Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2 games of Battlelore 2nd Ed. tonight. I was the Daqan for both. The Uthuk scenario in the first game was Veil of Secrets, which awards lore instead of VP for holding the center town, but then you can spend lore to gain 1 VP every time you eliminate an enemy unit. That alone makes it really tough for the Uthuk, as all of our games have been decided by VPs, rather than wiping out the opponent, especially for the Uthuk, as the Daqan have so many defensive lore cards that it's tough to exterminate them. The Daqan scenario was Mustering the Militia, which makes Citadel Guard cheaper and gives 1 VP for every 2 town hexes held by the Daqan. It's basically the perfect scenario for the Daqan, with their durable troops holding position in spaces that already let the occupiers take -1 damage. I camped out in two towns with both units of Rune Golems and eventually held two more with Guard and crushed my opponent, 16-7; our biggest win margin ever. The Uthuk left both the Chaos Lord and the Obscenes at home and tried a horde of Viper Legion, but I think that was a poor choice for the scenario, if not in general, as Viper Legion are a support unit, not a killer.

Second game, the Uthuk had Howling Giant Hills which gives Viper Legion +1 range and lets them ignore one hex of blocking terrain. They score 1 VP for holding more hills than the Daqan. The latter had 3 bridge tokens and the Daqan could gain a VP by having a unit on a bridge. The mass of terrain in the center is kind of a clusterfuck, so if you position properly, it's easy to pick up that one point without too much threat. So, it was going to be a longer game, since we were both reliant on the VP spaces and only 1 point more. I tried using a couple units of Riverwatch Riders to run around the edges and harry things while the Roc and some Guard and Golems sat in the center, alternating on a bridge spot. My opponent brought the Chaos Lord and the Obscenes and tried to be aggressive with them, but the Lord got stuck running around town spaces that he can't enter and we both got screwed by the Command deck. I tossed a card to activate a single unit 3 times in the late turns, as I kept drawing things like Cavalry Charge after my Riders were dead and Clash of Steel, which meant I had to be adjacent to the enemy before moving. We were both gaining 2 points a turn in perfect sync, so I tried to knock him off a couple hills on the right and see if I could interrupt the pace, but inconvenient routs sent him back on to hills a couple times and he was up 16-14 and I expected that we'd go a couple more turns until someone broke the circuit. But he had gotten me off my VP spot on the left and I discarded a card to move the Roc, eliminated a weakened Flesh Ripper unit, played Plunder to gain 3 lore, and used 2 of them to play Defend the Realm for 1 VP for eliminating a unit on my side of the board. I used the Roc's mobility to move on to the VP spot and won, 17-16.

It's really a great game. I'm really hoping that the utter absence of news since its release means that one of the big announcements at Gen Con is for the expansion with the Latari and Waiqar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
It sounds like Uthuk may have taken that second game... only one lore card can be played per turn, so the Plunder + D.t.R combo wouldn't have played out quite that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. As it was an illegal move the Uthuk should have won this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.