Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Police Precinct» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas for Special Powers for THE NEW CHARACTERS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Gang!

I wanted to start a conversation about Special Powers for Characters.

So...

if anyone has an idea they want to toss out...

Feel free!!!

A little details on this:

The 1st Edition had 8 Characters with a total of 13 Special Powers.

The 2nd Edition added another 8 characters and some more Special Powers.

Then...

Will come yet even more characters.

but...

When and what?

Those are good questions.

Season Two is a very likely opportunity to add more.

The Kickstarter for Season Two should occur later this year or early '15.

We want to keep the gender mix exactly equal, and we want to add non-humans (in particular at least one K9).

Not much else to report at this point, but stay tuned!

For now, and for this thread, we just want a place for ideas to pool regarding possible special powers.

btw - This "new" conversation is one that has been going on all along in bits and pieces, and we hope that this thread can be a warehouse for misc ideas moving forward.

Thanks in advance to all who contribute ideas!


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for our Top Ten List

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes time to print more new characters here are a few places we can look for ideas:

1. The BGG Police Precinct image gallery. Several of them have been of character cards with some pretty cool special powers!

2. Ole of course is always the best place to find cool stuff. In fact he has a bunch of awesome characters all ready to go already!

3. Below in this thread...



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea to contribute to get things rolling is...

DELEGATE: Each turn, prior to moving, you may reassign one Patrol Officer, or two at the cost of one Police Card, or play the Officer Assistance card even if you are not at the Station.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some ideas; most are ideas I used for my homebrew characters-

Some new characters

Urgency: Move 4 spaces with a marked police car, move 3 spaces with an undercover car.

Persistence: Re-roll 1’s on Emergency and Arrest rolls once per roll.

Robot Drone: Look at an Unknown Circumstances token before attempting to resolve it.

Resilient: May re-roll one die on Arrest rolls.

Vice Squad: The officer has a Vice Squad token which can be used once per game to automatically arrest three street punks. The officer does not get a donut for the arrests, and the murderer cannot be arrested this way.

Useful tip: Spend a donut to discard an additional blank card when drawing from an Evidence deck.

Press Conference: The officer has a PR token which can be spent to move the Crime Rate token back one space or to prevent the murder from moving at the end of the turn. The murderer still moves to the indicated hood at the end of the next turn.

Persuasion: May move one Gang Member in a Bad Hood to a different Bad Hood at start of your turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Filippelli
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One character could be a motorcycle cop. His or her special ability: They could move one more road space than any other police vehicle. The trade-off would be that their Investigation and/or Arrest skills would be low.

You could keep their Emergency skill high to balance it out. They could get to the scene quickly b/c of their fast motorcycle, but would most likely have to rely on help from others in the form of police cards or backup.

Their skill would also come in handy when chasing the stolen car and for quickly taking care of traffic accidents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Filippelli
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
INTERNAL AFFAIRS: Able to spend one less doughnut when accusing someone of being the dirty cop.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dootsman2002 wrote:
One character could be a motorcycle cop. His or her special ability: They could move one more road space than any other police vehicle. The trade-off would be that their Investigation and/or Arrest skills would be low.

You could keep their Emergency skill high to balance it out. They could get to the scene quickly b/c of their fast motorcycle, but would most likely have to rely on help from others in the form of police cards or backup.

Their skill would also come in handy when chasing the stolen car and for quickly taking care of traffic accidents.


Ole has a CHiPs character that has this ability to move one space further, so...

Great minds think alike!

Maybe their special skill could be to automatically reduce traffic accident difficulty level by one.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scharlemagne wrote:
Here are some ideas; most are ideas I used for my homebrew characters-

Some new characters

Urgency: Move 4 spaces with a marked police car, move 3 spaces with an undercover car.

Persistence: Re-roll 1’s on Emergency and Arrest rolls once per roll.

Robot Drone: Look at an Unknown Circumstances token before attempting to resolve it.

Resilient: May re-roll one die on Arrest rolls.

Vice Squad: The officer has a Vice Squad token which can be used once per game to automatically arrest three street punks. The officer does not get a donut for the arrests, and the murderer cannot be arrested this way.

Useful tip: Spend a donut to discard an additional blank card when drawing from an Evidence deck.

Press Conference: The officer has a PR token which can be spent to move the Crime Rate token back one space or to prevent the murder from moving at the end of the turn. The murderer still moves to the indicated hood at the end of the next turn.

Persuasion: May move one Gang Member in a Bad Hood to a different Bad Hood at start of your turn.


Lots of cool ideas here!!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Filippelli
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

HOSTAGE NEGOTIATOR - anytime there is a hostage or kidnapping emergency, this character would have an advantage of achieving success - like using an extra die.

PIT Maneuver Expert - can disable stolen car in a chase he/she if ends their move turn in same street space as the stolen car approaching from behind.

This one may be a stretch, but since we have special units like K-9 and Motorcycle units on deck, how about a Mounted unit that could help disperse riots (maybe that would be better as a police card instead)?

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPat...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
great ideas!!!

I love the mounted idea!

Not sure why, but none of us have talked about them ever.

Till now that is!

I was in Boston a few years back and we were talking to a mounted officer and he told us that they were getting rid of their unit.

very sad!

I live in Denver and we still have one.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Filippelli
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mounties are bad-ass. They are very intimidating when standing next to one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dootsman2002 wrote:
Mounties are bad-ass. They are very intimidating when standing next to one.


Mounties and K9 Units are BOTH soooooooooo....

Awesome!!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

We gotta get them into the game for sure.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
QUICK LEARNER:

You are able to earn unlimited upgrades up to a Level Five without going back to the station and it does not cost you an action, BUT all your upgrades cost as follows:

Level 2 = One Donut
Level 3 = One Donut plus One Police Card
Level 4 = 2 Donuts or 5 Police Cards
Level 5 = 2 Donut plus 2 Police Cards

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.