Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
If you combine games, the rules say, "Choose either SHIELD or HYDRA". Does that mean each individual player? In other words, if I am playing with my buddy, is it ok for me to use HYDRA and him to use SHIELD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards reference shield and some reference hydra. Therefore if you both play with different affiliations, it could make things more interesting. I say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, p. 21 wrote:
• Players’ Starting Decks: Choose either
S.H.I.E.L.D. or HYDRA. Give each player a starting
deck from those cards.

(my emphasis)

The intention of the rules is that every player has the same starting deck. As an example, the Hydra-player would probably not be too happy with a Nick Fury-heavy opening HQ. If you do want to mix and match the starting decks, consider which cards you will have in play and if that might give one of the teams an unfair advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could really mix it up and give each player:

4 SHIELD Agents
4 HYDRA Operatives
2 SHIELD Troopers
2 HYDRA Soldiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Mundane wrote:
You could really mix it up and give each player:

4 SHIELD Agents
4 HYDRA Operatives
2 SHIELD Troopers
2 HYDRA Soldiers

Heyyyyyyy... I like this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
KnobblySavage wrote:
Rules, p. 21 wrote:
• Players’ Starting Decks: Choose either
S.H.I.E.L.D. or HYDRA. Give each player a starting
deck from those cards.

(my emphasis)

The intention of the rules is that every player has the same starting deck. As an example, the Hydra-player would probably not be too happy with a Nick Fury-heavy opening HQ. If you do want to mix and match the starting decks, consider which cards you will have in play and if that might give one of the teams an unfair advantage.

Well sure, but if each player makes that decision for himself, you can't really claim it's unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Fresh wrote:
Well sure, but if each player makes that decision for himself, you can't really claim it's unfair.

I probably came across as more negative than I intended - I definitely don't think it would break the game even in the situation I described, I just wanted to point out what the official rules say, and that if you play with mixed starters, it should be an informed decision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
KnobblySavage wrote:
Big Fresh wrote:

I probably came across as more negative than I intended - I definitely don't think it would break the game even in the situation I described, I just wanted to point out what the official rules say, and that if you play with mixed starters, it should be an informed decision

Fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way I played it is each player picks for themselves, but we did that as the last thing after everything else was setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just use them interchangbly. Nick Fury counts both Hydra and shield agents, and so does Ultron.

Otherwise it's clunky. I see absolutely no positive points from doing what the rules say and counting them seperately. It just gives players grief and make them not like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Koziol
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dont like the idea to use Hydra cards for Nick Fury, because there is Hydra Bob from the Deadpool expansion with a Card effect for Shield or Hydra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.