Hide
8 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Blob too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Salwitz
msg tools
I played two 4-player games in a row of this and the players that used Blob were pounding everyone els. I know all the factions are balanced, but if a player plays 3 Blobs in one turn, forget it, thers half your health. Is the Blob a bit OP? They should maybe be a lower attack as the normal effect and a higher attack for the second attack...not 2 giant attacks per Blob card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Blob have the highest attack values for the money, but they don't thin your deck (red), don't give card advantage (yellow), and don't give income/health boosts (blue). If you lower Blob attack values, then they become the same as yellow but without card draw/discard. Blob are fine. If they seem OP, it's because the opponents of Blob in your games don't know what to do about a fast Blob deck yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that on the surface the Blob cards seem to be very powerful based on their attack values. And I suppose if a lot of Blob cards come out early and get bought up by other players it might lead to a quick victory.

However, I've played about 30 games so far, and I've found that I just need to focus on a faction or card type that would effectively counter Blob cards (i.e. outposts) as well as cards that work well together and I can usually at least get close to winning if not pull off a victory.

It just requires paying attention to what other players are buying as well as to know the different factions, which cards will work best for you, and which will work best against the other players.

One great thing about the game is that since a game can end in less than 20 minutes there's plenty of opportunities for multiple games in a single session where you can try different strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that they don't seem to be OP but I just had a great game using them. I got two Rams early along with a base (Don't remember the name. Its the one that gives you 3 attack.) I got lucky enough to have the 2 Rams come out together twice and the game was over in about six turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jones
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played about 40 games and tried many different strategies. One friend I play with alot prefers Blob where as I have maybe gone heavy Bob 5 times. When we first started playing he won most games using Bob. Then I found for me a very small very fast deck works great. A red and blue combo deck is what I have found has the highest win ratio at least for our games. Yellow I have found to be the hardest to use but if you get it right they are very powerful. Play some more games and you will see things start balancing out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
underworldthug wrote:
I played two 4-player games in a row of this and the players that used Blob were pounding everyone els.

I prefer the 2 player version and I think Blob are fine. I actually would have though Blob would be worse in a 4 player game as it's attack centric.

When you attack another player in a 4er you're only improving your position relative to that 1 player. When you gain prestige/gold you're improving your position relative to all other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
Quote:
Blob have the highest attack values for the money, but they don't thin your deck (red), don't give card advantage (yellow), and don't give income/health boosts (blue).

I beg to differ: Blobs do give card advantage. Not as much as yellow since they lack discard, but their draw power can be nearly as strong depending on what pops up in the trade row. Neither red nor blue have self-replacing cards in early game, whereas the Blob do, and in the late game the Mothership offers as much CA, practically speaking, as the Command Ship, at a lower cost.

The Blobs' main weakness, IMO, is that they don't combo well with the other factions - most damningly, red - even if you get lucky with a needle or the outpost that combos with all factions. So you really have to pile your deck full of blobs to offset those awful scouts and vipers. Thematic, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about too powerful, but I do believe they are the strongest faction and the easiest to win with if everyone tries to focus in on one faction. Best strategy is still to play to what's available and what fits best with what you got, all the while taking into consideration what your opponent is doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.