Subject: Community Project Suggestion: Myth Encounter-Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an idea for what could be an interesting project.

Some seem to love the sandbox nature of Myth, others are meh about it.
The quest for Myth also have some problems.

I think it would be worthwhile to make "encounter cards" for Myth,
that would exactly told you what to do, what monsters to place, what darkness deck to use etc.
So it would be more in a style of Warhammer Quest and Shadows of Brimstone
perhaps - more dungeon crawly, no "make-your-own-adventure".

It could work even like randomly generated campaign composed of those encounters.

The campaign would track running-out time for a heroes to stop the darkness
and also "darkness strength" determining difficulty.
The "darkness strength" multiplied by the number of heroes present in a given encounter would be a "threat" heroes are facing in a given encounter.
Heroes sometimes get a reward for a victory and/or penalty for a failure.
Heroes will win the campaign by completing the requirements of the given
campaign - for example by collecting 3 given artefacts to unlock a finale and surviving the finale.

Work-in-progress simple example (probably not very balanced):

Quote:
Price of Pride

You run into a number of Muckers arguing about who of them is the biggest and baddest hero-slayer and live-kitten-eater. You screams "For the kittens! Revenge!" and interupt the contest. Sluggishly they fight back...

Tile: 12x12

Deck: Orkneas

Placement: 1 Mucker for every 3 points of Threat (zig-zag pattern, from the left). If you run out of Muckers, they are all +1 health for every 2 you are unable to place. 1 treasure in the right corner.

Other: Darkness -4 AP

Failure: Darkness Strength +1

Victory: +2 gold

The good thing about it is that by using common template and form for those card we could create a massive encounter deck for use by everybody.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This seems like a cross between the Chapter quests and the Tile set up conditions.

I like it! I too have ideas for Myth. I'd like to write an entire campaign using the system with custom quests and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbcorp26 wrote:
This seems like a cross between the Chapter quests and the Tile set up conditions.

I like it! I too have ideas for Myth. I'd like to write an entire campaign using the system with custom quests and such.

Custom campaign will be great too.
I was thinking that the encounter-cards would give you quite simple, ready, to go, non-arbitrary, yet surprising and replayable experience.
Set campaign will be great too (I am looking forward to see your creation)
but there will be less of a surprise, replayability and the dungeon-crawl feel (depends on the precise design of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
robbcorp26 wrote:

I was thinking that the encounter-cards would give you quite simple, ready, to go, non-arbitrary, yet surprising and replayable experience.
but there will be less of a surprise, replayability and the dungeon-crawl feel (depends on the precise design of course).

I would attempt to tell a story with the campaign. Thicker than the Story lines in the game. The Campaign would be a bit tight on the rails but the system is so diverse I think it would still be quite fun.

Baldur's Gate: MYTH

Maybe you can post more Encounter Card ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbcorp26 wrote:
okocnar wrote:
robbcorp26 wrote:

I would attempt to tell a story with the campaign. Thicker than the Story lines in the game. The Campaign would be a bit tight on the rails but the system is so diverse I think it would still be quite fun.

Baldur's Gate: MYTH :)

Maybe you can post more Encounter Card ideas?

I still dont even have the game so everything, is little bit preliminary.

And I should add something to the "system" outline:
After each 6 time units passed a night comes and it takes another 6 time units. Encounters in the night are different, usually worse than by day. If you encounter inn etc., you have an option to spend a night there.
Some encounters have tiles placed, some are just read (and possibly roleplayed by imaginative groups) and resolved.
You can track all the data needed for whole campaign on a simple sheet of paper and imaginative people can even write a party chronicle filling up the details not mentioned on cards with their own literary talent :)

Here is the example of no-tile simple encounter.

Quote:
Burned village

Smell of smoke and burned meat welcomes you as you enter a village (?) you remember being inhabited by friendly if little bit loud locals. ? also lived here. Now the village is ashen ruin destroyed by the minions of darkeness. You are almost sure that ? are responsible for this carnage.

If it is a day you find something useful in this misery (draw an item from treasure bag).
The party can face all this with cynicism and curses (+1 Darkness Strenght) or hope that sees farther (spend 2 Serendipidity).

-1 time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schel Straw
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a very cool thread. it just shows the promise of the myth board game. Which in fact feels more like a game system than a single game. I myself am working on adapting the entirety of diablo III into a board game using myth. I have some similar concepts to these encounter cards you are talking about. I really need to finish putting it onto my computer so i can share it here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Come closer. I'll tell you a tale of wonder and adventure that you will share far and wide...."

I've been thinking about making an Act Quest concerning the backstory of the Brigand, then a spy, and how other heroes needed to rescue him from the Rat King and his minions before joining the rank of heroes.

I can see the sandbox-working for the Chapter Quests for the game. But for the final chapter quest, I feel that a specific encounter card, complete with numbers of minions, captains, lairs and/or hunting packs would need to be spelled out. Even traps - 2x2 piles of garbage that conceal Huron's Traps on a Darkness FD roll - would need to be spelled out in a graphical image.

I can see how Encounter Cards, or at least a blend of Free-form Quest card mixed with Encounter Cards, can make this a reality. Good stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.