Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my heroes growing up. My father was a police officer, and him and his three boys sitting down to watch The Rockford Files was akin to attending church in our house. R.I.P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
**salute**

Rest in Peace, Soldier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Joey, I never knew this about you! Great story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan white
United States
Duncanville
Texas
flag msg tools
I envy you! Garner was probably one of the most popular stars to come from his generation. It's typical of the man's self effacement that few knew about his war record.

As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I also feel that I owe history the story of a very different war hero from that conflict. Chicago Bears defensive coach, and later, the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles during their most heated rivalry with the Cowboys, Buddy Ryan, also served at the sharp end as an infantry Sargent during the Korean War. Like almost all Cowboys fans, I hated Ryan with a pure, burning flame. Even aside from his behavior as a coach in Phillie, Ryan was probably a difficult person to like. But by God, when I learned that he'd served his country in the most dangerous way, my feelings towards the man completely changed. I don't know whether Buddy is still alive or not, but if I could I'd shake his hand and apologize for the curses I, like so many other Cownoys fans screamed at him for all those tears. I like to think that he enjoyed them. God bless you, Jim Garner and a Buddy Ryan, for what you both did for all of us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Kwon
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to heroes like Garner, 50 million South Koreans can rest well at home instead of toiling for the fat dude in the North.

It is regrettable that some Koreans hate Americans - they simply don't know what they are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clawclamp wrote:
It is regrettable that some Koreans hate Americans - they simply don't know what they are doing.
Hatred is a funny thing, not based on logic.

Love is colorblind. Hate looks for any difference, regardless of meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.