Subject: Quick de-cloak clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I'm just looking for a quick de-cloak question/clarification.
I'm assuming that de-cloak works much the same as a barrel roll, in that:

1) You declare the de-cloak
2) Choose a direction
2a) When using Echo, choose the primary direction, and also the secondary direction because of the bank template being used
3) Place the template in the chosen direction(s), de-cloaking if the ship fits
4) If the declared direction isn't legal, another direction to de-cloak may be chosen, or a completely different action may be chosen.

My question is can measuring occur when de-cloaking, with an optimum direction ultimately being chosen? I'm probably not that picky about this, but with the potential for phantom use by a lot of players this could be a sticking point for some.

Kevin
PS: Edited based on CB's input, and also to add the effect of Echo's ability. And yep, I was looking for input based more for a tournament setting as opposed to casual play. We've got one coming up this weekend in our area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Quick decloak clarification
All based on competitive rules:

Your (4) is wrong, but otherwise you're dead on.

If you can't fit, you're free to choose not to decloak at all. Or, in the case of a barrel roll, pick another action.

But you pick a direction, and if any possible position for the move in that direction lets you fit, you have to complete it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buhallin wrote:
All based on competitive rules:

Your (4) is wrong, but otherwise you're dead on.

If you can't fit, you're free to choose not to decloak at all. Or, in the case of a barrel roll, pick another action.

But you pick a direction, and if any possible position for the move in that direction lets you fit, you have to complete it.
Is this noted in the FAQ somewhere? It came up the other night. I wanted to barrel roll one direction but didn't want to risk it not being possible and being forced to roll in the other direction.

Edit: Here it is...
Quote:
When performing a barrel roll, a player must first declare from which side of the ship’s base the action will be performed. Then, he measures to see if the ship is able to perform a barrel roll action from any legal area on the declared side. If the ship can perform the barrel roll action, it must do so. If the ship cannot perform the barrel roll action, the player may declare a barrel roll in the other direction, or he may declare a different action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
So this just hit me. You actually have to pick which side you are going for before you measure with your template? I think I will be enforcing this a lot more at regionals this weekend. Some people take so damn long because they are measuring which of the 6 directions to go with "Echo" it's going to eat into 60 minute games a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the FAQ isn't explicit about this yet. But I would be very surprised if it would be ruled any different from the barrel roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
killerardvark wrote:
So this just hit me. You actually have to pick which side you are going for before you measure with your template? I think I will be enforcing this a lot more at regionals this weekend. Some people take so damn long because they are measuring which of the 6 directions to go with "Echo" it's going to eat into 60 minute games a lot.

We talked about this tonight at one of our local venues, and we believe you do. We think a de-cloak works exactly the same as a barrel roll or boost. There's no measuring allowed other than sliding the template along the side chosen. Obviously in Echo's case you're also choosing which direction the "curve" faces.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

We talked about this tonight at one of our local venues, and we believe you do. We think a de-cloak works exactly the same as a barrel roll or boost. There's no measuring allowed other than sliding the template along the side chosen. Obviously in Echo's case you're also choosing which direction the "curve" faces.

Kevin

Indeed, the Decloak card explicitly says to "perform a barrel roll." So the side-to-side movements are clearly covered under the FAQ, which governs how one does the barrel roll.

The other option is to perform a 2-straight manoeuvre, and while that is not so specifically covered under the barrel roll FAQ, nor the boost (since it doesn't say boost), my response to anyone who wanted to treat it otherwise would be "well, fine, it's a manouevre, not a boost - which means now that you've put the template down, you're stuck with it. Manoeuvres can't be measured before they're committed to. So sorry you don't fit, guess you can't decloak.")

I'm less sure about Echo, and whether I'd let someone flip the template over. Clearly they're stuck with the left/right/forward choice, but the curve? I guess it'd depend on how annoying they were being (in terms of table etiquette, not in terms of "you're kicking my ass!"). (But a good player should all ready know where they're going to decloak too, since they have to make it work with their planned move.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you choose the forward manoeuvre when decloacking you can always fit, resolve collisions if any, as normal as per the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
if you choose the forward manoeuvre when decloacking you can always fit, resolve collisions if any, as normal as per the rules.

Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.