1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New to games.....ready for more rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Damato
msg tools
Hi all,
I am relatively new to games, so I am looking for some recommendations from experienced players.
A little background, I usually play with my family/relatives, ages range from teens to seniors. We usually have a group of six playing, but that number will change by the allowable players for the game itself (six players is preferable).
We recently got into playing some really fun games (different from Monopoly, Sorry, etc.).
So far our collection has Coup, Bang!, Samurai Sword, Carcassonne Big Box, Munchkin, and Love Letter.
We are looking for any suggestions. What have you really enjoyed playing? Anything we should stay away from?
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankadam

Games you should stay away from: Munchk... Never mind (this one tends of be a bit of a love hate game).

How long would you like games to last?
Do you want to work cooperatively together or competitively against one another?

Suggestions:

Alhambra - Really simple mechanics in this well respected game that can be very exciting.

Ticket to Ride - Only sits 5. Smashing family game that's simple to pick up and fun to play. Worth saying that Ticket to Ride: Europe adds a couple rules and makes the game less cutthroat.

Dixit - Wonderful party game. Sits 6 out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire
King of Tokyo
Scotland Yard
Jamaica
That's Life!

All play 6 and are good for family gaming.

Diamant plays up to 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2019
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam - It looks like you are playing games that are generally lighter weight (fewer and simpler rules). These types of games are often best for large groups (6+ people) and mixed age groups. A few other games that work for 6 players and fit this style of game that you may like if you like what you've played already are (my opinion on best player count is in parenthesis)...

- Ca$h 'n Gun$ (6)
- Diamant (5-8)
- For Sale (4-6)
- Saboteur (5-8)
- King of Tokyo (4-6)
- Bohnanza (5-7)
- The Resistance (7-10)

In my opinion, the games that are usually more strategic and have more rules are best with 3, 4 or 5 players. If we have 6 players, we often split into two groups of 3 to play these kinds of games. Here are a few of our favorite medium-to-light weight euro games with the best player count (opinion) in parenthesis...

- Dominion (2-3)
- Pandemic (2-4)
- Stone Age (3-4)
- Ra (3-4)
- Acquire (4)
- Ticket to Ride (4-5)
- Santiago (5)
- Medici (5-6)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep plus the Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport expansion plays 6 quite well.

maybe RoboRally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tip:

If you think you might like Scotland Yard and don't need a brand new copy, post Scotland Yard as your item to this geeklist:

Thrifting for You! - 2014 Edition

Currently I don't have a spare copy but I've found and given away multiple copies over the years. Maybe someone else has a copy they will give you.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2019
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frogspawn wrote:
Anything we should stay away from?

This is an excellent question. I've noticed that experienced board gamers often recommend games for new players that they think are simple, but people new to the hobby see as complex. Keep that in mind as you look through the suggestions. As you probably already know, this website is a phenomenal resource with rulebooks for most games in the Files section of the game page. It's worthwhile to read reviews and check out the rules for the game before you buy it to ensure that you know what you are getting into. For example, Power Grid is one of my favorite games but I would NEVER recommend it to a new gamer, especially with 6 players.

I think the best thing to do is "try before you buy"... that is, play the game first. If there is a game store near you where you can actually play the games with players who know it already, I think it's the best way to find new games and see what works for you.

You can also check the game weight in the Statistics section of a game page, but realize that this data is considered a bit controversial. I think if you're just looking at it to make sure you don't jump in too far all at once then it will probably serve it's purpose. I'd suggest careful review of any game with a 2.5 or higher weight before playing if you don't have a lot of experience with these kinds of games already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance

Alien Frontiers

Kemet

Eldritch Horror

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Mister X is the improved sequel to Scotland Yard. I've played both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play 6 with my cousins and family as well. They really prefer simpler games so here are some suggestions that worked for us.

Fearsome Floors
Citadels
Airlines Europe (Kind of the Ticket for Ride that plays 6 well)
Cosmic Encounter w/expansions (the peak of difficulty, one of my favorites)
King of Tokyo
Lifeboats
Get Bit!
For Sale
Family Business
Survive: Escape from Atlantis w/5-6 player expansion
Incan Gold
Cash & Guns
River Dragons
Bang! The Dice Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! with the Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion & Survive: Escape from Atlantis! Dolphins & Dive Dice Mini Extension is great fun!

If you get the Ticket to Ride Map Pack 1, you can play up to 6 too.

Alien Frontiers is my personal favorite game, it only plays four, and I wouldn't introduce it to my grandparents, but perhaps yours are savvier gamers than mine. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you pick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Qwirkle is one I think is perfect for a large variety of age groups, but only good from 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Nathan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 King of Tokyo
+1 Get Bit
+10 Bohnanza

I'd also check out Hanabi - it only plays up to 5 but it's been a hit with every non-gamer and family member I've introduced it to, it's very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for For Sale - A very fun filler that takes about 20 min. per round. Though we almost never play just one round.

+1 for The Resistance

+1 for Dominion

Cosmic Encounter 3-to-5 out of the box but up to 8 with all 3 of the current 4 soon to be 5 expansions, 3 of them each adding one additional player. This is one of my groups favorite games and there is no downtime for players. I would however recommend watching a video review to see if this is the type of game that will work for your group.

Mansions of Madness 2-to-5, so that might be a deal breaker for you. This game is like playing a mystery horror story. Long set up time, and one vs all type of game. It helps to have the person playing as the board try to make it an enjoyable challanging experience as opposed to just trying to crush the players for some of the scenarios. My group really took to this game.

EDIT = updated the expansions part of the Cosmic Encounter portion of the recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a handful of suggestions here that are really not that appropriate given your request. You would do best by trying any of the following:

Dixit
Hanabi
Splendor
For Sale
Ticket to Ride
Forbidden Desert
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say +1 to Ticket to Ride -- lots of fun. As you get used to it and want to broaden the play, you can add Ticket to Ride Europe or other sets. The 1910 expansion gives you nice big cards and some other nice options for the USA board.

If you like dice and a bit of push your luck, +1 to King of Tokyo This is monsters destroying Tokyo.

For a taste of a cooperative game, +1 to Forbidden Desert -- you have to work together or the sands will bury you! It is a lot of fun.

If you eventually want something a bit more complex that involves some bluffing and deduction (like Love Letter but a bit more in depth), consider +1 to Citadels.

Last, I would also give +1 to Lifeboat -- card game with personalities and a hoot for groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Citadels We've played from 3 to 9 players. It's always a decent game and the role selection each round keeps it varied enough to not tire of it.

Edit: Tsuro of the Seas plays to 8. Easy to learn and play (if you watch a video of how to move the Daikiju). This game doesn't keep my groups interest as well as Citadels but seniors may prefer the lighter strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get Splendor. The rules are simple enough non-gamers can learn and enjoy the game. Yet, the depth of the game is deep enough that seasoned gamers will enjoy it. Play time is short and turns are quick, so you might be tempted to play several games in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
atomheartmother wrote:
Definitely get Splendor. The rules are simple enough non-gamers can learn and enjoy the game. Yet, the depth of the game is deep enough that seasoned gamers will enjoy it. Play time is short and turns are quick, so you might be tempted to play several games in a row.
I equate Splendor to a simplified Dominion. If you like Splendor and want "more game", then Dominion would be a good followup. I actually prefer Splendor over Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like to stick it to one another,Id say go for Survive
King Of Tokyo Seems like it would fit nicely into your collection,and I think it plays well with many different size groups.
Ticket to RideIs another good one,good game play and easy rules,,While I really like I have to be in the mood for it,as I think it can be a bit dry at times,But should be in your collection or at least try it out at sometime.
Another one we just played that I havent played in awhile is TobagoOnly plays 4 people,but I think its a very unique game with a easy rule set.
I also Enjoy Letters From Whitechapelkind of a cat and mouse game,one person moves in secret leaving clues while the rest of the people are cops trying to track you down before you Kill again!

All the games I mentioned are on the lighter side without pages and pages of rules,but still Great Games. I found out when I was getting into games that some are so complicated and come with a book full of rules it really sucks the fun out,Unless your group doesnt mind sitting there and reading and learning to play for sometime before they actually get to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If you guys like munchkin consider cutthroat caverns and it's expansions. It sits 3-6 players and plays in about an hour and a half. It's really what munchkin should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frogspawn wrote:
Hi all,
I am relatively new to games, so I am looking for some recommendations from experienced players.
A little background, I usually play with my family/relatives, ages range from teens to seniors. We usually have a group of six playing, but that number will change by the allowable players for the game itself (six players is preferable).
We recently got into playing some really fun games (different from Monopoly, Sorry, etc.).
So far our collection has Coup, Bang!, Samurai Sword, Carcassonne Big Box, Munchkin, and Love Letter.
We are looking for any suggestions. What have you really enjoyed playing? Anything we should stay away from?
Thank you
Coup was awesome.
Bang! pretty nice.
I totally dind't liked Munchkin but I haven't played a full game of it =P

I'm not sure I should be giving suggestions but I guess Caverna could be one thing to add. Innovation is pretty nice.

Cosmic encounter, Ticket to ride and if anyone have suggested it Lords of Waterdeep would get passes too.

Not Bohnanza =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for fun, lighter games some great suggestions have already been made. +1 for

Bohnanza
DiXit
Survive
Cosmic Encounter (but the chaos and ability of alien powers to alter/create rules can be overwhelming for new players)

I would also +1 Citadels and Alhambra but would not characterize these games as fun in the same way as the previous 4. Good games with high replayability nonetheless. However, if your opt for Alahambra I would recommend Alhambra: Big Box - better value than just buying the base game. Or have a look at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/everything-a...

This is a fun, lightish semi-coop game, with beautiful components, high replayability, and good player interaction for 3 to 6 players.

Good reviews of Isla Dorada
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/3846/isla-dorada/drakkens...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108184/isla-dorada-deta...

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to try coops, Flash Point: Fire Rescue will play 6 and would be a great choice.
Castle Panic is another good option. Although I'd also recommend getting the expansion, Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower. The base game alone is just too easy. We never lost until we got the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Damato
msg tools
WOW!...Thank you all for putting together an awesome list, I really appreciate it.

I am still in the process of looking these suggestions up (there is a whole new world of gaming beyond what I thought existed). So far I think The Resistance and King of Tokyo would be perfect for our group. A friend of mine will be bringing Survive and Dixit by for a game night too.

There are a ton of games being suggested here that I know I will love, hopefully the rest of the group will follow suit

Did anyone else's XBox start to get dusty when they discovered life beyond Monopoly? haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.