Subject: Thoughts/help - people using my email to start free accounts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a very old yahoo account going back to 1998, when web-based email was a new thing. It's a spam-infested pit nowadays, so I only use it for registering free accounts and the like.

A couple of times, dinks* have started free accounts USING MY EMAIL ADDRESS. Some dink allegedly in the Philippines started a Twitter account (I changed the password - hey the email came to ME - and deleted it as soon as permitted), and somebody else an Instagram account (I also deleted it). Today, some dude in Chester, England (a nice town I visited but I don't live there) using a name that is nothing like my name has started a couple of computer gaming accounts (one with Sony, the other with EA) again using my email.

Now of course I don't click anything in these emails; I checked out the urls and Sony and EA are (of course) legit. But I won't click the 'activate your account' button for this idiot. And it sounds like it takes an act of Congress Parliament to delete either account!

So my questions: has anybody else experienced this? I presume my refusal to click the 'activate' button means this idiot is not going to be able to use his Sony or EA account? Any other thoughts?

*morons, hosers, jerks, fools, ******s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I have no idea. I haven't logged into my Yahoo email account is say 6-7 years. I'm sure it's being used for all kinds of nefarious things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I have no idea. I haven't logged into my Yahoo email account is say 6-7 years. I'm sure it's being used for all kinds of nefarious things.

If you haven't logged in for that long, it has probably been deleted and the account name made available again. Mine is active, I use it for all sorts of junk accounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem (haven't looked at it in years) but I fear the future of the internet will not be favorable to anyone.

I just read an article today in Time where there are companies set up to discover bugs in software and then sell them to nearly anyone who can pay.

Good luck to us all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

... it has probably been deleted ....

God I hope so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I am almost 100% certain a yahoo account cannot be deleted.

You are correct. Mine is still there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get this sometimes. The current one is a bloke in Canada. He ordered some vinyl signage and I kept getting the order confirmation. I told the firm and they cancelled it. A couple of days later, same thing. I have the bloke's name, address and if I bothered, I might get more. I think he's also on Supplement King because I'm getting a load of crap from them.

Last year, somebody bought cinema tickets. I got the email and freaked out because I thought they'd used my details to order. But no, it's just some idiots don't know their own email address. It's not malicious, it's just people putting in what they think is their email and it's not, it's mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I get this sometimes. The current one is a bloke in Canada. He ordered some vinyl signage and I kept getting the order confirmation. I told the firm and they cancelled it. A couple of days later, same thing. I have the bloke's name, address and if I bothered, I might get more. I think he's also on Supplement King because I'm getting a load of crap from them.

Last year, somebody bought cinema tickets. I got the email and freaked out because I thought they'd used my details to order. But no, it's just some idiots don't know their own email address. It's not malicious, it's just people putting in what they think is their email and it's not, it's mine.

Send the RCMP after him/her. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
I am almost 100% certain a yahoo account cannot be deleted.

You are correct. Mine is still there.

I have several yahoo accounts; one is one I keep just in case I need it one day. They didn't DELETE it, but de-activated it, and would've deleted it if I hadn't taken some action.

As Yahoo itself says...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell,
I have this problem all the time, however, mine are only pseudo-random... they are all people with my same first and last name who can't seem to realize that they didn't get the one account on a popular internet email service without added numbers etc at the end of their name (Cause I got it first a looong long time ago).

It is distressing to realize how many people with my name get this wrong, and how many of them have sent to me their bills, receipts, gas card and mechanic's charges, private business proposals, etc. I do try to straighten some of them out, and try to unsubscribe from the rest, but a few I am unable to stop....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Taylor
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:
Wendell,
I have this problem all the time, however, mine are only pseudo-random... they are all people with my same first and last name who can't seem to realize that they didn't get the one account on a popular internet email service without added numbers etc at the end of their name (Cause I got it first a looong long time ago).

It is distressing to realize how many people with my name get this wrong, and how many of them have sent to me their bills, receipts, gas card and mechanic's charges, private business proposals, etc. I do try to straighten some of them out, and try to unsubscribe from the rest, but a few I am unable to stop....

I completely agree!

When outlook.com addresses came out recently, I pounced on my full name's address without any fillers. I thought it was a great thing but I have been getting recently people's cable TV activations and assorted things.

The worst thing is that someone signed up for an adult cam site using my address. My e-mail now has been "found" by the adult junk bots and now my junk folder fills up with dating sites and adult-oriented invitations. It drives me bonkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nevets1231 wrote:
peapicker wrote:
Wendell,

I completely agree!

When outlook.com addresses came out recently, I pounced on my full name's address without any fillers. I thought it was a great thing but I have been getting recently people's cable TV activations and assorted things.

The worst thing is that someone signed up for an adult cam site using my address. My e-mail now has been "found" by the adult junk bots and now my junk folder fills up with dating sites and adult-oriented invitations. It drives me bonkers.

That would be annoying.

Funny thing is, my email address doesn't resemble my name at all (and my name is a rare enough one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel for ya!

This happens to me on a near daily basis (yup I got one of those simple accounts from a big email provider with no special characters or numbers).

Not only do people sign-up for services and accounts and buy things with my email, but they also give my email to all their friends and family and organizations. I've been included in church group emails, sports leagues, school announcements, political/social organizations. I get bills. I get announcements. I get work offers. I get invites to parties. I get apologies. I have one family that invited me to their reunion 4 years in a row even after I responded the first year that although I wasn't related they seemed like a wonderful family and that I would love to come! shake

As far as getting signed up for things. I'm disappointed that in 2014 that few websites have a opt-in/verification email system (the click-here-to-verify email). I would never in a million years consider doing the (actually somewhat illegal) step of signing in to a site that doesn't use the email verification step and change the email address, change the password, change the email frequency settings, or delete the account option. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten my spam filter working pretty well on yahoo. It doesn't seem too bad now, maybe two or three a week, but it does come in waves.

The worst that we had was while we were in a dispute with an eBay seller, we started getting a lot of email magazines, offers, etc. We can't prove that she signed us up, but it seemed very coincidental for it to have not been connected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to my email address all the time. People sign up for stuff and it comes to me instead. If the account requires activation, I never do it. But if it's one of those welcome emails, I immediately go to the site, reset the password and then leave. The great part about it is they can't use the account and can't create another account with my address because that one already exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought email@test.com was such a cool email address when I first got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.