Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine and I are both very new to the game and playing on boardgaming online. We've done some reading and watched some videos, but I think some of the finer points are still lost on us.

Just now I had 2 warriors and Alexander the Great as a leader (+1 to all of my military units). I also have a +1 to colonization in hand. I think this gives me a strength of 4 with a potential for 5 with the card. He only has a military strength of 2.

The Inhabited Territory event comes up and I bid a strength of 3 and he passes. I think that I can play my card and sacrifice 1 warrior for a total strength of 3, however the program made me sacrifice both of my guys and only counted them as a strength of 1 each.

Is this a mistake, or is there a reason that I don't know that my units didn't get the bonus from Alexander the Great during this process?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
the chandrian wrote:
A friend of mine and I are both very new to the game and playing on boardgaming online. We've done some reading and watched some videos, but I think some of the finer points are still lost on us.

Just now I had 2 warriors and Alexander the Great as a leader (+1 to all of my military units). I also have a +1 to colonization in hand. I think this gives me a strength of 4 with a potential for 5 with the card. He only has a military strength of 2.

The Inhabited Territory event comes up and I bid a strength of 3 and he passes. I think that I can play my card and sacrifice 1 warrior for a total strength of 3, however the program made me sacrifice both of my guys and only counted them as a strength of 1 each.

Is this a mistake, or is there a reason that I don't know that my units didn't get the bonus from Alexander the Great during this process?

Thanks in advance.

What is the exact wording on the Alexander the Great card?

Edit: It looks like the online program handles it correctly. According to this thread, Alexander adds +1 strength to your civilization for each military unit, not +1 strength to each unit.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5788080#5788080
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Each of your military units gives you an additional +1 *crossed sword icon*"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it only really counts when figuring out strongest/weakest civilization?

And I just built the Great Wall. Does this work like Alexander?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It counts for military strength, it doesn't modify the individual units (and thus is no good for colonising). Notice how this wording is very different from Ghenghis Khan who *does* modify units themselves, and hence it's useful for colonising.

This would be why a colonising strategy often goes for Ghengis, and never Alexansder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much. It's my second game, and I lost the first handily largely because I lost almost every colony. I thought that I was going for colonizing, but oh well. Lesson learned for the many more games to come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Gelinas
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! The Great Wall gives you additionnal strength, but you can't sacrifice that bonus, just like Alexander. In Age 2, Napoleon works the same, the strength bonus he gives you can not be sacrificed.

As it's already been mentionned, Genghis Khan is an exception to this because he doesn't give a bonus for your mounted units, he directly makes them one point stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximnicov wrote:
In Age 2, Napoleon works the same, the strength bonus he gives you can not be sacrificed.

Wrong, Napoleans' bonus does apply, if you sacrifice an entire army!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scheck
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
Maximnicov wrote:
In Age 2, Napoleon works the same, the strength bonus he gives you can not be sacrificed.

Not true. Napoleon only affects your Military Strength. His bonus is not added a second time if you sacrifice a whole army. For example, if you have a Classic Army (all Age I) and Napoleon, that's 26 (9 from Napoleon). If you sacrifice everything in an attack, your total strength would be 26 + 17 (the value of the Classic Army + units). If Napoleon applied for sacrifice, your total strength would be 26 + 26, but it does not work that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I stand corrected. Napolean states he adds to Military Strength, not doubles the bonus of a tactic (which is how it's always described).

Not that you are going to pay that for a colony anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Maximnicov wrote:

That is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.