Subject: Vietnamization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Willis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reinforcement schedule on the year track specifies the removal of US Infantry units in 69, 70 and 71.

The rulebook says to remove US units "first from the dead pool and then from the map." Further, the rules say that "all US infantry and assets are eligible."

If I have US asset units in the dead pool, do I HAVE TO remove those from play instead of infantry to satisfy the Vietnamization unit requirement from the reinforcement schedule because they are in the dead pool already, or can I re-deploy the assets if I take infantry off the map instead?

In other words - what is Blue's specific level of unit choice here? I just couldn't find anything on this issue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
nwillis wrote:
The reinforcement schedule on the year track specifies the removal of US Infantry units in 69, 70 and 71.

The rulebook says to remove US units "first from the dead pool and then from the map." Further, the rules say that "all US infantry and assets are eligible."

If I have US asset units in the dead pool, do I HAVE TO remove those from play instead of infantry to satisfy the Vietnamization unit requirement from the reinforcement schedule because they are in the dead pool already, or can I re-deploy the assets if I take infantry off the map instead?

In other words - what is Blue's specific level of unit choice here? I just couldn't find anything on this issue...

I believe that the two sentences in your second paragraph define your level of choice when taken together. If you have units (assets or infantry) in the dead pool you must remove them before removing units (assets or infantry) from the map. Within those bounds, the choice is yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Willis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question, then, is why the reinforcement schedule would specifically indicate INFANTRY units to be removed in 69, 70 and 71, as opposed to just saying "any 6 US units." It is this aspect that makes me question the issue...for the rulebook could still be technically correct when saying all US assets are eligible, because the 1972 guidance from the reinforcement schedule simply says "remove all" for that year...and specifies to leave the bombers...

Could it be that the required INFANTRY units are to be first removed from the dead pool (if there happen to be US Infantry units there) and then from the map to satisfy the withdrawl requirement, while assets could be redeployed if taken as Blue losses during this period?

There are a variety of reasons why this could be significant and it appears to be open to interpretation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be any infantry or asset, not just infantry. Where does it say infantry specifically? I couldn't find that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Willis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reinforcement schedule (printed right on the second edition map) specifies that the US "Remove 2 Inf" in 1969, "Remove 6 Inf" in 1970, "Remove 6 Inf" in 1971...then in 1972 it says to "Remove all" but "keep bombers."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"inf" is an abbreviation for "any unit." whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.