Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Attempting to build my own Crokinole board - Almost Done rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad H
msg tools
Just found these forums last week and neither I nor any single human being I know has ever heard of Crokinole.... but it looks like just the kind of game I could get really addicted to. So after finding out how expensive the boards are gulp I'm in the middle of making my own. Made a jig for my router to score the circles and did the dividing lines freehand. Gonna put on a few more coats of poly before making the base. Got some thin cork laying around I think I'm going to line the rim with.

Starting on the base - want to have the 1/2" deck inset so I'm routing 3/16" out first

Made a template smaller than the board so the router could ride the edge to get the outline first - then just back and forth to get all the material out

Then squared all the edges and cut the base out of the scrap piece of plywood I started with - decided to make the angles of the octagon a little smaller so there would be a bit of a catch area for the 20 pt pc's

Well... Didn't cut the 20 pt hole before I started and the bit slipped and took a huge chip out of the 15 pt area. Sooooo I guess I wasn't wild about that stain color anyways, but I did like the base. Barely got the old deck out without destroying it. Deep breath

New board - nice piece of birch that I didn't use the first time - nice to see my stifling the urge to really rush into something rewarded In case anyone wants to see here's how I routed the board and the jig I made. If anyone wants any more detail just let me know.

Since I'm starting over I decided to make the board about 1/2" larger so I could rout a notch around the bottom of the deck. Look a little cleaner if the deck sits inside the base, but the notch overlaps on top of the cork.

New board

I wondered why I haven't seen any boards with the scoring lines colored instead of just letting the stain soak in for a slightly darker line. It's because it's a GIANT PITA trying to paint those lines cleanly. Should look really nice after a few coats of poly though.

Painted the inside of the 20 pt hole, lined it with cork, and painted the outsided edge of the board white.

Cut the holes for the center posts.

Decided to do something different than what I've seen for the posts. I didn't want to do something permanent. I just thougth it would be too easy to accidentally snap a post or peg while moving it etc. I used T-Nuts and machine screws for the posts which I made out of 3/8" copper. The copper cap is perfect for covering the screw once it's all assembled, but I can still break it down easily for waxing or if something needs to be fixed or adjusted.

Got the old base prepped and I'm basically finished except for the rail. I've decided on a dark gloss burgandy, but still need to decide on height and style. Went with 5 coats of poly and 2 coats of wax on the board. Waiting for my discs to come from Mr Crokinole Used a few poker chips and they go a little more than double the distance on the board than on the laminate c-tops so I think she's slick enough.

I'm really happy with the way the posts turned out. Shot 'em with a few coats of clear laquer so they should stay looking nice and shiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Attempting to build my own Crokinole board
Looks great so far. Crokinole is damn addictive -- enjoy!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Woodson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of building one of these myself.

What's the next step? Are you going to edge it with bent wood?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last week you stumbled onto this site and asked for 2 player game recommendations, and this week you're building your own crokinole board!

Scary to think what you'll do next week or next month....

Good for you!!

Please update this thread with your progress and more pictures of the board, as it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Wow, what a great project!

If you haven't already seen it, you may find some useful suggestions on this page, a very interesting article showing how Stan and Carl Hilinski make their Crokinole boards.

http://www.crokinoleworld.com/howto/howto.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
bluedionysius wrote:
I was thinking of building one of these myself.

What's the next step? Are you going to edge it with bent wood?

Easier for me to go with the octagonal and miter a frame around the board than try to bend a rail. I'm thinking right now I'm going to route out about an 1/8th inch recess in the base to I can recess the playing deck a bit and then cover the catch area in cork. I didn't like any of the pegs I saw online so I'm either going to go to a hobby store and buy some wooden beads (for necklaces and bracelets) and pass a brass screw through them or I've seen some interesting cribbage pegs on Ebay that would do the trick nicely too. Then if we like the game I'll probably pass this one on as an experiment and make a few more. I'm already thinking of other color combinations I'd like

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
jwandke wrote:
Last week you stumbled onto this site and asked for 2 player game recommendations, and this week you're building your own crokinole board!

Good for you!!

LOL I'm so obsessive. We got our first batch of games and we LOVED Lost Cities. Gulo Gulo for the daughter was a hit too. I'm interested in Crokinole because we both love darts and the whole extended family has been on a ridiculous Cornhole kick for the last two summers. Cornhole is a great, great, great outdoor family game if you haven't played it. Crokinole looks like a good indoor cross between the two. Might be something our whole group could get caught up in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
Re: Attempting to build my own Crokinole board - Catastrophe!!
ARRGGGHHH Butchered it. I already ordered my discs so I'm starting again. First post updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Attempting to build my own Crokinole board - Catastrophe
looking good!

for your next project you can make your own Tumblin-Dice! i actually prefer this one a bit more than Crokinole (just a bit though as both are great).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:

Good for you!!

Please update this thread with your progress and more pictures of the board, as it happens.

Settlers of Catan Live Action Roleplay. Its the next quantum step.
If the author is taking requests, I'd like to see him build a dice tower!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadian Del Sol wrote:
If the author is taking requests, I'd like to see him build a dice tower!

Lifesize?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you didn't know already, there is a Yahoo Crokinole e-group:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/crokinole/

It's a friendly group. I've been lurking there for a year. Someday I'm going to buy a board or make my own just like you did.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
Almost finished. Waiting for somone to deliver my discs so I can start practicing Pics updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last years I made my own full sized arcade machine (http://www.ooine.com/index.cfm?catID=13), but for some reason I can't get myself to make a Crokinole board. I think it's because making a board requires that you spend the majority of your time doing the worst part of building a wooden project... sanding, sanding, sanding.

I hate sanding when it's not important. I'd hate it even more if it were critical to the ultimate playability of your board.

Great work so far though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
The arcade cabinet turned out great! I'm thinking the Crokinole board would be a cakewalk after that. I really didn't do a ton of sanding. The birch plywood has such a nice finish to begin with and I have a nice hook & loop orbital that makes it go pretty quickly. Started with 120 then 220 before staining and used 00 scotchbrite and wet/dry 400 dry between coats and wet for the final sanding before waxing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merle Wideman
Canada
Fort St. John
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hi! Kudos to you for making your own crokinole game. Most people don't have the courage, time or "know how" to attempt such a project.

A lot of people think that a couple hundred bucks or more is a lot for a crokinole game, but think nothing of dropping fifty bucks on a night at the movies (popcorn and all) with the family. Personally I think that makes a crokinole game look like a bargain. It can be played for hours for years an years and then be passed on to the next generation. A good board will actually take on an enriched look with age. Also when compared to a shuffleboard table or pool table, crokinole is indeed a bargain.

If you have the expertise, making a crokinole game with your own hands certainly adds value to your product for you personally.

Once you've completed your project tell me if you think two to three hundred dollars is too much money for a family heirloom?

The problem facing the individual making their own crokinole board is the "time test." Only will the review of the board be truly accurate if in 50 years (or even 3 years) that board is holding up. With your own creation I think the base could be improved using a different method rather than a solid piece. There is much that doesn't meet the eye when it comes to the "unseen" portions of a crokinole game.

When first getting into the business of crafting fine hardwood crokinole boards we took our design and wood components from a crokinole board we had in our family made by an Old Order (horse & buggy Mennonite.) Why? Because we knew that board was 50 years old and still as good as the day it was made. Only after further testing of our own product did we begin to retail globally and offer an un-conditional 5 year guarantee. Of course the belief is that it will last at least 50 years... and possibly even a hundred.

In making your own product I know the situation is different. As I said before the thought of "making something with your own hands for yourself" is a feeling you can't describe and that you can't really put a price on! So please... I will not in any way diminish making your own product. It can be soooo... rewarding.

If, on the other hand you would like to either purchase a fine quality crokinole game, get more information about crokinole, or, acquire some of the accessories we offer to "make your own," I offer a link to our website http://www.miracleventures.com.

In the meantime my fellow crokinole craftsman, enjoy the creation of your hands. And when it is done please post a picture of the final product. May I add.... work safe pal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Constructive criticism for "miracleventures":

Before reading your post above I had run across your website. Please take these criticisms in the most constructive way possible. I'm trying to help you.

1) As a person who is currently in the market for a Crokinole board, I had previously dismissed your website as being a "Yahoo Store" because it looks like one. Yahoo Stores are almost always drop shippers. They carry no inventory and aren't "real" stores in any meaningful sense. I try to avoid Yahoo Stores whenever possible. Being a professional web developer, I would advise an overhaul to the look & feel of your site in order to distance yourself from the Yahoo Store look.

2) You need MUCH LARGER PICTURES. I'm talking 1024x768 at a minimum! Preferrably 1280x960 or larger. It doesn't matter how awesome your boards are... I'm not dropping $200 if you only give me a tiny little peak at what I'm buying. Your Black Gold Pro looks great... I think. You've only given me 200 pixels to deal with.

I'm quite astounded at how often online merchant overlook this simple investment. Big, large, clear images sell!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
That's a sweet ride ya got there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.