere else."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

bjlillo wrote:

False issue. The nurse-midwife wants the "Religious Freedom" to not only be exempt from dispensing birth-control information to clients but also to express her own religious views about birth control to clients in order to influence their decision-making.

You apparently didn't read the last paragraph of that story.

In her news story entitled 'Pro-Life Nurse-Midwife Who Won’t Prescribe the Pill Sues Family Planning Center for Not Hiring Her', reporter Amanda Marcotte wrote:
Win or lose, Hellwege’s case provides insight in how the war on contraception is shaping up. Direct assaults through legislation are going to be a much harder sell with contraception than abortion, so instead we’re getting the argument that someone else’s “religious freedom” — your boss, your nurse — entitles them to interfere with your ability to get contraception. Family planning centers are one place that women have long been able to trust will provide them contraception access without unnecessary hassle, and now the Christian right is trying to take even that away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The nurse-midwife was the one seeking the job at a family planning clinic. She would have to be pretty dense not to understand that family planning includes contraception, including contraception types to which she might possibly have religious objections. It was incumbent upon her to find out what the job entailed, and what the job description was, and whether or not she was morally capable of fulfilling the requirements of the job.
If the answer there was no, then she should never have applied.

You don't apply for a job whose description you have moral objections to doing, and then claim that you are being discriminated against for not being hired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Really!? You think there is a case for refusing to hire someone who actually doesn't know what the job entails? And then says they wouldn't be able to perform the job function?

Absurdity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Could you sue? Sure.

Anything can can happen these days, it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Really!? You think there is a case for refusing to hire someone who actually doesn't know what the job entails? And then says they wouldn't be able to perform the job function?

Absurdity.

My religion says that anyone who gets an MBA is either wasting their own money or the taxpayers' money so, really, I should be exempt from any employer's requirements who demand an MBA for a particular job.

But my MBA is strictly for recreational purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is absurd to apply for a job that you know up front you are unwilling to do one of the primary job requirements.

*sigh*

I hate intentionally staged conflicts. Society already has too many real ones to sort out as it is.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course yet again I am reminded I should hold off replying until I really check out anything from a SLANTED SOURCE...

The job she applied for was at a Tampa Family HEALTH center that provides full service with a focus on providing care mainly for the disadvantaged. Which works with and through faith based centers.

So this is not like she applied to Planned Parenthood. It isn't a FAMILY PLANNING center at all. It doesn't even list family planning as one of it primary missions or goals. It lists taking care of colds through chronic care needs. They do have a women's health subdivision, along with a dentistry, pediatrics and elderly care one. But birth control is hardly the only thing they do. I doubt it is even 25% of what they do considering the long list of services they talk about providing.

Therefore I would think there are likely dozens of positions within their 17 locations that don't have ANYTHING to do with prescribing birth control.

And that they work with/through FAITH BASED programs would make it seem like a good place for a woman who wants to help the needy and who has a strong faith to apply.

https://www.tampachc.com/about%20us.htm

Quote:

Our Mission: Provide quality, caring, and accessible health care to a culturally diverse community.

Who We Are: Tampa Family Health Centers provides high quality, affordable health care to people residing in Hillsborough County. With thirteen (13) accredited and certified medical locations, TFHC continues to live its mission and provide exceptional health care to all of its patients

Patient Focused: TFHC is Your "Patient Center Medical Home" (PCMH) TFHC is so much more than a walk-in clinic or regular doctor's office. We want to be your "medical home," a one-stop shop for all of your health care needs. Whether it is the common cold or continued care of a chronic illness, we are here for you. Our team of caring doctors and staff focuses on helping you achieve your health goals quickly and easily.

Community-Focused: TFHC works with local schools, shelters, and faith-based programs to provide health care, support, education, and outreach to the Tampa community. We also serve as a referral source for services such as food, shelter, financial counseling, as well as local, state, and federal assistance programs.

Our Staff: We are proud of our team as they are the foundation of our medical home. Our staff goes through extensive training to ensure that our patients are comfortable in our clinic. If you are interested in joining the TFHC Family, please see our current job openings on our Career Page.

So if you are Pro-Life you shouldn't be allowed to hold any positions in the medical field? Even when there are plenty of jobs that don't require dealing with birth control at all?

*sigh*
I hate slanted articles that basically LIE even more than I hate staged for show conflicts. Which it turns out this might not be afterall.

shakeshakeshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.