United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Esteemed BGG member Ronald Fajarit recently posted in a thread something I had forgotten. That in The General Magazine Avalon Hill would occasionally publish a list of it's top 20 all time best selling games. He was kind enough to share this list from The General volume 27.2 which was the final time the list was published in the magazine. The list ran with the following header.

"Titles are place on the All-Time list only after having sold in excess of 100,000 copies while under the Avalon Hill Banner."

Yeah. Figure all of these titles listed below have more copies floating around or in land fills than there are copies of Twilight Struggle.

That aside I had to laugh seeing Outdoor Survival being listed as the all time best selling game in Avalon Hill's history. It was a fact I had forgotten from my days when I subscribed to The General although it shouldn't be a surprise when you think about it. There has to be a copy of Outdoor Survival in every friggin thrift store in the country. It's like there's a law that they have to have a copy to be able to be a thrift store.

So I was thinking. Despite the fact that Outdoor Survival is the top selling game of all time for Avalon Hill I doubt many wargemrs today have ever actually played it. I have...twice! We all died the first time but the second game I managed to make it to a stream and survived while everyone else died. We never played again.

Which brings me round about to the actual point of this thread which is this. How many of the top selling Avalon Hill games of all time have you actually played and which games today have been played by the most people. Thus here is the top 20 games list in order and the poll.

Poll
Which of these games from the list of all time best selling games of Avalon Hill have you played at least once?
  Yes No
Outdoor Survival
Facts in Five
Panzerblitz
Squad Leader
Third Reich
Panzer Leader
Tactics II
Luftwaffe
Statis-Pro Baseball
Blitzkreig
Acquire
Football Strategy
Diplomacy
Paydirt
Midway
D-Day
Afrika Korps
Wizard's Quest
War at Sea
Feudal
      605 answers
Poll created by mrbeankc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played every single game on this list, but I'm pretty sure I played Feudal most of all, so that's my vote.

Edit: misunderstood the question, so updated my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I've played 5, but the copy of Diplomacy I played wasn't an Avalon Hill published one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but the copy of Diplomacy I played wasn't an Avalon Hill published one

ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Williams
United Kingdom
West Bromwich
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stuarttigger wrote:
Quote:

ditto.

Me too. I don't suppose it's a complete accident that all three of us are British and the Gibson's version was cheaper and more widely available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The claim is interesting. There is a reasonable chance (world wide) that 100K copies of these games have been printed and sold to distributors of various types. I think AH treated their business as more of a book publishing effort than a game store. For example, KB Toy & Hobby would often have very large quantities of these games marked down to $4.Scored backup copies of Dune that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have nightmares about Third Reich.

Nearly put me off Wargaming as soon as I started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bartoo
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'v played 15 of those games, and of those 15, my most played would be Paydirt. We wore the numbers off a set of dice, played two complete seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seacook wrote:
stuarttigger wrote:
Quote:

ditto.

Me too. I don't suppose it's a complete accident that all three of us are British and the Gibson's version was cheaper and more widely available.

Whereas I played Diplomacy on the AH edition, but Feudel on the 3M edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
RandomLetters wrote:
I'v played 15 of those games, and of those 15, my most played would be Paydirt. We wore the numbers off a set of dice, played two complete seasons.

Paydirt is also my most played. Back in the mid-eighties when I had time on my hands, no regular opponent, and programming in BASIC was easy, I devised a simple programme to play against. I played a whole San Diego Chargers season ('78?) and tweaked the programme as I went along to reflect my play calling tendencies. By the end of the season the computer was gratifyingly tough to beat.

Paydirt is among six games on this list that I have definitely played. I recall playing something called Outdoor Survival by mail, but I'm not sure how close a relationship it bore to the boardgame, so I haven't said yes to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought I read somewhere that Outdoor Survival became one of the top selling games because the map board was used so much by early D&D gamers.

I only played it through VASSAL because I wanted to see what the gameplay was like.

Edit: D-Day. Outdoor Survival. Third Reich (currently). And Wizard's Quest, here. I HAVE Panzer Leader, but haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've never played is Football Strategy. We had a copy of Outdoor Survival in our high school library and games club and played that one regularly. Like oneoldgamer (below) I never understood the hate that sometimes rears itself for the game, it was fun. We were lucky the librarian was a gamer and allowed us one corner and two tables to leave unfinished games set up until the next afternoon. There were a lot of Diplomacy and Kingmaker fights in that corner. The games themselves were kept in the library office, not on the shelves, and couldn't be checked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
I had thought I read somewhere that Outdoor Survival became one of the top selling games because the map board was used so much by early D&D gamers.

I only played it through VASSAL because I wanted to see what the gameplay was like.

I read the same thing, but I thought the whole system was used, not just the board. Which makes sense, since it was like a proto-rpg with "hit points" and inventory and random encounters. I really don't understand all the hate for this game. My friends and I played it a ton. You had to make optimal choices and get a little bit of luck. Sure it was long, but a LOT of games back then were long. Sure, you died frequently, but that made it a challenge worth undertaking.

My most game on this list is either Feudal ( my friend and I both owned it and had huge battles combining both sets) or Blitzkrieg. We led the armies of the blue and pink nations into battle many times

Great idea posting this, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it hate, but my friends and I found Outdoor Survival incredibly BORING. So much so that we house ruled handguns so our counters could shoot each other and liven things up.

I will say that the counters are accidentally very funny. The final-stage "prone man" counter really is just begging to be someone's avatar.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I've probably played Wizard's Quest the most. Hope that doesn't wreck my wargamer cred. Well, who am I kidding? Of course it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly half, from the heavy (Third Reich) to the light (Feudal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Facts in Five, Panzerblitz, Squad Leader, Panzer Leader,
Tactics II, Luftwaffe, Statis-Pro Baseball, Blitzkreig, Acquire,
Diplomacy, Midway, D-Day, Afrika Korps, War at Sea, Feudal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 12 - but a lot depends on whther we are talking about AH versions. I played the original versions of Feudal, Facts in Five, and Acquire, and some versions of Diplomacy (don't even remember); these were clearly big sellers but are we talking about the AH version runs only?

In terms of hours played, Third Riech was a clear favorite of mine, I thought it was a great game for the time, until I played and became a lifetime World In Flames player. In terms of most games played on this list, probably Luftwaffe.

To me the most interesting thing about polls like this is remembering how great I thought the games wre back then, but when I compare them to what we have now ......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paydirt is my most played game on the list. I didn't get into war games until adulthood. I played about half the games on the list, but only a handful of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
Weird...the only games I've played on that list are games that the majority of respondents haven't played! With two exceptions: Acquire and Diplomacy. Both Acquire and Diplomacy I've played the AH versions, as well as other editions in the case of Diplomacy.

OOPS! Squad Leader, I've played, too! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I write this, only seven have been played by half of those voting — only two of which by two-thirds. And six have been played by less than a third. Call me an old school curmudgeon, but that probably explains a lot of wargame wishy-washiness on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 13 of them. Probably played Acquire the most. Lots of Feudal. because they were the ones I could get others to play.

Solitaire? Probably Panzer Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great fun to see this poll. I wonder how different the answers would be to, "Which of these have you played since 1990?", because I for one have played exactly zero of them since 1990 though I had played twelve of them before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmccalpin wrote:
Great fun to see this poll. I wonder how different the answers would be to, "Which of these have you played since 1990?", because I for one have played exactly zero of them since 1990 though I had played twelve of them before then.

I may have played Diplomacy once or twice since 1990, none of the others on this list; however I have played other AH gamers not on the list. I've played Advanced Civilization and Dune, which we think IF you can get 5 or 6 players, is still an absolute classic. I've also played Magic Realm and Freedom in the Galaxy.

May say something about wargamers and 'big sellers' .......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
Breunor wrote:
mmccalpin wrote:

I may have played Diplomacy once or twice since 1990, none of the others on this list; however I have played otehrh AH gamers not ont he list. I've played Advanced Civilization and Dune, which we think IF you can get 5 or 6 players, is still an absolute classic. I've also played Magic Realm and Freedom in the Galaxy.

May say something about wargamers and 'big sellers' .......

I have played Outdoor Survival, Squad Leader (not ASL), Acquire and Diplomacy since 1990. I've also played other AH games not on the list (especially Wooden Ships&Iron Men) since that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
All but 5 for me (the naval games, two of the sports games, and Feudal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.