Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: License Questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a video game company that Might have sales (a following).
They said "Make us an offer"

Is there anyone here that can give me an idea on the amount of money to offer for a set of non-exclusive rights to a VERY nice looking off brand title?

Also since it has 3D characters, Mini's may be on the table in the offer.
The gauge the value I would think to analyze
Number of Downloads
Ability to use 3D characters
Art, Art... and branding. this is huge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So they are going to convert your board game into a PC or App game?

At the very least youd want royalties per sale. Aim for 5%, but you might luck out and get alot higher, 10%, probably not past 15% Depends on what they are going to sell the game for. if its going for 3$ then 10% is going to net you say 30c per game.

So try and get a handle on the basics of the plan before proceeding.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it means the reverse, although it's hard to tell since it's poorly written.

It sounds, like he wants the license the video game to make a table top game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a nice looking published video game. I asked them if I could license it for a board/card game. they replied to make them an offer. I was wondering how much to offer them for a non-exclusive license deal.

5000-10,000 app downloads.
Not counting the downloads at iTunes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Work out the economics from your end, how much you could afford to pay, and organised how (one-off payment, per unit, whatever). Then decide if that, or something lower, is a sensible offer. The worst thing that can happen is making and having accepted an unaffordable bid.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Work out the economics from your end, how much you could afford to pay, and organised how (one-off payment, per unit, whatever). Then decide if that, or something lower, is a sensible offer. The worst thing that can happen is making and having accepted an unaffordable bid.


So The positives are:
Title's Traction (following)
Illustration is complete and I can do the graphic design.


Negative is commitment to payment.
I can partition payment in regard to:
1. crowd funding
2. unit sales

I'll ask if a % is OK... but what should that number be? I could afford to give them my game design 5%.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First you need to determine how much profit you will make from selling the board game. Just to be clear, this is the money you will earn from sales after paying for art and design, manufacturing and shipping, and advertising. Now ask yourself what percentage of that profit are you willing to give to the license holder? Lastly, make sure that number is high enough to be worth it for the license holder.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
First you need to determine how much profit you will make from selling the board game. Just to be clear, this is the money you will earn from sales after paying for art and design, manufacturing and shipping, and advertising. Now ask yourself what percentage of that profit are you willing to give to the license holder? Lastly, make sure that number is high enough to be worth it for the license holder.


It would be cool to make a breakthrough like this... for all the other 2.0 game designers out there on this forum.

Based on illustration being completed and I'm doing the game design I could (Should) be able to offer my 5%...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aVoidGames wrote:
Based on illustration being completed and I'm doing the game design I could (Should) be able to offer my 5%...

You want to offer them 5% of sales of your game? Or you want to sell them your game design and receive a 5% royalty?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it 5-10k downloads?

It was either downloaded from google play or the App Store or it wasn't they should have an exact figure or are you guessing a range?

Is that total to date? Per month, daily?

Numbers need a context because 10k total downloads for a game really isn't a large audience and it would be a it premature to license the IP to other media

My second question would be why do you think this particular game would translate to a tabletop game?

What's the theme?

App and tabletop gamers aren't always the same audience

How many angry birds players would bother with a tabletop version ?
How many words with friends players do you think own scrabble or would bother to play

And those apps have millions ofplayers

Just things to consider

before you put any of your
own money into a licensing deal or spend money on an attorney to look over and draft a contract
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
aVoidGames wrote:
Based on illustration being completed and I'm doing the game design I could (Should) be able to offer my 5%...

You want to offer them 5% of sales of your game? Or you want to sell them your game design and receive a 5% royalty?


I would create and publish the game... and was thinking of offering them 5%. Since I am doing the game design and didn't have that expense. nor illustration or graphic design expense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
80sgamer wrote:
How is it 5-10k downloads?

It was either downloaded from google play or the App Store or it wasn't they should have an exact figure or are you guessing a range?

Is that total to date? Per month, daily?


The reason is I didn't ask.. I looked at the google play app store.
I have no idea the amount of itune sales.
$4.99

Quote:

Numbers need a context because 10k total downloads for a game really isn't a large audience and it would be a it premature to license the IP to other media


agreed, the art is strong.

Quote:


My second question would be why do you think this particular game would translate to a tabletop game?

What's the theme?

App and tabletop gamers aren't always the same audience

How many angry birds players would bother with a tabletop version ?
How many words with friends players do you think own scrabble or would bother to play

And those apps have millions of players

great examples.

and I agree I'll have no "traction" other then solid illustrations.
Quote:

Just things to consider

before you put any of your
own money into a licensing deal or spend money on an attorney to look over and draft a contract


I am not interested in lawyer-ing up.
If this is required it might nix this idea... I do want the rights in writing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're licensing IP from another company you need a formal agreement/contract

For either party not to have an attorney would be foolish and bad business
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
80sgamer wrote:
If you're licensing IP from another company you need a formal agreement/contract

For either party not to have an attorney would be foolish and bad business

Done any licensing deals for board games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aVoidGames wrote:
80sgamer wrote:
If you're licensing IP from another company you need a formal agreement/contract

For either party not to have an attorney would be foolish and bad business

Done any licensing deals for board games?

I have. Every bit of advice Mike has given so far has been spot on.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. So you are wanting to make a board game based on someones IP.

This I have experience with.

First off. Try and figure the net profit after production/sale of the game.

5% is reasonable if you are doing the art or such. 10% if you are using their art. The more of their accets you use the more you are going to want to offer as they are essentially doing the costly part in covering the art.

The more on the art side you have to cover, the lower you can go. But dont try to cheapskate them as it can come back to haunt you big time.

Personally I usually offer 10%.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thing to make sure both they and you are clear about:
Just because they have finished art doesn't automatically mean they can also extend a licence and sell you the right sto use that same art. they might have been using a limited licence themselves and you might have to renegotiate about the art with the artist.
Just make sure that you really can also use the art and not just the other parts of the game. Be sure to see their licensing agreement they have with their artist.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
Just a thing to make sure both they and you are clear about:
Just because they have finished art doesn't automatically mean they can also extend a licence and sell you the right sto use that same art. they might have been using a limited licence themselves and you might have to renegotiate about the art with the artist.
Just make sure that you really can also use the art and not just the other parts of the game. Be sure to see their licensing agreement they have with their artist.


This is true for some cases.

When I was doing Red Shetland for example I had to make sure all the artists were ok with it as well even though I was doing all the art myself. That was one of the hardest projects!

Other companies own the rights to the art and the artist has zero sayso in what happens afterwards.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Other companies own the rights to the art and the artist has zero sayso in what happens afterwards.



Yes, it's really just something you need to be 100% certain about. I wouldn't rely just on their word. You need it in writing.
In some cases people aren't even aware of what kind of contract they really have with their artists... kind of depends on how professional these people are...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.