Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Weisberg
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

So I already own 51st State, and I'm not exactly on board with the idea of spending 20 more dollars (assuming I can sell my 51st state copy for about 20 bucks) to add some new cards and player interaction (which I really want, player interaction, I'm just not sure if I want to spend more money for what could be just a minor expansion). Do I have any other options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play 51 with both New Era and Winter rules.
It shoul be easy to calculate range even on the 51 cards. Is that an option for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends how much you like 51st State. I love 51st State and ended up printing, cutting and pasting on each of my 51st State cards all of the defensive distance symbols that were missing in 51st State and then I sleeved the cards.

Otherwise New Era is a standalone game and can be played separately.

As for player interaction, New Era doesn't really 'fix' it all that much, even with the option to attack other players, it plays very small role in the game. You're not missing much, though New Era is a more polished game than 51st State.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the option to destroy or cooperate with my opponent is a great addition. If they develop their tableau faster then me I can just attack or cooperate with the cards I need. This is fixed even further by the addition of the Frozen City in Winter. It can be added without buying the game and the rules can be found online.

Defensive distance is distance + 2, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Dembowski
Poland
Wroclaw
none
flag msg tools
"Defensive distance is distance + 2, if I remember correctly."

Nope, it's based on card type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Weisberg
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, yeah, I just didn't know if there was some sort of upgrade pack that I didn't know about. Is there some sort of fan made conversion? I really wish they would like release the extra cards, even as PnP, and like conversion stickers or something, much like Eminent domain. I'm not really sure what to do, since it seems I'm kinda stuck if I want to get the benefit of the New Era

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your not stuck at all.
It's eay to convert 51 into new era and winter. Just read the rules and you will notice the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Well, it depends how much you like 51st State. I love 51st State and ended up printing, cutting and pasting on each of my 51st State cards all of the defensive distance symbols that were missing in 51st State and then I sleeved the cards.

Same here, but do not forget to remove double cards. Just cut and paste defense distance icons with snagit or similar tool. Print on labeling paper and paste on cards.

I do play 51st with New Era, Winter, Ruins and The Hub. More interaction the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
millenium_baby wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

Same here, but do not forget to remove double cards. Just cut and paste defense distance icons with snagit or similar tool. Print on labeling paper and paste on cards.

I do play 51st with New Era, Winter, Ruins and The Hub. More interaction the better.

So I thought I finally had everything, but what is "The Hub"? I can't find any other reference to this so I'm hoping it's just another name for something I already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Do you wanna play a game?
badge
We are all prisoners inside the cage of our own flesh.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
So I thought I finally had everything, but what is "The Hub"? I can't find any other reference to this so I'm hoping it's just another name for something I already have.

It's an unofficial expansion. (thread, file)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Neat - thanks! Looks like I can probably avoid it since one of the things we like about 51st State is that it's highly restrictive but I still really appreciate the care that went into creating that expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.