Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Having done a review of this game found here Villainy Never Felt so Good! I have some additional thoughts after more plays.

First, I decided to play every plot once against all Commanders. The data from these battles shows (at least to me) that the game is very tight and balanced.
For Commanders here are our records:
Dr. Strange: 5 wins, 3 losses
Professor X: 5 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw
Nick Fury: 4 wins, 3 losses, 1 draw
Odin: 2 wins, 5 losses, 1 draw

Odin proved very difficult and I think that is for two reasons. First, his 10 fight and second the fact that you always use the Asgardian Warriors and this makes it extremely difficult to eliminate your starting cards from you deck.

Nick Fury with his demolish ability makes his commander strike almost as devastating as the master strike of Apocalypse.

Professor X with his pawns can be tricky especially early in the game or if two commander strikes come out in rapid succession.

Dr. Strange is interesting with his command strike ability to play twists. He would be even more difficult is you played ALL of the twists revealed and not just one.

For the plots, they too are mostly very competitive and one is downright brutal. The data on the plots to date (including my initial plays):

Graduation: 3 wins, 2 losses
War Machine Armor: 3 wins, 3 losses
Resurrect Heroes: 0 wins, 6 losses, 1 draw
Crush Hydra: 3 wins, 3 losses, 2 draws
Crown Thor: 2 wins, 3 losses, 2 draws
Build Underground Prison: 3 wins, 1 loss
Cage Villains: 2 wins, 2 losses
Infiltrate Spies: 3 wins, 1 loss

The Resurrect Heroes plot leaves zero margin for error given what twists seven and eight do. The others I think are well balanced and even with the good records we've had against the Spies and Prison plots, each game has been tense.

Now, for the caveat. I must admit that all these games have been against my favorite Frightening Five team (Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Mysterio, Venom, and Kraven) so YMMV with other villains. This team of villains seem to work really well together and having that rare Doc Ock can be devastating (I just used him to polish off Apocalypse at the end of our most recent game). And if you can combine him with rare Green Goblin (which I have done a couple of times) look out below!

So over all I think the game is still a blast. Now I've started my latest project: having my Frightening Five take on all the masterminds one time in a random scheme. We just laid waste to Apocalypse and Carnage is next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best of luck to you and the Frightening Five. Give 'em heck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.