Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine I, like most people here want to believe that this return to TV will become reality:

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/07/24/x-files-reboot/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: X-Files TV Reboot Rumors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*slow clap @ David Anderson*

Which in itself is weird! David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

No relation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would enthusiastically welcome the series back -- it remains one of my all-time favorites. No TV series since has captured my attention like the X-Files.

But the new series would have to stay true to the original concept, i.e. great individual stand-alone stories combined with the impending-alien-invasion plot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an old time lover of this series, watched it back in 93 until season 7 - only last week I finally started watching season 8 and actually really enjoying it - a Reboot would be fantastic especially if the original cast were on-board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a reboot or follow-on series, perhaps with Mulder acting as a mentor to a new generation.

Whatever they do I hope they work out the background alien arc in a less contrived fashion to the 'making-it-up-as-we-go' way it was originally done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that would give me a deadline for finally finishing the series. My wife and I started watching maybe 5ish years ago, and we are halfway through season 7 now (yep, we're taking it slowly). I don't think there's any other show that I've stuck with for so many seasons (nor any other show that has made it onto my avatar ), so obviously I think they did something right.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: more more more, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a hardcore xphile, but reboots (in movies and in TV) are never a good idea. We need imagination for new ideas, not stifled rehashing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, Season 10 is being released currently in comic book form and has been declared canon by Chris Carter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
I'm a hardcore xphile, but reboots (in movies and in TV) are never a good idea. We need imagination for new ideas, not stifled rehashing.

Perhaps 'reboot' is the wrong word, "a return to the X-files 'verse" might be a better descriptor given the context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm still waiting for the supposed 3rd movie that dealt with alien invasion.

I always preferred Star Trek original, but ST:TNG and the other shows weren't terrible terrible and shows what you can do.

Also, I imagine Supernatural is winding up so there will be a hole in the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
O and they totally should have done "Lone Gunman Club" show as serious not silly. The official pilot (plane into twin towers before 9/11) is a pretty good episode, the rest are so so and they never really handled LGC properly after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
snarfel wrote:
loquitur wrote:

Perhaps 'reboot' is the wrong word, "a return to the X-files 'verse" might be a better descriptor given the context.

I'm okay with that. But not a reboot. And movie #3 is what I'm holding out for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Reubens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Since they have to sort of deal with the 2012 final invasion stuff it might be cool to have that aspect of the show told through flashbacks and glimpses while new plots are introduced to viewers. Lost (for all of it's good and bad...) showed how great telling two stories at once can be done. If done correctly, this could be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Calka
United States
Holland
OTTAWA-MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As strange as it will be for someone with my handle to say this... I really hope that this doesn't happen. While I would love to see more shows LIKE x-files come into being (Fringe hit that spot for me), I would hate to see a reboot or continuation. I feel like we would ask for X-files and get CSI: Aliens instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xphile wrote:
As strange as it will be for someone with my handle to say this... I really hope that this doesn't happen. While I would love to see more shows LIKE x-files come into being (Fringe hit that spot for me), I would hate to see a reboot or continuation. I feel like we would ask for X-files and get CSI: Aliens instead.

I understand peoples apprehension regarding a reboot/continuation of the X-files, but at the end of the day they simply do not have to watch it, for those who want it, like myself I am absolutely excited - then again I really enjoyed season 8-9 and the movie IWTB so perhaps I am easily entertained

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
locherbread wrote:
Xphile wrote:

I understand peoples apprehension regarding a reboot/continuation of the X-files, but at the end of the day they simply do not have to watch it, for those who want it, like myself I am absolutely excited - then again I really enjoyed season 8-9 and the movie IWTB so perhaps I am easily entertained

But the money that goes into a soulless reboot is the money not going to a new innovative show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
locherbread wrote:
Xphile wrote:

But the money that goes into a soulless reboot is the money not going to a new innovative show.

Who's to say the new project would be soulless, I may be in the minority but even series 9 had some strong elements. I believe if they could get Frank Spotnizt and Vince Gilligan onboard we could look forward to some new X-Files material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch the new series by Chris Carter on amazon "The After" it will satisfy it. It will be coming out with more episodes next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Sapien
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I would welcome the X-Files back to TV wholeheartedly. For me, no other show has captured the same vibe. Some have come close, though, like Supernatural and Fringe.

locherbread wrote:

I enjoyed seasons 8 and 9, too, although the mythology got super convoluted. Hopefully that's something that gets smoothed out if the show returns. I embraced Doggett and Reyes as new characters but I guess most people didn't. Maybe the fan base was just too attached to Mulder and Scully and couldn't let go. It's a shame, as I thought the show had some legs left in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Watch the new series by Chris Carter on amazon "The After" it will satisfy it. It will be coming out with more episodes next year.

You're the first person I've heard say good things about it. My sense was that the pilot was almost universally panned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fringe got too silly too quickly :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Doguet
France
SAINT SYLVAIN
SEINE MARITIME
flag msg tools
Unaware... Really ?
badge
In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night !
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here are my two cents about this item of news :

- A reboot ? Please, please, NO ! I don't want to watch the "same" series with new actors, with lots of "wink-winks" to the previous "X-Files" version. Let's be logical : we have to assume that, at some point, this new series would drift away to prevent it from being a simple copy of the old one, and that might be dangerous, for what then could we expect this reboot show to turn into ?

- A return of "X-Files" on TV with the same creator and actors ? Hmmm... I don't know if it would be that exciting. We tend to live with nice memories of the past and, with this revival, some of us may be happy, some of us may get disappointed, and I really don't want to fall into the second category. ..

- A third "X-Files" movie ? Yep, that's the one I was waiting for : a movie showing a rock-solid script that would resume where the 9th season had left - not some "big-screen" stand-alone story like the 2nd film.

I hate reboots and I have had my share of disappointment with revivals, so how about a REALLY good movie ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
alandric wrote:

You're the first person I've heard say good things about it. My sense was that the pilot was almost universally panned.

It was basically just the last 5 minutes that got everyone hooked as a teaser for what's to come had it been funded. So looking forward to what it "could" be and hope it doesn't stink!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.