Subject: Morelli developments on BoardSpace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm delighted to say that Dave Dyer - to whom multitudinous thanks as ever - has now made it possible for players to choose their starting set-up. What's more, he's added a nice new pattern with alternating blocks, making four set-ups in all - so twelve different options, given that there's also a choice of three board sizes. It's becoming very clear from the BoardSpace experience that Morelli works extremely well on pretty much any set-up, though the specific technical demands upon the player vary accordingly.

And while I'm at the keyboard, it's been interesting to note, in following Russ Williams's game-a-day-throughout-July series, that it hasn't yet produced a draw. I'm entirely with Christian Freeling on this one (a hard-fought draw can be as tense and fulfilling a game as any victory, and I like that possibility to be present in the range of available outcomes), but the incidence at Morelli is pleasingly low, and we still await the first report of a draw on 13x13 with any starting formation. Should one occur, please do make it known.

Thanks again, Dave!

(Edit): Frinfo, I should add that the four set-ups are: Facing, Adjacent, Random, and the new alternating blocks (this last based, btw, on a suggestion by Kaffedrake). Moreover, because one of the four patterns is thrown at you at random, with an option to switch to any of the others, you can still subject yourself to an imposed challenge by accepting the default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Continued success, Richard. Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
tckoppang wrote:
Continued success, Richard. Well done.

Thanks, Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The word translated to "the sound of a thrown bucket hitting
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried out the new setup on 11x11, but Dumbot seems a bit pants... he'd make a move, I'd capture, and this went on until he had two pieces left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Kaffedrake wrote:
I tried out the new setup on 11x11, but Dumbot seems a bit pants... he'd make a move, I'd capture, and this went on until he had two pieces left.

Hmm. Weird. I just this minute tried it twice myself. First time I played as normal - i.e. I left the middle to him and tried to prepare the outer board for later - but he was very sharp and I eventually had to resign for lack of presence in one quadrant. Then I tried again, just competing fairly randomly in the middle with no thought other than making captures - I soon got the worst of that one too. So I don't know what to make of your experience. I'll email DD to see what he thinks.

Glad I took the precaution of unranking the room, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Gowell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:

Try smart bot when playing 11x11 or 13x13. It's a decidedly stiffer challenge. I've run into precisely the scenario you describe against dumbot multiple times, but not against smart bot (at least on 11x11).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My crystal ball is cloudy. It's always useful if you cite the
particular game you're talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.