Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much value is accessed for the following:

a $65 OOP game in shrink from retailer.

after opening it it has one corner completely torn, everything not punched except what shipping might've knocked out.

How much is it now worth?

Now, same game comes in shrink, prefect box, but is opened and punched and cards(1 sheet that was half punched when it arrived due to shipping I suspect), cards are opened to count components.

How much is that copy worth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: quick question
This doesn't take it into account that a retailer will try to buy low, sell high, no matter what they do. And to give both sides, the retailer will take back a non-punched game back for full refund and pay for shipping, and only $35 for the punched version (claiming the box tear is not why it is devalued) and I would have to pay shipping it back to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: quick question
1, it depends on the game.
2, it depends on where you're trying to value it for. eBay? The BGG Marketplace? Trading with users?
3, Please use more descriptive thread titles in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Stefan Dorra's MarraCash
Value in general for what it could be purchased for - would it matter on where it is located?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Value in general for what it could be purchased for - would it matter on where it is located?

Absolutely. People tend to charge more on eBay than here because it's a larger market with more possible buyers without there being many more of the rarer items like this, and because eBay takes a larger fee. FLGS usually charge MSRP regardless of the game, OLGS less except for OOP titles, then often more.

For your game specifically, I can't offer you any more information than eBay, SpielBoy, and the BGG Marketplace already can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brewdinar wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

Absolutely. People tend to charge more on eBay than here because it's a larger market with more possible buyers without there being many more of the rarer items like this, and because eBay takes a larger fee. FLGS usually charge MSRP regardless of the game, OLGS less except for OOP titles, then often more.

For your game specifically, I can't offer you any more information than eBay, SpielBoy, and the BGG Marketplace already can.

I don't understand how that the bgg marketplace can tell me how damage versus punched will devalue a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
brewdinar wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

I don't understand how that the bgg marketplace can tell me how damage versus punched will devalue a game?

Look at what I quoted. I was answering a different question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the perfect punched copy is worth far more because it is worth far more to you and all of us.

In shrink listed. When the game is not perfect is kind of a half to full scam that you could run into here on bgg. I have, I think once.

In general

$60 to $65 for the perfect punched one.

Lucky to get $40 for the other one.

Unless and only unless it is not available and rarer and oop.

Then $50 seems fair, but all of this depends on demand. Happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More data to hem and haw on:

Retailer says had I not punched the pieces/opened the cards (I was checking components) it would have only been 5 dollars off.

Now since it was punched and cards opened, it is now 35 bucks. But does that take into account the damaged corner, or would it still be 35 if punched if the corner wasn't split? And since I would have to send the game at my expense the 35 I would get for it would drop 10-15 dollars as well. So 20 bucks is about how much I would get for sending it back, losing 45 bucks.

Claiming a split corner will net a loss of 8% and punching a game 45% is ludicrous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So 20 bucks is about how much I would get for sending it back, losing 45 bucks.

If that's what the retailer is offering, then it may be a lost cause.

I probably would just keep the game and not do business with that retailer anymore.

I may even post a negative experience in the appropriate forum on BGG to warn other potential buyers about their practices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
More data to hem and haw on:

Retailer says had I not punched the pieces/opened the cards (I was checking components) it would have only been 5 dollars off.

Now since it was punched and cards opened, it is now 35 bucks. But does that take into account the damaged corner, or would it still be 35 if punched if the corner wasn't split? And since I would have to send the game at my expense the 35 I would get for it would drop 10-15 dollars as well. So 20 bucks is about how much I would get for sending it back, losing 45 bucks.

Claiming a split corner will net a loss of 8% and punching a game 45% is ludicrous.

The retailer and me do not agree. I find the retailer's first statement ridiculous because the secondary market on bgg invalidates that statement. Open and punched is okay. Some enterprising people even get more than they paid out of nicely punched games with the cards open and that are in nice condition.

If the corner was not split you could sell it on bgg to other users over time for at minimum $50 and you know that.

You bought from the wrong people that do not know how to retain customers, grow their business, or care enough to ship a game properly. TWS is not like this. BB wasn't like this. Probably a few others out there are not going to cause problems.

Keep it and sell it on bgg, give them a respectful earful, and never do business again. If it is your style name them in discussing retailers. It has been mine before.

Shipped condition...not necessarily return policies is the number 1 reason I buy from a certain place. But then MM will do a nuts crazy deal and then completely invalidate my argument from a purely dollars and sense view. So I shop deals there. I have my eye on the secondary market just to maximize refund dollars as that is how I view it. I am not necessarily trying to just save money. I just find it nice to get a refund if I hate a game. What other hobby really gives you one? It helps to offset the costs.

I would superglue the split on the inside. Disclose it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave up. To lose $40 is a very bad idea which is how it would turn out. Out of principle of keeping a game where I have now bad feelings, I think I'll have to look elsewhere and sell this one. Every time I played it I would think about this hassle and being told my valuation was wrong, I can't keep my kids from punching things after seeing the split corner and thinking I might have to send it back, and that I should not have considered it "mine" due to this problem. I think a non-retailer would have thought my thought process was normal. I do not know if the retailer planned on fixing the corner and then reselling it, but I would hope they would be upfront about it if they did. The bad thing is, I don't think a negative is needed, as I did get everything in the trade/buy. The only problem was after everything arrived and trying to "make me happy" with the split corner was valuated into calling me a know-nothing in this field. That is where I came unglued. I've been in the hobby world of games since 93 and M:TG and from 1998 in board games, trading and buying games throughout this time. Thanks for helping me think I was not off my rocker in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the OP has cleaned up his title and original posts, I'm still a little mystified about what's going on. Since my opinion seems to differ from a few other responders, I'm going to give this a shot based on my understanding of what happened, if only so the opinion I currently hold has someone espousing it. Of course if I've misunderstood feel free to ignore it.

First, of course a retailer is not going to give you a full refund if you open and modify the contents of what they sell you. The item has gone from "new" to "used." End of story.

Second, if my desire is to keep an OOP collectible rather than to play a game, I most certainly would value the unpunched game with one box corner torn more than the used one. If I want a game to play, the time saved by not punching or fixing the box is more than made up with the risk that the game is not complete, has punching errors/tears, doesn't have the scrap board to keep the insert at the right height, etc. Net result, unpunched is more valuable in my world (games with massive numbers of counters excluded).

Third, Game Valuations is intended to help you figure out what a game should be worth on an open market so that you don't try to rip off other people or have them rip you off. Disputes with retailers, revolving around poorly described products or shipping damage, and return policies for used games, has nothing to do with this forum and everything to do with that retailer.

Frankly I have no idea what you're upset about, or why you turned here for answers. I am quite confused by this whole thread. I feel like there's just too much context missing to make a cohesive narrative, but the narrative is not even relevant to the question asked in the OP, nor is the question asked in the OP relevant in the frame of reference of the buyer-retailer relationship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing the value of game if it was split or punched. That was all I came here for, so I don't get ripped off when the defective product is sold to me and they want to make me happy by giving me some money to compensate for selling me such a product unbeknownst to them. They told me something that makes no sense to me (and others), so I'm glad I came here to see if I was on the wrong page and the retailer was right or vice-versa. I needed a valueation, so this is the correct forum. This is not a discussing retailer situation as this is an abnormal situation, so that forum would be wrong. I received an answer, but just to state that if this was in my flgs I could ask for a refund on damaged parts or a replacement. as it is an oop game replacement would be nigh impossible in the allotted time if at all. The retailer cannot send it back because it was second hand, though still shrink wrapped, so they will eat any cost, and they are trying to value it far less than I think they should especially considering after I punched it, how their valuation switched and put blame on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.