Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...say, to the same quality and standard as Stronghold Games' beautiful new version of Escape from Atlantis, but using the original ruleset as designed by Julian Courtland-Smith instead of the watered down thing released by Waddingtons, would there be much interest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there aren't lipstick-wearing T-rexes that fall over as soon as you look at them, I'm not interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I have the original but if you reprint, you really do need to try to retain the 3-D components (Swampy! Pteranodon!!!) and board(mountains/volcano/temple), and especially (as previous poster jokingly puts it) the campy/cheesey factor should be preserved in some way. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'd be interested, but as the previous posters have mentioned, it would have to resemble the original. At least it would mean I'd have a temple that wasn't falling apart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnston
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally, I used to love this.

And those two mountains served me well in many games of Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
idlemichael wrote:
...say, to the same quality and standard as Stronghold Games' beautiful new version of Escape from Atlantis,

You mean, with wooden dinosaurs and pawns instead of the plastic goodness? No, thanks! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
The only reason why it worked with Survive is because of the nature of the game.

Not for me. I'm happy to have grabbed a Waddingtons copy (two different versions that I combined, actually) some ten years ago.

Quote:
Besides, the main reason why the newest version is so beautiful, is because they dropped the ausloo art and Asmodee gave it proper care by licensing it from stronghold and hiring real artists for the task.

Be prepared to be harassed via geekmail by this guy for criticizing his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Courtland-Smith
United Kingdom
HASTINGS
flag msg tools
designer
LordHellfury wrote:
But I am very interested in how Courtland-Smith originally envisioned the game, as well as the last in the trilogy.

Hi Your Lordship,
Due to brevity of space, I can only give a snapshot of my initial idea. The original (prototype) game is more a game of skill than chance. There are NO DICE in the game. Players head and represent a team of explorers entering the Lost Valley to find treasure left behind by Inca descendants. Hence, in the original game there are natives who live in jungle villages. Plus, there are only 3 dinosaurs and no swamp monsters. Explorers caught by natives are dumped in swamps to await their fate from a returning tyrannosaurus. The volcano doesn't erupt until later in the game and its lava can flow in many directions. Every game is different. Explorers also encounter other prehistoric monsters from The Land That Time Forgot, such as triceratops, etc. When confronted explorers can either shoot them or die. Ammunition is in short supply, so this is another decision players have to make to survive.

The last game in my trilogy is Mammoth Mountain. This unpublished game is set in the Ice Age and includes many creatures from the period including Woolly Rhinos, Bison, Bears, Sabre-tooth Tigers, etc. Each player represents a tribe. Their objective is to hunt Wooly Mammoths and convert their kill into meat, hide and tusks. With these they can feed their tribe, barter and/or trade. Tribesmen attempt to take their booty to the top of Mammoth Mountain to be blessed by the gods. A rock throwing Yeti impedes their progress. Combat also takes place between the tribes. Meanwhile, the Ice Age cometh as ice slowly covers the mountain. Fun adventure game, yet with all the cut and thrust of the previous thematic games.

Getting games accepted by major companies is, with hindsight, a matter of timing and luck. I spent many years trying to find a publisher for LVD. I got lucky in year 6 when the new Product Development Manager of Waddingtons turned out to be a guy who had previously worked for a company marketing plastic dinosaurs and fully appreciated their commercial value.

Survive was turned down in the UK, so my agent shipped it across the pond to Parker Bros for review and the rest is history.

Mammoth Mountain was a case of bad timing. A recession had kicked and companies were gobbling each other up like some frenzied dino fest. I showed it to companies who are now part of histories mysteries and are now only brand names like MB, etc.

Jules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheManFromAtlantis wrote:
LordHellfury wrote:
But I am very interested in how Courtland-Smith originally envisioned the game, as well as the last in the trilogy.

Hi Your Lordship,
Due to brevity of space, I can only give a snapshot of my initial idea. The original (prototype) game is more a game of skill than chance. There are NO DICE in the game. Players head and represent a team of explorers entering the Lost Valley to find treasure left behind by Inca descendants. Hence, in the original game there are natives who live in jungle villages. Plus, there are only 3 dinosaurs and no swamp monsters. Explorers caught by natives are dumped in swamps to await their fate from a returning tyrannosaurus. The volcano doesn't erupt until later in the game and its lava can flow in many directions. Every game is different. Explorers also encounter other prehistoric monsters from The Land That Time Forgot, such as triceratops, etc. When confronted explorers can either shoot them or die. Ammunition is in short supply, so this is another decision players have to make to survive.

The last game in my trilogy is Mammoth Mountain. This unpublished game is set in the Ice Age and includes many creatures from the period including Woolly Rhinos, Bison, Bears, Sabre-tooth Tigers, etc. Each player represents a tribe. Their objective is to hunt Wooly Mammoths and convert their kill into meat, hide and tusks. With these they can feed their tribe, barter and/or trade. Tribesmen attempt to take their booty to the top of Mammoth Mountain to be blessed by the gods. A rock throwing Yeti impedes their progress. Combat also takes place between the tribes. Meanwhile, the Ice Age cometh as ice slowly covers the mountain. Fun adventure game, yet with all the cut and thrust of the previous thematic games.

Getting games accepted by major companies is, with hindsight, a matter of timing and luck. I spent many years trying to find a publisher for LVD. I got lucky in year 6 when the new Product Development Manager of Waddingtons turned out to be a guy who had previously worked for a company marketing plastic dinosaurs and fully appreciated their commercial value.

Survive was turned down in the UK, so my agent shipped it across the pond to Parker Bros for review and the rest is history.

Mammoth Mountain was a case of bad timing. A recession had kicked and companies were gobbling each other up like some frenzied dino fest. I showed it to companies who are now part of histories mysteries and are now only brand names like MB, etc.

Jules

As someone who owns and has loved both Escape From Atlantis and Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs since childhood all I can say is thank you for the games of yours that we did manage to get. I'm sure if you put your third game (Mammoth Mountain) as a Kickstarter project you'd probably get enough funding to never have to deal with a major company again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mammoth Mountain and a reprint of Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs. I have LVotD; but it's a well loved copy that I don't envision standing up to much longer play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to LVD reprint if in full Ameritrash style with all the plastic! Original rules and Waddington rules as included variants like Risk and Nexus Ops do. My kid loves this when I showed it to her.

If I had seen Mammoth Mountain I would have at least checked it out.

Until then since I can't find affordable (or any) copies, I'll keep searching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(silent) Bob Munroe
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved this game as a kid - we played it a lot growing up (& my parents still have it). Luckily, I found a copy a few years ago that turned out to have been played maybe once...so now my kids can also enjoy my fav childhood game (& they love it as much as we did).

Part of the awesomeness is, I think, the kitchy components. I think something would be lost by trying to upgrade it to something sleek & awesome (as nice as that would be). Having said that, it would be fantastic to have it avail again.

pincher wrote:

I'm sure if you put your third game (Mammoth Mountain) as a Kickstarter project you'd probably get enough funding to never have to deal with a major company again.

I think it'd be kind of cool to have the original LVoD concept published as well. It sounds different enough to how LVoD ended up that it could be a great addition to any collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexlotl
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any further news? I'd love to play this with my extended family at Christmas, it would bring back a lot of fond memories, and with the tighter rules, the game may actually live up to those memories (much as Survive! does).

+1 to the comments about kickstartering Mammoth Mountain. It would be great to be able to own the full trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see a reprint, with plastic dinos, the 3D aspect and both the original rules tightened up, as there's so many loop holes in the game as is, and would also like to see the new rules as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.