Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

New York 1776» Forums » General

Subject: Let us know when you get your game and how is the quality and play! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my fellow New York 1776 buyers let us know when you get your copy and your impressions of its build quality and first play. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it should be soon. They started shipping a couple days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got mine. Not played yet, I will be playing it tonight at my local game night.

I am a little underwhelmed by the quality of what you get for $55. I am willing to overlook that stuff if the game plays well, so we will see. Maybe this is my fault for having my expectations be too high for the price that was paid.

A few things to note:

- The box is pretty flimsy, it comes with a sleeve but the box itself is just a Worthington Publishing blue box. Along the lines of what Victory Point Games does. REALLY wish this came in an actual box, maybe I overlooked that during the kickstarter campaign.

- The map (as expected) is thick paperboard

- Wood blocks and stickers are great, the new sticker art is really good.

- The companion book is 48 pages and is soft cover with glossy finish, no complaints with the cover. It is black and white inside but looks to be a great read and I really appreciate the designers including something like this in the game.

I will be interested to hear other peoples thoughts as copies begin to roll in. In the end, as long as it plays well the box and board dont REALLY matter but for $55 I wish I could be playing this game on a hard board and pulling pieces out of a box the felt like it was going to hold up for a while. If you think about it there isnt much you get as far as components so a real board and box would have been nice.

Overall I am excited to have the game in hand and I am looking forward to getting this to the table tonight and giving the book a read. Really appreciate them including the companion book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for informing us. Did you buy the extra blocks?

reckoner wrote:
Just got mine. Not played yet, I will be playing it tonight at my local game night.

I am a little underwhelmed by the quality of what you get for $55. I am willing to overlook that stuff if the game plays well, so we will see. Maybe this is my fault for having my expectations be too high for the price that was paid.

A few things to note:

- The box is pretty flimsy, it comes with a sleeve but the box itself is just a Worthington Publishing blue box. Along the lines of what Victory Point Games does. REALLY wish this came in an actual box, maybe I overlooked that during the kickstarter campaign.

- The map (as expected) is thick paperboard

- Wood blocks and stickers are great, the new sticker art is really good.

- The companion book is 48 pages and is soft cover with glossy finish, no complaints with the cover. It is black and white inside but looks to be a great read and I really appreciate the designers including something like this in the game.

I will be interested to hear other peoples thoughts as copies begin to roll in. In the end, as long as it plays well the box and board dont REALLY matter but for $55 I wish I could be playing this game on a hard board and pulling pieces out of a box the felt like it was going to hold up for a while. If you think about it there isnt much you get as far as components so a real board and box would have been nice.

Overall I am excited to have the game in hand and I am looking forward to getting this to the table tonight and giving the book a read. Really appreciate them including the companion book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
reckoner wrote:
For the most part I enjoy Worthington's games, they put out some good stuff by some good game designers, but I haven't found "bang for the buck" to be a strong-suit for their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Thanks for informing us. Did you buy the extra blocks?

Sure thing, I would love to hear your thoughts once it arrives. I did not get extra blocks so I will just be using the new sticker versions I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
reckoner wrote:
For the most part I enjoy Worthington's games, they put out some good stuff by some good game designers, but I haven't found "bang for the buck" to be a strong-suit for their games.

Ahh I see, the only thing I had to compare was Hold the Line which is what I was expecting as far as a box goes. Well here's to good gameplay!

Post on here once your copy comes in, Id like to gauge thoughts from people who have plenty of Worthington's other stuff. Maybe this is right on par.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrived just now. So far I like what I see component wise. Glad to have the companion book for the game. I hope this becomes a regular thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh oh, received the game but not the extra set of blocks I paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Albright
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got mine and it looks great. I think I'm going to mount the map on a cardboard backing for durability. Plan on keeping for a long time to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came to Mandeville, Louisiana on Friday, July 25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butters, I would suggest you also spray the game surface with Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Satin. I give my games a couple of coats and it gives the play surface a very durable finish.
- Rich

MI_Butters wrote:
Just got mine and it looks great. I think I'm going to mount the map on a cardboard backing for durability. Plan on keeping for a long time to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrived, along with Hold the Line as the package deal. The book looks great & will probably see use before the game, as I have family in town. Some of the packing glue from the worthington box is on the map, but I think I got it all off. I ordered extra blocks, & the Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set, though only the blocks showed up. I'll shoot them an email, they seem pretty responsible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie 40
United States
in the flight path of McGuire AFB
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrived intact today in the geographic center of New Jersey, extra blocks and all. The stickers and map look good. The box appears a mite thin-skinned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Cumiskey
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I've just opened the box and scimmed through it ... regarding bang-for-my-buck, its about what I expected. Comparable to Columbia Games block games. Looking forward to playing, but given my current gaming schedule, that might be a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Albertina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received July 28 in Collinsville, Illinois (just outside St. Louis) with Hold the Line and extra blocks.

Overall first impression is that the quality looks decent. The map looks fine and the rulebook looks well laid out. Really like the artwork on the labels. And I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the companion booklet for some additional background on the battle.

Only gripe, and it's a minor one, is that the companion booklet came with a rather healthy crease on the front cover. But not a huge deal for me personally.

It might be a week or two before I get to really delve into the game because of some other commitments, but I look forward to it. I love the era and while I've haven't played many block games, this certainly looks promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cullen

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived today [28 July 2014]. I have just finished sticking the blocks. Here's my thoughts.

Block quality; about average to below average. Blocks were not uniform in shape. I had one that was so misshapen that it would lean forward or backward or otherwise be recognizable as a distinct block if I had used it. Also, the color was slightly off on some blocks. Not all that noticeably so, but it was still there. A bit more quality control on the blocks would be appreciated.

Another question on the blocks is the question that was raised and never answered; if you order a second set of blocks, are there enough blocks to sticker both the original set of labels and the custom set of labels? The answer is no. There is not. If you order an extra set of blocks you can sticker both the original and the custom set of labels for the British and have 6 extra blocks. But for the Americans, you must choose between the original set or the custom set. There are not enough blue blocks to sticker both a full set of original labels for the Americans and custom labels for the Americans. This was a disappointment to me. Is it possible to order an extra set of blue blocks? I would hope so. As I want of be able to have both the original set and the custom set of Americans as well as the British.

Stickers/labels; below par. On a number of stickers the scoring, or whatever you call it, was not complete. On some of the stickers, two stickers came off because they were not completely cut. Requiring manual cutting or ripping. In one case, the ripping resulted in ripped corners. This occurred on the custom sheet and not on the original sheet. Again, I was disappointed with the quality control.

Also with the stickers/labels; the alternative stickers for the leaders is only available in the custom version. There is plenty of extra space available in the custom sheet. And the original leaders template, or whatever, is very straight forward. They could have easily added original versions of the custom leaders, but didn't. This is disappointing.

The map/board; pretty straight forward for a non-mounted map board. Just fine. No problems with it.

Edit [29 July 2014]: Stickers; there is a "spare set of extra stickers" for the original sticker set specifically in cast you have trouble putting on the stickers, but there is no spare set of extra stickers for the custom set despite the fact that same situation could apply to the custom set.

The blocks; As stated above there are not enough blocks to sticker both a complete set of original and custom American blocks. You have to choose one or the other. Once done and stickered though, you have a whole bunch of extra blue blocks if you have ordered the extra block set. In other words, if you could only do one, the original or the custom, they sent too many blocks. If you were suppose to have been able to sticker two complete sets they sent too few.

Also, I am not sure why they included Southern Militia; Georgia, North and South Carolina for instance. I don't believe that they were present in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrived yesterday (July 28th) in Vermont. Extra blocks included.... Quality was just what I expected. Good, solid quality components. Hoping to get a chance to play this weekend!

I have not stickered my blocks yet...so I don't know if I got enough for all the stickers. But I am not worried about that...the game looks great. The book that came with it is quite good.

Overall I am really happy with the game components... now for the play. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phacops wrote:
Arrived, along with Hold the Line as the package deal. The book looks great & will probably see use before the game, as I have family in town. Some of the packing glue from the worthington box is on the map, but I think I got it all off. I ordered extra blocks, & the Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set, though only the blocks showed up. I'll shoot them an email, they seem pretty responsible.

To follow up, I wrote, and they got it right out to me. Thanks Worthington!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Overall, I'm satisfied with the components. The stickers were a little off center and as previously mentioned, not all were fully cut (nothing a little x-acto can't mend), but nothing that really bothered me. Blocks are fine, but there are not enough, particularly for the Americans, to use many of the optional labels if you didn't order extra. I ended up having to use extra C&C blocks for game markers so I could include Putnam, Sullivan, and Hamilton's artillery.

The box does seem rather flimsy and as I store most of my games flat and length-ways, it's disappointing to see the publisher's logo on the shelf instead of the title. The bottom of the generic Worthington box (inside the sleeve) has a turn track on the bottom, which is a cool idea to use the box for a more functional purpose, but I would find an odds/percentile table or something more useful I think.

I was pleasantly surprised by the map, I was expecting your standard paper wargame map but it's on rather sturdy paperboard (pretty much the same as the C&C:A map before they included mounted boards in the base set). As for the map itself, it's quite nice: nice balance between functional abstract iconography/text (thank you for not using a gothic font) and period flavor, the scale seems pretty accurate (Manhattan isn't too big), and the representation of towns/points with attractive town icons instead of the typical dot/circle is appreciated.

The companion book is pretty good so far: well written with valuable information and good maps/OOBs. The effort to include this much historical background is always greatly appreciated for me. It would have been even better if the book enabled you to use the game as a historical demonstration (directions to move the pieces around as you read through the campaign history) but I've only seen this done before in 1777: The Year of the Hangman, so I'm not holding this against the game, just wish it was done more.

Haven't gotten it to a table ftf yet, but messed around a bit solo and it seems like a tight and light block game with a short playtime. The battle board seems like it will add a lot of additional depth on top of the campaign map though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Albertina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This speaks to my initial impressions of the play of the game.

Overall, I enjoyed my first session, albeit not a complete game. I did have a few questions over the rules (which I posed elsewhere in the forum section). But it was fairly easy to learn the basics of the game. It does get a little crowded on the mapboard at times, given there were often 10 or more blocks in some locations.

I used only the basic rules in this session. In my game, the British side took a two pronged approach at the start, with the main forces trying to take Long Island, with a smaller force slogging up through New Jersey in an attempt to envelope Washington in New York, plus take control of Paulus Hook to open up the waterways for the navy.

Through a series of quick successes, the British took Long Island with very little problem. Then, feeling that a direct assault on New York City, where the bulk of Washington's forces were still massed, would be futile, the Brits went for a landing north of the city. The secondary British force pushed back the American force guarding the New Jersey side, city by city.

Not wanting to get surrounded, Washington abandoned NYC and headed north to make a stand at Port Washington. An over-confident British side went prematurely for the kill, without waiting for his complete force, whereupon his force was depleted to the point that it was going to be difficult to defeat Washington or even dislodge him from Port Washington, absent a break in supply lines. The session ended there.

American's side biggest blunder was probably the original deployment of forces, especially on Long Island. The British side's blunder is fairly obvious from the description above. The Americans didn't do much, but enough to weaken the British force to make a British victory unlikely.

Conclusion: I enjoyed the game. It was easy to learn and to get into the mechanics of it. Too early to tell how balanced the play is, given it was a partial game and neither side was played at its best, considering the mistakes made by both players. I think the importance for the British side of keeping the Hessians at nearly full strength for the crucial battles is obviously important, if for no reason, the ease at which they can reduce the American militia to a nearly useless force.

I'll withhold final judgment until I get a few more plays under my belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.