Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Cooper
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the turn/action mechanics of the game work fine for coop or with one or two players in competitive mode, I think they really strain when more than two players are playing. The reason is that the length of each players turn is entirely random. It's entirely possible for a player with a low movement roll to spend a whole turn in an empty location (effectively doing nothing) while the other players spend their turn facing multiple dangers and fights, bagging glory and artefacts along the way. Add in the villain phase and there can easily be a wait of 15 - 20 minutes with a game of 4 or 5 players before the turn comes back to you if the others enjoy some success with their rolls.

This variant attempts to a)reduce potential downtime and even out the time each player can take, and b)keep the sense of pace and to-and-fro between players - much like the existing rules when two players trade off when at the same artefact.

One - Action Variant

Player Game Turns are collapsed together with no division between movement phase and adventuring phase. Turns are played instead as a series of FIVE PHASES (each can be Movement or Adventure) in which each player takes a single ‘action’ per phase. They continue to do this in player order (NB you can use the villain track from Coop play to record the phases. Each time the track reaches a RED space, at the end of all player actions play out the Villain and Turn End phase)

Each PHASE a player can do one of the following Actions:

Attempt to pass ONE new Danger or Cliffhanger
• If attempting a Danger when a Villain is at the same Adventure, a Sneak Test must be attempted

Camp Down/Heal
• If on an Adventure, player may choose to spend one phase to Fully heal
• If a player was KOed in the previous phase then they MUST spend one phase to recover i.e. fully heal

Interact with a City
• If in a City, resolve a city card then buy item/allies, heal etc.

Raid
• Undertake a Zeppelin or Secret Base raid

Move
• move as in a normal ‘Movement Phase’
• if entering an enemy figure/occupation space, resolve fight as normal as part of the same phase

Other rule adjustments

At the end of the fifth phase this is the end of the 'Player Turn'. The Villain Phase takes place, followed by Turn End Phase.

Note that it is now possible to have consecutive ‘Move’ actions, one after the other. Because land movement is now ‘quicker’ relative to other activities, flying costs are reduced by one Fortune to keep it as an attractive option

Because players can continue to move each action phase until they reach an adventure or city there is no longer an adventure action possible in an empty region (i.e. no roll dice for Event/Enemy card, just wait for the next phase.)

Also note Cliffhangers no longer 'end' your turn. Instead they are a delay as you need to spend another action just to complete the danger. It's the same with KO - you lose an action recovering but the next phase you are back in business.

I have used this variant successfully with my group. Give it a go and see if it works for you. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Fresnel
France
Vélizy
flag msg tools
mb
interesting !
does it significantly change the difficulty in a coop game (or competitive game with vilains) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Cooper
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried with co-op, not sure that down time is such an issue in this mode. It would be easier to increase/decrease number of actions between villain phase if you wanted to change difficulty though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Compter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That IS interesting. The downtime has been one of the few complaints I've heard with this game.

Just so I'm clear, in each Game Turn, EACH player will take 5 actions, right?

It seems this will alter the race condition dynamics with 2 people going after the same artifact, though. I'll have to play out some scenarios in my head.

Another Question:
If no one "adventures" in an empty space, then it would seem the average number of Event cards would be reduced quite a bit, right?

Thanks for this nifty idea. I definitely will give this a try next time we play.

_________
| homas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Cooper
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, five 'actions' alternating for each player. Then when each payer has taken five actions you go into a villain/ turn end phase.

It's kind of like what you do when you are at an adventure with another player and you take one danger each. But this way you are doing this with everything including taking a movement action, so the biggest effect is that it's now quicker to move over land relative to other activities. But I don't mind as moving has never been at the heart of the game for me - it's facing the dangers to get artefacts.

Yes you're right about less event cards - so I recommend taking an event card every Turn End phase (not after every action) as in the Norgano variant posted in these forums

Let me know how it works out for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Compter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we tried it at our last Game Night, and I must say that it worked very well! I'll be running this game at CarnageCon this year, and I'll be using this variant for sure!

_________
| homas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Cooper
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draco Druid
msg tools
Sorry for the thread necro, but I recently got my hands on this game and played it with 5 players.
It seemed to us that player downtime really is quite annoying (for those with bad luck on the dice).

So this variant really seems interesting.

Quick question though:

When do you collect Glory for a Danger/Cliffhanger in this variant? Automatically after the success, or only if you camp down as under vanilla rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Cooper
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We house-rule that you collect Glory after each successful test. This cuts down on admin (keeping track of which danger is passed) and particularly what Glory has been earned from combat dangers (which is immediate for some reason) vs 'normal' dangers. It also makes failing a danger much less brutal (i.e. you miss the Glory for this test but not all the others that you have passed).

The other advantage of this approach is that you can simply draw the TOTAL number of danger cards (as determined by the danger value) at the beginning of the Adventure and keep them in your hand (without looking at them). When you pass a danger card simply return it to the deck. Then when you have passed your final danger card you know that you have succeeded in obtaining the Artefact - and so there's no need for the success/danger tokens which are, again, very fiddly.

However, for the one-action variant I think you can play by original rules if you wish - either option is possible without changing the nature of the one-action approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draco Druid
msg tools
Hey Cooper!

Thanks for coming back to the thread, and thanks for the detailed answer.

I too am not a big fan of games that require too much administration, though keeping track of the glory wasn't that big a deal.

I will keep your ideas in mind and juggle them around for a bit.

It's also nice that you can easily alter the difficulty against a Vile Organisation by simply de-/increasing the number of actions every player gets before the Villain Turn.
Too easy? Reduce actions to 4 or even 3!
Too hard? Take 6 actions each.
Nice.

Thank you very much for this variant!

Another idea:

How about making "Take an Event-card" into an action?

Or something like this:

• Minor Adventure
If you are on an empty location (land or sea), you may use an action to go on a minor adventure.
Roll a d6:
1-3: Fight a random enemy
4-6: Draw an Event card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.