BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo games with 'player' progression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Plumettaz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm moving soon, and I'm trying to anticipate the fact that in the new city I will be, it might take some time to build up / find a gaming group. So I'm looking toward solo games.

The one thing that bring me again and again to games, are the progression from one "game/scenario/episode" to the next one. It can be heroes leveling up, getting weapon/armors, or a sport team improving, or a army getting new unit etc ...
I'm not so focus on a type of game (dungeon crawler, wargame, etc...), it's more about that feeling of playing a game and having your "guys" progress for the next game.

Any recommendation on game that would provide that kind of feeling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damek wrote:
I'm moving soon, and I'm trying to anticipate the fact that in the new city I will be, it might take some time to build up / find a gaming group. So I'm looking toward solo games.

The one thing that bring me again and again to games, are the progression from one "game/scenario/episode" to the next one. It can be heroes leveling up, getting weapon/armors, or a sport team improving, or a army getting new unit etc ...
I'm not so focus on a type of game (dungeon crawler, wargame, etc...), it's more about that feeling of playing a game and having your "guys" progress for the next game.

Any recommendation on game that would provide that kind of feeling?

Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game is the one that comes closest to what you're suggesting. I solo two characters through the various adventure packs.

Robinson Crusoe isn't as directly related as Pathfinder, but it does have a feel of progression from one predicament to another. I enjoy it solo.

Other suggestions that marginally fit. Archipelago. Friday (Friedmann Friese). Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed Navajo Wars immensely. As the game progresses you are fighting to keep the people alive and culturally relevant. At each victory point check you have the ability to add culture cards with additional abilities to take advantage of (e.g. horsemanship increasing the movement capabilities of your families).

The game also features three scenarios which can be played separately or as one long campaign, building the people over time (assuming you don't get wiped out along the way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Robinson Crusoe isn't as directly related as Pathfinder, but it does have a feel of progression from one predicament to another. I enjoy it solo.

The expansion definitely has the feeling of progression--it's a linked campaign, with the outcome of one scenario directly impacting the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Friday. The whole game is basically a training montage to take Robinson Crusoe from zero to hero so that he can defeat some pirates.

Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) - Zombie game with a couple of different main scenarios. You progress by researching a cure, developing a super weapon, and dealing with the growing enemy forces. One of the best solo games I've ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders (I love this game, don't let the campy themes turn you off, it's an awesome game)
Deadzone (they'll be releasing a solo-play deck soon and there are on-going campaign rules in main rulebook)
Myth (there are problems, but they swear they're fixing them, and you might be able to pick up a copy cheap)
Thunderbolt/Apache Leader (DV Games has a pile of solo wargames)
Shadows of Brimstone (cowboys and Cthulhu, I didn't back it so I can't give details, looked neat, but I didn't think anyone would play it in the game group)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics might just fit the bill. You get to carry over an item from one mission to the next, along with any skills that your mice learn as they level up during each mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There is the old solitaire RPG classic Barbarian Prince, available now as a legal download / print-and-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played it myself yet (still on the 'to buy' list) but Mage Knight Board Game sounds like something that could be for you, although it's said to be not the easiest to learn, but it's supposed to work great (if not even better) as a solo game.

Also I'm at the moment very much looking forward to Assault on Doomrock which is crowdfunded right now. This might also fit pretty much your despription.

I have not played many of those games myself yet, but started to also enjoy this leveling up type of games quiet a lot, so I'll keep an eye on the recommendations here myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because some recommended it:
Mage Knight is a very cool game, but you don't carry your buffed attributes into subsequent campaigns. That said, if you're ok with progression over the course of the game and not over the course of the meta-arc, it's a very clever design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a solo RPG? I just talked about doing that on my last episode of the 1 Player podcast.

Here's a session report explaining how I did it...
Using Rory's Story Cubes to drive an RPG

You might want to visit and join the 1 Player guild and the Solo Roleplaying guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations and Thunderbolt Apache Leader both feature pilot progression as your pilots fly missions in a campaign, increase experience, and improve their skills.

Space Infantry also features campaign progression as your troops fight through a bunch of futuristic battles. Unlike the two games mentioned above, experience points in SI allow each unit to improve in up to three different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Mage Knight is a very cool game, but you don't carry your buffed attributes into subsequent campaigns. That said, if you're ok with progression over the course of the game and not over the course of the meta-arc, it's a very clever design.

This brings up an issue I have with the Pathfinder card game, which I know is super popular, but I consider the most over-rated game I've ever played. Yes, you can advance (a little) between games, but I find the game to be such a tedious luck-fest that that one element makes it far, far from worth it. I just don't understand why people think it's such an innovation to have upgrades take place in-between sessions of the game, rather than during the game itself. For example, take the game Friday - a solo game where you spend the whole game developing and upgrading your character - and the game ends in a reasonable amount of time. Play again, and you can upgrade your character in a different way. Pathfinder takes multiple, boring, games to upgrade just a little bit - the progression feels the same as other games, with the difference being that it takes so long to upgrade just a smidge, that you wouldn't want to do it all in one sitting. Just because they call it "persistent" or whatever - bleh - I call it broken and dull. Also, all the various traits; luck, constitution, survival, etc, are so abstracted it may as well be red, orange, green, etc. It basically comes down to flip over a card... orange. Is my guy good at orange? No, he's good at blue. Too bad. I just can't express enough my dismay at the praise for that game. Never once did I make I decision that felt strategic instead of just obvious. And even the obvious decisions are pointless when the roll of a twenty sided die can mean win or lose at any point during the game. Crap. Crap, crap, crap, I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
JJRR_Esq wrote:

This brings up an issue I have with the Pathfinder card game, which I know is super popular, but I consider the most over-rated game I've ever played. Yes, you can advance (a little) between games, but I find the game to be such a tedious luck-fest that that one element makes it far, far from worth it. I just don't understand why people think it's such an innovation to have upgrades take place in-between sessions of the game, rather than during the game itself. For example, take the game Friday - a solo game where you spend the whole game developing and upgrading your character - and the game ends in a reasonable amount of time. Play again, and you can upgrade your character in a different way. Pathfinder takes multiple, boring, games to upgrade just a little bit - the progression feels the same as other games, with the difference being that it takes so long to upgrade just a smidge, that you wouldn't want to do it all in one sitting. Just because they call it "persistent" or whatever - bleh - I call it broken and dull. Also, all the various traits; luck, constitution, survival, etc, are so abstracted it may as well be red, orange, green, etc. It basically comes down to flip over a card... orange. Is my guy good at orange? No, he's good at blue. Too bad. I just can't express enough my dismay at the praise for that game. Never once did I make I decision that felt strategic instead of just obvious. And even the obvious decisions are pointless when the roll of a twenty sided die can mean win or lose at any point during the game. Crap. Crap, crap, crap, I say!

I was just turned off by the walls of text on every single card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone, soon to be released, might be right up your alley. You can check it out here and on Kickstarter. The rulebook has been released for download.

I also really like Nerdook's solo version of Descent II, which you can find on the forums here and print yourself. It is quite workable with just the base game, and if you really like it, get the expansions too.

Galaxy Defenders is also good.

Shadowrun Crossfire is a deck-building game which can be played solo, which is to be released next month, and the Lord of the Rings card game by FFG has been popular for years.

Of these, I'm most excited about Shadows of Brimstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.